This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worchestersauce And A1 Sauce

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Since I'm new at this (just over 3 weeks) I still just forget and eat stuff, darn! I had Lea and Perrins Worchester Sauce and I'm not sure if its ok, it looks ok but what do I know.

I didn't eat the A1 Sauce but I do love the stuff and would like to know if I can use it in the future. I went to the Kraft web site and they don't list any real nutritional information about it. Shame on them!

Does anyone know?

Susan :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i had a bottle of kroger worchestershire sauce in my hand last night and it stated wheat on the bottle--so i would call to be sure--otay ;) deb
tarnalberry Community Regular

You may want to check with the company, but I do believe that Lea&Perins in gluten-free in the US (not Canada).

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:D i just was checking out the mainstream gluten-free list and it states that lea & perrins is gluten-free------so :P enjoy---deb
lovegrov Collaborator

Lea and Perrins is gluten-free. So was French's last time I checked.

Don't get mad at Kraft. Kraft clearly lists any gluten in any product in the ingredients. All you have to do is pick up a bottle and read the ingredients. This is how I wish EVERY company would be.

richard

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hmmmm, well the ingredients in my A1 Sauce (garlic flavor) are:

(an * by the ones I'm not sure are gluten-free)

tomato puree

vinegar

molasses

corn syrup

salt

raisin paste

roasted garlic puree

*spice

orange puree

dried garlic

dried onions

*carmel color

*natural flavor

sugar

tamarind

It has no warning for gluten, or wheat ingredients but I'm just not sure.

Susan

lovegrov Collaborator

Because you don't see the words "wheat," "rye," or "barley" in those ingredients, according to Kraft's policy, it's gluten-free. If any of the ingredients you marked had wheat, rye, or barley, it would have said so.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

calico jo Rookie

A1 is safe. I have it all the time.

traci Apprentice

I found a food list, dont know where now... I can look for it if anyone wants that said Frenchs Worcestersire is gluten-free. I know Lea and Perrins is and they also have a steak sauce thats gluten-free.. Heinz 57 is not BOOO HOOOO!!

When I see just vinegar, I get worried...

cdevane Rookie

Are you sure Heinz 57 is not gluten-free? It was listed on one of the other sites as being "safe". I just read the label and I could not find anything obviously incriminating. Anyone?

lovegrov Collaborator

Heinz 57 is not on Heinz's gluten-free list at its web site -- or it wasn't last time I looked.

richard

• 4 years later...
caek-is-a-lie Explorer
Are you sure Heinz 57 is not gluten-free?

Heinz 57 is not gluten free, but Heinz Tomato Ketchup is. Weird, I know. But that's what Heinz says. Safeway Tomato Ketchup is gluten-free, too. Then my boyfriend goes out and buys Hunt's Ketchup. NOT gluten-free. Ugh. I told him to get his money back. Dork. :lol:

PS: YAY for A-1 sauce! I love that stuff! I'm totally buying that now!! Woo hoo!

mushroom Proficient
PS: YAY for A-1 sauce! I love that stuff! I'm totally buying that now!! Woo hoo!

I was so hoping that A-1 was not gluten free; I can't stand the smell of it and Dh consumes it like it was, well, sauce. So every year when we come back I am condemned to A-1 again, sometimes on poached egg!!, a double whammy :(

dadoffiveboys Rookie
Are you sure Heinz 57 is not gluten-free? It was listed on one of the other sites as being "safe". I just read the label and I could not find anything obviously incriminating. Anyone?

I do believe the "malt vinegar" on Heinz 57 is made with barley malt - so it won't be labeled but it is NOT gluten-free. I think it is labeled as such but it is definitely NOT gluten-free :(

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

angie78
    Newest Member
    angie78
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.