This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Would You Handle An Evacuation?

VioletBlue

VioletBlue Contributor

I'm not sure this is in the right place. Moderators feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else.

I live in the Mountains of Southern California. We're entering the heart of fire season here. I heard sirens a few minutes ago and it prompted me to wonder what I'd do differently if I had to evacuate now as opposed to four years ago before my diagnosis. I have enough family and friends I could stay with down the hill, so a Red Cross center wouldn't be in my future. I can't imagine trying to live in one of those places with Celiacs. But even living with friends for a few days or weeks would be tough.

I'd just really appreciate any out loud thinking here. The usually is obvious, I've got that stuff down; important papers and photos and such. But with reference to Celiac Disease, what could I or should I take? Paper plates and plastic forks are cheap and safe to eat off, but how about pots and pans? Food? Obviously all my vitamins.

I learned from the last time that every thing you replace that you forgot to bring costs you money at a time when you're probably not going to be earning a paycheck. I just can't think at the moment. What should I put on the list to pack?

Violet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

That is a tough situation you are facing. How about stocking things that don't need a container? You know, like the noodle and rice packs you only have to add hot water and eat from the container. There are lots of different types of those and I like all I've tried.

Praying you won't face that situation this year!

Dandelion Contributor

How about stocking up on some snacks like larabars, glutino pretzels, etc? You could also get a few pre-made meals from My Own Meals. They are gluten free and don't need refrigeration. Just heat them up in a microwave. I'd make sure I had some comfort food. Maybe your favorite gluten free cookies? How about a mess kit? Target has one for $26. It has a cup, bowl, dish and pan all in one kit and is easily packed up.

Hope you don't need any of these things.

carriekate Rookie
I'm not sure this is in the right place. Moderators feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else.

I live in the Mountains of Southern California. We're entering the heart of fire season here. I heard sirens a few minutes ago and it prompted me to wonder what I'd do differently if I had to evacuate now as opposed to four years ago before my diagnosis. I have enough family and friends I could stay with down the hill, so a Red Cross center wouldn't be in my future. I can't imagine trying to live in one of those places with Celiacs. But even living with friends for a few days or weeks would be tough.

I'd just really appreciate any out loud thinking here. The usually is obvious, I've got that stuff down; important papers and photos and such. But with reference to Celiac Disease, what could I or should I take? Paper plates and plastic forks are cheap and safe to eat off, but how about pots and pans? Food? Obviously all my vitamins.

I learned from the last time that every thing you replace that you forgot to bring costs you money at a time when you're probably not going to be earning a paycheck. I just can't think at the moment. What should I put on the list to pack?

Violet

I'm not sure if this will help regarding an emergency but last year I had a hernia operation and could not eat solid food for ten days before the operation and then 11 days after. I had 2-3 cans of Ensure and a serving of Jello each day. I actually wasn't hungry after the first two days but will say I was glad to eat after all that time. I feel somewhat secure though having Celiac and knowing I could survive on this type of food diet.

Guest lizajane

Oh boy, have I thought about this alot!! I don't always keep much food in our house because I have to order it from the gluten-free mall or drive 3 hours one way to go to a store that stocks gluten free food! Plus, I have an intolerance to milk, eggs,soy,cheese and corn. I love and have to have milk daily!! We are big meat eaters and have a freezer full of home grown beef. I also buy lots of Schwann's chicken, fish and summer sausage--problem--all have to be kept refrigerated!!

I think I need to make a food order more often and keep more pasta in the house. The reason we worry about it is because we live in one of the world's largest gas, soda ash and oil fields--all of which are targets for terrorists!! Both my husband and I work at a diesel bulk plant. It is a concern!! we have a travel trailer, but that won't do much good for me without food!!LOL!

Guest lizajane
I'm not sure if this will help regarding an emergency but last year I had a hernia operation and could not eat solid food for ten days before the operation and then 11 days after. I had 2-3 cans of Ensure and a serving of Jello each day. I actually wasn't hungry after the first two days but will say I was glad to eat after all that time. I feel somewhat secure though having Celiac and knowing I could survive on this type of food diet.

I wasn't aware we could drink Ensure!! I will have to check out the milk content, but that would be a wonderful emergency item, as would Jello!! My other big concern is my medications!! Since insurance companies will only go 30 days at a time, I don't know what I would do--like if we were in Louisiana last year! I had thought about going down there to help when they were asking for volunteers, but with my Celiac and all the medications I have to take for Cholesterol, tremor disorder, spastic leg syndrome, diarrhea, i decided I wouldn't be much help. Which is when I started thinking about what I would take. One other thing I know I would take is Gatorade in the can.

Guest lizajane
How about stocking up on some snacks like larabars, glutino pretzels, etc? You could also get a few pre-made meals from My Own Meals. They are gluten free and don't need refrigeration. Just heat them up in a microwave. I'd make sure I had some comfort food. Maybe your favorite gluten free cookies? How about a mess kit? Target has one for $26. It has a cup, bowl, dish and pan all in one kit and is easily packed up.

Hope you don't need any of these things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest lizajane

What are My Own Meals and where do I get them? I live in Wyoming and have never heard of them!

Dandelion Contributor
What are My Own Meals and where do I get them? I live in Wyoming and have never heard of them!

My Own Meals are ready to heat pre-made meals like Lean Cuisine or any of those other frozen meals except they don't have to be frozen or even refrigerated. You can buy them through the Gluten Free Pantry (www.gluten free.com) or through their own site (Open Original Shared Link). Some of them can be bland so I always salt them.

Phyllis28 Apprentice
One other thing I know I would take is Gatorade in the can.

I have never seen Gatorade in a can but it does come in powder form. Just add water.

Karen B. Explorer

These are some of the shelf stable gluten-free foods I keep on hand for evacuation (or shelter in place)

For immediate need:

Lots of packages of Nut Thins crackers (plain flavors like Almond or Pecan)

peanut butter

Underwood Deviled Ham (
Open Original Shared Link
)

Sardines (only if everyone likes them because they are VERY fishy smelling)

Hormel Vienna Sausages

Spam and Turkey Spam singles

pouches of tuna and gluten-free chicken

Small pop-top cans of gluten-free beans

Ener-G granola bars -- taste great and last a long time

Lara Bars

individual bags of M&Ms for quick energy (and because chocolate is never a bad idea, IMO :-)

zipocs for the crackers and granola bars

plasticware & napkins

At least some bottled water -- don't count on having clean water right away. And this isn't a Celiac issue but I found when hiking that a pack of presweetened Kool-Aid lemonaid helps chemically purified water taste better.

I plan against hurricanes not earthquakes, so I can count on some notice and a car to carry heavier canned goods. I also stock Tasty Bites, Dinty Moore, Hormel Chili w/beans, soups and the gluten-free microwavable meals (in the little plastic tray) and canned fruit.

I pack a 2 quart Pyrex for cooking in a hotel room. If you would be staying with friends, a basic steel saucepan that could double as a skillet for one might be a good idea and if you got the kind with a built in strainer in the lid, it could also double as an impromptu strainer/collander. Don't forget a small spatula.

You might want to pack a few packages of Chebe because they are easy and cheap to make and don't require a lot of equipment.

Hope this gives you some ideas. You'll notice many of these items are not pricey mail order but stuff you can pick up at your local grocery store.

Guest lizajane
My Own Meals are ready to heat pre-made meals like Lean Cuisine or any of those other frozen meals except they don't have to be frozen or even refrigerated. You can buy them through the Gluten Free Pantry (www.gluten free.com) or through their own site (Open Original Shared Link). Some of them can be bland so I always salt them.

Thank you for that information!! I have learned so much since coming to this site and I really appreciate ALL the tips from everybody!!

DestinyLeah Apprentice

I live in New Orleans, and I spend far too much time wondering about the what ifs and the logistics of getting out of town in non moving traffic.

My best bets have been to pack safe peanut butter and rice crisps, trail mix, some fruit leather, and lots of water. From experience, the cooler is the last thing anyone makes space for when family heirlooms are on the line.

My plan of action is to grab the container of paperwork, including my SS card, birth certificate, high school papers, medical papers (including diagnosis and Celiac guidelines, signed by my doctor), emergency/ evacuation contact sheet (my friends, family, and healthcare providers were all willing to give me contact numbers and e-mail so we do not wind up unable to locate each other like in 2005, and insurance card. I have a medium sized bag that I will fill with basic clothing, one photo album, and a small cooler. My fiance keeps his papers with mine, and has a bag of equal size. Food I need for the trip goes in the cooler, everything else goes out to the dumpster before we leave. I will buy food I need for the stay when I get where I am going (which is dictated by whether or not it has a WF in the vicinity, as that is my job and my food source).

Last time I had a hardcore evacutaion, we learned how very little you actually need, as opposed to what you want.

So- important documents, a week's worth of clothing, one heirloom or sentimental object, and enough food to get you to your destination. If you have a baby, plan ahead by bringing about a week's worth of food and diapers for them, plus enough water to make bottles and rinse them out.

Hope that helps!

~Destiny (is so stressed out)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I would also get some extra tissues, toliet paper, and flashlights too to take along. Some immodium.

DestinyLeah Apprentice

Oh, wow... now you mention it. I cannot imagine getting stuck in evecuation traffic, getting a hold of something that disagrees with me, and not having immodium!

That would make evacuation even more nightmareish.

DestinyLeah Apprentice
I wasn't aware we could drink Ensure!! I will have to check out the milk content, but that would be a wonderful emergency item, as would Jello!! My other big concern is my medications!! Since insurance companies will only go 30 days at a time, I don't know what I would do--like if we were in Louisiana last year! I had thought about going down there to help when they were asking for volunteers, but with my Celiac and all the medications I have to take for Cholesterol, tremor disorder, spastic leg syndrome, diarrhea, i decided I wouldn't be much help. Which is when I started thinking about what I would take. One other thing I know I would take is Gatorade in the can.

It would not be worthwhile to sacrafice your own health to help us. There are enough others doing the heavy lifting, knowing our area is in your prayers is help enough. ;)

In the event you are ever displaced, try to have emergency numbers for your doctors, a signed note (on their letterhead) explaining your condition and diagnosis for another doctor wherever you wind up, and a month's worth of any Rx medication. If at all possible, I try to have my prescriptions moved to where I am going before I leave. Most of the time, the pharmacist has already left, though. Just as well, they need to move, too!

Hope this helps,

~Destiny

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i think another important thing when stocking up on food is to make sure it's stuff you like and use on a regular basis, so you know how to prepare it, you're ok eating it, etc.

a great place to check out as far as food storage goes is www.bluechipgroup.net

they are a local supplier that i love, and on the food storage page, they have a 1-year emergency gluten-free plan! i'm trying to build one of my own for my family...it's so much work!

DestinyLeah Apprentice

Got an answer about Ensure:

Hello Destiny,

Thank you for contacting Abbott's Ross Products Division.

Ensure

Karen B. Explorer

Last night I was remembering right after Katrina when we began receiving bus loads of evacuees and I, along with many other members of our local Celiac group, began making phone calls to our Celiac group leader and to the Red Cross, the local food bank, etc. to try to make donations of gluten-free food for evacuating Celiacs. All the pictures on TV showed the receiving areas handing out pizzas and burgers.

Any Celiac that might evacuate away from their known areas might want to keep a list of Celiac groups in their evacuation supplies. It would help you plug into the needed resources right away.

A List of Local Celiac Disease Support Groups/Chapters

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-49107235539.b0

And I will say that the Red Cross seemed rather clueless about gluten-free food but the food bank was willing to accept the food and keep it separate from the regular stuff. They put it in their medical area where they keep the diabetic food.

Archived