This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Donuts?

imsohungry

imsohungry Collaborator

Hi everyone,

O.k....I know donuts are not nutritious, and I have a recipe for baked gluten-free donuts. But I want to go all the way, as high fat and calorie as I can get......I want 'um FRIED. :P I would also like them not to be too "bready."

So, anyone out there with a sweet tooth like me and a recipe to satisfy my VERY unhealthy craving?

Thanks in advance! -Julie :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Hi everyone,

O.k....I know donuts are not nutritious, and I have a recipe for baked gluten-free donuts. But I want to go all the way, as high fat and calorie as I can get......I want 'um FRIED. :P I would also like them not to be too "bready."

So, anyone out there with a sweet tooth like me and a recipe to satisfy my VERY unhealthy craving?

Thanks in advance! -Julie :)

Hi 'imsohungry',

Try this recipe, 'Calorie City here You Come'.

OLD FASHIONED DOUGHNUTS

INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs beaten

2 cups of buttermilk

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've tried the recipe on this site....turned out great. I adapted a little b/c I didn't have some of the ing. Even my kids loved them. They were more "cake" like donuts and I did them has holes instead of whole donuts. :)

mrg8610 Rookie

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I tried these recipes and thought they were fablulous. We liked the donuts better than the jelly donuts because most of the jelly oozed out while frying. However, the recipe is simple to make, they roll out well and taste just like the old fashioned home-made donuts my mom used to make. We put powdered sugar on some and cinnamon sugar on some. Next time, I am going to make a chocolate glaze to put on some. I also took some plain donuts and froze them and when my DD wanted one, I just nuked it for a few seconds and then put the sugar on. They froze really well which is good since the recipe makes a lot.

P.S. I am not good with attaching links, so if these don't work, just go to www.recipezaar and search for gluten free donuts.

imsohungry Collaborator

Thank you so much for the recipe and links! I've purchased 2 types of Kinnikinnick's donuts and wasn't that impressed. I'm not sure I'll do any better, but I've already got the ingredients on-hand so at least it'll be cheaper! ;)

Question though: what is caster sugar? Is it easy to find? Thanks again. :)

-Julie

Gemini Experienced
Thank you so much for the recipe and links! I've purchased 2 types of Kinnikinnick's donuts and wasn't that impressed. I'm not sure I'll do any better, but I've already got the ingredients on-hand so at least it'll be cheaper! ;)

Question though: what is caster sugar? Is it easy to find? Thanks again. :)

-Julie

Caster sugar is just superfine white sugar. That is what it is called in the UK and it's more common there than here in the States. It is best used for baking because it blends well with the other ingredients and tends to give a more bakery like product. It can be found in Whole Foods Market but many mainstream grocery stores may have it.

imsohungry Collaborator
Caster sugar is just superfine white sugar. That is what it is called in the UK and it's more common there than here in the States. It is best used for baking because it blends well with the other ingredients and tends to give a more bakery like product. It can be found in Whole Foods Market but many mainstream grocery stores may have it.

Thank you, Gemini, for clearing that up for me. B)

My husband is at the store now...I'll call him! (the beauty of technology) ;)

-Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jo Ann Apprentice

Julie,

Would like to have your recipe for baked donuts; none that I have tried have been edible. We miss donuts, but would like to keep down the calories (ha!). Thanks!

Jo Ann

imsohungry Collaborator
Julie,

Would like to have your recipe for baked donuts; none that I have tried have been edible. We miss donuts, but would like to keep down the calories (ha!). Thanks!

Jo Ann

HA! How funny...that's me...eating donuts and drinking a Diet Coke in order to "keep down the calories." :P

I'll be glad to post the recipe. Give me 'til tomorrow. I think the recipe is in Carol Fenster's cookbook. When I go downstairs to cook dinner, I'll find it. :)

Happy cooking. -Julie

imsohungry Collaborator

O.k...got my cookbook :)

Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus; 2004

Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

pg. 210-211

(11 years of college drilled "document your source" into my head).

Baked Doughnuts

2 C gluten-free flour blend

2 tsp xan. gum

1 tsp. gelatin powder

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tsp. ground cinamon

1/4 tsp. : ground cloves, ground nutmeg, allspice

1 large egg, lightly beaten

2/3 C packed brown sugar

1/2 cup apple juice frozen concentrate, thawed

1/3 C pure maple syrup

1/3 C strained applesauce or prune baby food

1/3 C plain yogurt or 1/4 C milk (cow, rice, or soy).

1/4 C canola oil

Preheat oven: 375

Grease 6 mini bundt orangel food cake or 6 muffin pan cups

Mix together Flour-all spice (first 10 ingredients)

In another bowl blend all the other ingredients (egg-canola oil)

Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened

Divide batter in half

Spoon 1/2 into prepared pan (2 generous TBS per mold)

Bake 15-20 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly

Loosen edges/turn out onto wire rack/cool

Wipe pan clean w/paper towel/regrease

Repeat process for second half of batter

Frosting:

1 1/4 C powdered sugar

1 tsp. Vanilla extract

1/4 C pure maple syrup

Combine; add more syrup as needed; dip donuts on underside; place on waxed paper until frosting sets.

Hope this helps! -Julie :)

• 3 weeks later...
Jo Ann Apprentice

Thanks, Julia! Sounds like a keeper.

Jo Ann

gdobson Explorer

-Julie

I hear what you're saying about Kinnikinnick donuts. But I eat them anyway to fill that void :)

However, I tried some killer...most suspiciously real tasting donuts (donut holes actually) from celiacspecialties.com. I had blueberry, chocolate, glazed, powerdered sugar...I'm dying. They had the texture of what I remember real donuts being.

mamaw Community Regular

yep. celiac specialities for us,,, they are soooooo good......I think for already made donuts they have the market!!!!!!!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I 2nd Celiac Specialties donuts! My birthday is in a few weeks, and I was going to request these as one of my presents. I'm pretty easy to please ;) LOL!!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I 2nd Celiac Specialties donuts! My birthday is in a few weeks, and I was going to request these as one of my presents. I'm pretty easy to please ;) LOL!!!

I love those donuts too! Just so pricey, they are $8 at the gluten free store. I am pretty easy to please as well, some fruit salad, brownies, and a gift card to Wegmans and I am set.

imsohungry Collaborator

Hi ladies,

I will have to give those donuts a try! Currently, I'm flat-butt broke, but when/if our house ever sells, I'll be able to "splurge" a little again. Oh, well....a woman can dream.

-Julie

(currently craving donuts, but afraid to try to make them after this weeks pretzel blowout) :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
Eric-C Enthusiast

The Polish make a great potato donut...when I was trying to figure out why donuts didn't bother me all the time someone suggested they may have been potato donuts.

I work pretty close to Hamtramk the Polish capital of the US and there are tons of Polish bakeries around Michigan so that might have been it. I'm going to try to dig some recipes up. Several people commented about them and how great they were.

• 1 year later...
ciavyn Contributor

Just to throw this up for those who want some doughnuts...I just tried the Kinnikinnick Vanilla iced doughnuts. They are super yummy, and remind me what doughnuts SHOULD taste like, instead of the puffy grocery store version. Yummy!

Wenmin Enthusiast

This is a recipe that has been in my family as long as I can remember. My mom's grandmother used to make these. They are really quite good with regular flour, but I'm sure you could substitute gluten free flour as well. We usually eat them plain and the children tend to top with powdered sugar. I'm also sure you could put a glazed icing over them.....(More of a nutmeg flavor than regular donut taste)

Old Fashioned Donuts

Ingredients:

1 egg

1 serving spoon sugar

1 tablespoon milk

½ teaspoon vanilla

½ teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Beat egg and add sugar, milk, vanilla and nutmeg.

Mix well. Add flour and baking powder.

Work into a firm ball. Roll out dough to about

1/8 inch thick. Cut into diagonal triangles

and cut 1 inch slit in center. Deep fry

donut until golden brown. Recipe will make

about 15 donuts. Recipe could

be duplicated several times to make more.

Can be sprinkled with powdered sugar

Enjoy!

Archived