This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oxalates And Olive Oil

newlyfree

newlyfree Rookie

Hey all - somewhat off-topic, but my sister has just had her 3rd kidney stone in as many years, and her docs have recommended a low-oxalate diet... I got her list of the high/low oxalate foods in advance of her upcoming visit (and was surprised to see all of my food intolerances (soy, spinach, celery, carrots and wheat) on the high-oxalate list! But I digress...)

I'm wondering - I usually cook with olive oil but olives are on the high-oxalate list. Anyone know if the oxalates make it into the oil, or if they're just contained in the flesh of the olives? She likes to have my homemade pesto on rice pasta when she visits, and I don't want to make her sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link is usually a great low-oxalate resource, but doesn't list olives specifically, just that vegetable oils are low-oxalate.

BTW, the vulvar pain foundation has a low-oxalate cookbook (Open Original Shared Link) that she might find helpful. (The low-oxalate diet is also sometimes used for women with vulvodynia.)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

So glad I found this thread.

Several of us are finding the in addition to gluten-free, df, soy free...and on and on... that the limiting of high oxalate foods help the fibro symptoms.

I hope others pop in on this thread.

good luck..i use olive oil so gald to watch this info come in.

Judy

newlyfree Rookie

Good to know about the cookbook!

I've ordered so many cookbooks since I started gluten-free (and some quite regrettably) - I'm a little wary of them. Anyone out there use this book? Have you liked the recipes?

Thanks!

newlyfree Rookie

bumping in case anyone has an answer... :)

sorry, I've been a bit busy with a hike-a-thon.

I found the cookbook to be... eh. but I'm a person who prefers to cook my own things from scratch anyway, and it's not the most convenient. it's helpful for someone who *needs* to rely on a cookbook, and eats more 'standard american food' fair, but it wasn't fab for me.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Tiffany, if you have the cook book, did it say anything about using or not using the olive oil?

judy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tiffany, if you have the cook book, did it say anything about using or not using the olive oil?

judy

It does indeed use olive oil.

Another option would be avocado oil, though that is expensive. ;)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks Tiffany,, guess that answers NEWLYFREE's question..glad it's ok as it's what I only use now.

so appreciate it.

have you been doing the non oxalate diet?

love that site you mentioned. I think it's the best one out there.

I've been having some issues with UI and my pt was discussing this diet with me.

love to pm you about it

ok?

Judy

I tried the low-oxalate diet for a little while for vulvar vestibulitis. It didn't help the pain, and I *HATED* the diet. Let me rephrase,

I really farkin' HATED it!.

Ahem.

No garbanzo beans, almonds, chocolate, spinach, sweet potatoes, popcorn, cinnamon, ginger, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, mint tea, green tea, or soy sauce? YARGH! And oh, so they say I can have ice cream and cheese and yogurt? But I can't. So blah! In comparison, gluten free and dairy free and soy very-light is a snap, really.

If it had helped, I would have learned to live with it, of course, but eliminating dozens of foods is harder than five, especially when so many of my favorites (even including the ones I already can't have) are on that list. It is doable, and it's helpful if you can have dairy if you want to be able to eat out as well.

PM away! It was a while ago I did it, however. ;)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I I really farkin' HATED it!.

Ahem.

I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR............ME TOO

MAN ALL MY FOODS THAT I LIKED THAT WERE LEFT...POTATOES, TOMATOS, GREEN PEPPERS,----&---OF COURSE ALL THE FRIGGING FOODS ON YOUR LIST.

WILL PM TOMORROW AS I'M TO PO'd to write tonight :lol:

No garbanzo beans, almonds, chocolate, spinach, sweet potatoes, popcorn, cinnamon, ginger, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, mint tea, green tea, or soy sauce? YARGH! And oh, so they say I can have ice cream and cheese and yogurt? But I can't. So blah! In comparison, gluten free and dairy free and soy very-light is a snap, really.

If it had helped, I would have learned to live with it, of course, but eliminating dozens of foods is harder than five, especially when so many of my favorites (even including the ones I already can't have) are on that list. It is doable, and it's helpful if you can have dairy if you want to be able to eat out as well.

PM away! It was a while ago I did it, however. ;)

newlyfree Rookie

Thanks for checking the book - glad to know we're good to go on the olive oil, and after that review I won't have to waste $45 on the cookbook :)

Sorry to hear it didn't help you, either. It's awful to have to avoid so many foods and still not feel better :(

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Sorry to hear it didn't help you, either. It's awful to have to avoid so many foods and still not feel better :(

Newlyfree...

so you have celiac and no other intolerances?

you sister is on the low oxalate diet for kidney stones?

Tiffany-- you were on for other reasons and it did not help you?

Do any of you have Fibro?

I have a friend who is celiac, and she's gluten-free, soy, legumes, tapaico, dairy casein and a few more things i can't remember and has been experimenting with the no high oxalate foods.

The pain in her feet of --- walking on glass and her morning 'shuffle' has disapeared with this diet.

I have been trying to do it and man it is so hard but i did notice that the fibro pain was better.

imput anyone?

Judy

newlyfree Rookie
Newlyfree...

so you have celiac and no other intolerances?

you sister is on the low oxalate diet for kidney stones?

I do have problems soy, celery and spinach and a few other things, so I avoid them. I'm pretty sure I have 'leaky gut' problems from 10 years of undiagnosed celiac, so I'm trying to avoid all grains (except brown rice), heavy starches and sugars while I heal. Only been doing this for 4 months, and the first two months I was really making mistakes so probably 2 months gluten-free ;D

My sister decided to try a dietary solution for her kidney stones after my gluten-free diet helped me so much.

I don't have fibro, so can't speak to that at all, sorry :(

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I don't have fibro, so can't speak to that at all, sorry :(

NOT TO WORRY SO GLAD YOU DO NOT.

I'm trying to keep this thread up there for my friend to find too

maybe some others with fibro will stumble in here.

good luck

Judy

Tiffany-- you were on for other reasons and it did not help you?

Do any of you have Fibro?

I have been trying to do it and man it is so hard but i did notice that the fibro pain was better.

imput anyone?

Judy

I tried it for... a couple months, for vulvar vestibulitis. Made no difference (but it only seems to help a subset of women with VVS) on my pain levels.

I haven't tried it since being 'presumptively diagnosed' with fibro, since I've got a pretty mild case and being fastidious about stress - particularly physical stress from lack of good quality sleep - seems to keep it pacified.

If you think it's helping the fibro pain, I'd try two tests - the first one is eliminating all inflammation promoting foods. I don't know what all they are, but that they include a lot of grains (like corn) and nightshades. Secondly, I'd try the oxalates. It's worth trying, when they pain's so bad that nothing else really matters.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Tiffany

Thanks so much

yes most infamitory foods are gone.

it's these mentioned before that are left and the ones i sure hate on your list too to give up.

seems we've given up so much already

my cooking is all from my own flours and now potato and tapaico gone.

can't even make my 3 ingred peanut butter cookies now.. :(

i've eaten p butter all my life...now if i eat peanuts, I sneezz, nose runs like a facuet, cough, headache etc.

all that's left is rice and rice flour..i do realize that rice is a grain..but.........oye vey...

going to pm you now

Archived