This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Having A Weird New Symptom..

Guest micah

Guest micah

5 days ago, after being gluten free (as far as I know) since 6/19/07, and having seen some improvement in symptoms, right below my belly button it feels like I can feel something moving inside. I know that sounds really really weird and I promise I'm not crazy, but could it be a spasm for 5 days? It doesn't move from the same spot. Please tell me I don't have some tapeworm or something cause that's what I'm starting to think! Has anyone had this - am I missing a vitamin or something?

Micah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yellow Rose Explorer
5 days ago, after being gluten free (as far as I know) since 6/19/07, and having seen some improvement in symptoms, right below my belly button it feels like I can feel something moving inside. I know that sounds really really weird and I promise I'm not crazy, but could it be a spasm for 5 days? It doesn't move from the same spot. Please tell me I don't have some tapeworm or something cause that's what I'm starting to think! Has anyone had this - am I missing a vitamin or something?

Micah

When I first started I felt butterflies right below my belly button for about 2 or 3 weeks. Now it's only once in a while. Nausea is also common it will pass as well. I read every post and am still at it (up to page 79 at this time) and found every new or odd symptom that I was experiencing was felt by someone else. It helped to know I wasn't nuts.

Yellow Rose

mftnchn Explorer

I also had some mild spasms in my abdomen the first couple weeks of gluten-free. It wasn't in just one spot, but it was kind of the "butterfly" feeling too. It felt like my intestines were starting to work or something. I have the big "C" rather than "D" so just thought it was a good sign of improvement.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Micah,

I have had that, too! When I get glutened, I get that after the other horrible stuff. I get violently ill, so I have to be very paranoid careful about it. I know something that should really be useful. I have a little present for you to welcome you to the forum!

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself eight months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margarine*

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*

Snack Foods:

Utz Potato Chips (Found at Sam

Guest micah

Thanks so much!! I do feel better knowing others have had this symptom. My problem has been C also, so perhaps I've never had working intestines!

Thanks for the list of safe foods, that'll really come in handy.

Micah

trents Grand Master

It might be something totally unrelated to celiac disease, like an umbilical hernia developing.

Steve

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Micah,

You are very welcome for the list! I want to simplify this for anyone I can! It can be exhausting doing this. Make sure you are not getting cross-contaminated, either. Do not use utensils, cookware, or anything that has been used for gluten in the past. Soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, mouthwash, and many other things could hurt you. Watch out for all of those. When in doubt, do not use it until you call the manufacturer.

As far as your intestines go, you are probably right. You probably never did have working intestines. I spit up every formula as an infant, and had to be placed on 2 percent milk. I think a lot of people probably were born with it, but they only find out they are Celiac later on in life. People really did not know anything about it until more recently.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

Micah, what happened to me with the big "C" after going gluten-free was first the symptoms you are having, then at about 10 days, had daily bms for the next 10 days, Since then it hasn't been consistent but that was my first sense that gluten-free might be going to help.

Archived