This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1st gluten-free Camping Trip

celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy Collaborator

We are going on our 1st gluten-free camping trip since our diagnosis in late July. I am looking for family/kid friendly food ideas (especally non-perishable). My inlaws will be there and they really don't fully understand the importance of making sure EVERYTHING is gluten-free, so I will be responsible for getting/making all the food (which is fine with me) BUT I want to make them happy as well as my 5 and 2 year olds... Any good recipes for a protein/energy bar? I want to find food that will 'stay with us' (protein/fiber) for all the hiking and swimming. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

-Rachelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

We love camping and have done a few totally gluten-free trips. Here's what we usually eat:

Breakfasts: Turkey bacon and chicken sausage from Trader Joe's, scrambled eggs, pancakes, fried potatoes, grilled gluten-free toast, applesauce made from dried apples (put them in a pan with water over the fire while the rest of breakfast is cooking), cereal and milk

Lunches: Chips and bean dip, sandwiches (peanut butter or lunch meat) on gluten-free bread or rice tortillas, deli meat wrapped in lettuce leaves, chips, cookies, carrot sticks, hot dogs (Ener-G foods buns) and beans.

Dinners: Hot dogs, hamburgers, tacos (cook meat ahead and just reheat), lentil soup made from dehydrated soup mix, "Camper stew" (precooked hamburger or gr. turkey, onions, carrots, potatoes and seasonings cooked over the fire in a big pot).

Snacks: Lara bars, Clif nectar bars, Envirokidz bars, trail mix, nuts, dried fruit, chips, S'mores made with homemade chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers, fruit.

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you're car camping, you can bring a cooler for meats with you. Fruits and some whole, uncut, veggies will stay good for a number of days without refrigeration - same goes for eggs, actually. Make sure to bring plenty of nuts along (for fat), and avocado goes great with anything. :) I've made flax crackers in my dehydrator for such purposes as well, and they're high in fat/fiber/protein. :)

We will have coolers, I just want to minimize the amount of ice/perishables I have to deal with. Are the Cliff nectar bars good? We do love the LARA bars (& JOCOLATE for me!). Thanks for all the suggestions-never knew you could reconstitute the dried apples like that-bet it would be good with the 'Just fruits' mix too!

gfmolly Contributor
Snacks: Lara bars, Clif nectar bars, Envirokidz bars, trail mix, nuts, dried fruit, chips, S'mores made with homemade chocolate chip cookies instead of graham crackers, fruit.

Oh yum, what a great idea to use cookies instead of graham crackers! I can't wait to try that!

Oh yum, what a great idea to use cookies instead of graham crackers! I can't wait to try that!

-we also use PB cups instead of the plain chocolate-WOW (and the Pamela's double chocolate cookies-very rich)

Cherry Tart Apprentice

I would suggest Bumble Bars. The chocolate and apricot flavors are my favorite. They're very tasty and kids love them! :) Have fun on your trip!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest lorlyn

Beef jerky is good to snack on. I have also froze some pasta dishes and put them in the cooler and they help keep other things cold. Then you can reheat over fire or stove. Have fun :)

Mango04 Enthusiast
Are the Cliff nectar bars good?

Yes, they are good. :)

Also good:

Alpsnack Bars

Open Original Shared Link

Coco Chia Bars

Go Raw Bars

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Love the one about bringing frozen casseroles-brilliant! I'm actually starting to get excited (not so nervous)-Thanks again!

-rachelle

Karen B. Explorer

My favorite campout food (when I'm not backpacking) is Frito Pie and it's gluten-free.

Plain Fritos

Hormel chili with beans

Grated Cheese

Also, Dinty Moore is a great hearty camp-out supper and you should have at least one weiner roast. Chebe hot dog buns would be durable enough to travel for that.

For breakfast, eggs are gluten-free and can last off of refrigeration for 2-3 days easy. I've carried them hiking for that long. Or grab a package of Pamela's pancake mix and make flapjacks. Fried Spam doesn't require refrigeration and it's gluten-free (I'd get the reduced salt version).

Always travel with apples for hunger and oranges for thirst. Both are fairly durable for road trips.

Hard Salami and sliced cheese on crackers or peanut butter on crackers for lunch with fruit would be easy.

Tostada shells and canned Taco Bell Fat Free refried beans are gluten-free (just pack the tostada shells in a hard sided container) No refrigeration required and you can top with canned chicken and salsa.

That's all I can think of and most of it shouldn't be very pricey.

rbh Apprentice

We took a backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon in April, and I posted about what we brought to eat on our blog, www.glutenfreediscoveries.blogspot.com.

Rochelle

Archived