This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened At Hair Salon

ginghamkim

ginghamkim Apprentice

Hi!

My husband thinks this is far fetched, but I need to ask all you experts. If a hair salon uses a hairspray that contains hydrolized wheat protein, is it possible to get glutened from the particles floating in the air? I stopped my stylist only seconds after she started to spray me. It seems that if all the other stylist (10 chair salon) are using this hairspray that I could get exposure just by being in the room and talking.

I have been racking my brain trying to think of what is causing my pain. Is this a crazy notion even if it isn't used directly on me?

If this is possible, does anyone have experience of how to handle this? Can I go to a hair salon again? Do I need to schedule weird appointment hours?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SillyBoo Newbie

I don't think it's far-fetched at all. I had problems with a gluten-containing hair product (not spray), which I assume got into my system when I washed it out or from touching my hair and then my mouth, or just from contact with my pillow. It's hard to know.

Many people have reactions from being in a bakery, pizza restaurant, or other place with wheat flour getting into the air. Why not from the wheat protein in hairspray?

I hope others have suggestions on how to deal with it. I really don't know, but I will certainly be looking for ideas when I have a haircut tomorrow! I suppose going in there with a face mask might seem a bit extreme, eh??

Good luck! And I'm sorry you're in pain!

jerseyangel Proficient

I thought about this last weekend when I was in a salon with someone--they were having their hair done, not me. I moved to the farthest seat in the waiting area because I didn't want to breathe in any hairspray. I know quite a few of them contain wheat.

I'm incredibly lucky because my stylist has a private room in the salon I go to. For regular haircuts, it's no problem at all. I do get my hair relaxed twice a year, and the one of the elements used contains wheat protein. My vanity wins out on this :ph34r: (I swear it's the one and only time I take such a chance)--but she always gives me a clean towel which I hold over my mouth and nose while these products are being used.

I've not had a problem--maybe ask for a clean towel to hold onto just in case someone starts spraying?

ginghamkim Apprentice

Thanks Patti, that's one option for sure. I'm glad I'm not imagining things.

Guest lorlyn

I took my daughter to have her nails done and the lady picked up a can of spray to put on her nails to help them dry quicker. After she did this I picked up the can and read the label and it contained wheat :angry: will not let them do that again.

hathor Contributor

Wow ... just when I thought I knew about all the peculiar ways one can get glutened :( I'm glad my stylist works in the corner & doesn't spray my hair. For some reason, when I go in she doesn't have people working next to her, so that's good.

She's mentioned having other celiac clients, so I should tell her. (Yes, I know I'm not officially celiac; it is just too complicated to explain all the ins and outs & controversies of gluten intolerance, the different schools of thought, etc., when I just want to get my hair done B) I said I was gluten intolerant and she made the leap. At least, she knew about celiac ...)

StrongerToday Enthusiast

The good thing about wheat protein in the products is when my stylist tries to sell me some expensive products, I can say "gee, sorry! can't have that" :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hathor Contributor

Well, I checked the two styling products I've been using the last couple months & see they both contain hydrolyzed wheat protein and hydrolyzed wheat starch. I check everything else, I think ... I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. (It must be the gluten :rolleyes: ) No wonder I haven't gotten completely better.

Now I'm curious what else I've overlooked. I'm so thankful I've found this forum!

jerseyangel Proficient

Hathor,

Don't feel stupid :) I had no idea I had to check non-edible items until I read it here. I had been what I thought was gluten-free for about 4 months at the time. When I went through all of my personal care products and makeup, I couldn't believe how much of it had wheat. Or oats :angry:

I'm just glad that you are now able to eliminate the very probible causes of your ongoing symptoms.

hathor Contributor

I just can't figure out why I've checked everything else (I hope) but not these things. I looked at soaps, cleansers, makeup, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Why didn't I look at these? All I can think is that I did a comprehensive review of everything I used when I went gluten-free. I carefully check everything new I BUY. I was cleaning out my bathroom & found these old products and thought, oh, I'll try these again since my hair is different and now they might be right, and never thought to read the tiny print.

I guess I should be glad that ginghamkim started this thread, than wallow in my embarassment . :D I'm much harder on myself than I am on other people ...

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Don't worry - we're all in the same boat. I did the same thing with my Roc Anti-Wrinkle cream. Didn't realize it had gluten.

Karen

barbara123 Apprentice

The same thing happened to me when I went to the beauty shop.. They put a deep conditioner on me My hair felt great when i got home but about an hour later started breaking out with DH, vomiting, and feeling like Crud.

Havent been back since!! But i need to go back but afraid :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
The same thing happened to me when I went to the beauty shop.. They put a deep conditioner on me My hair felt great when i got home but about an hour later started breaking out with DH, vomiting, and feeling like Crud.

Havent been back since!! But i need to go back but afraid :blink:

Barbara,

Don't be afraid to get a haircut. For a cut, my stylist dosen't mind me either bringing my own shampoo/contitioner or washing my hair at home right before. If I wash it at home, she just rinses me in the sink with water.

I can understand why you'd be afraid, but my stylist told me that people bring their own products for many different reasons, and many people without health issues don't want any product in their hair for styling--just personal preference.

Let them know what your issues are, and I'm sure that they'll work with you :)

ginghamkim Apprentice

Hi!

Finally better a week after my haircut...whew. I've been thinking about how to get a haircut with out getting glutened. Perhaps I'll call my salon and find out the slowest day and when only a few stylist are there. Then I'll try to schedule first thing in the morning.

Here's a business idea for anyone interested....start an traveling salon and cut peoples hair in their home when they can't go to salons b/c of allergies, disabilities or no transportation. I would pay extra to not be glutened again.

Thanks for reassuring my theory about the salon. We learn as we go!

Kim

• 1 month later...
Motorboater Explorer
Hi!

Finally better a week after my haircut...whew. I've been thinking about how to get a haircut with out getting glutened. Perhaps I'll call my salon and find out the slowest day and when only a few stylist are there. Then I'll try to schedule first thing in the morning.

Here's a business idea for anyone interested....start an traveling salon and cut peoples hair in their home when they can't go to salons b/c of allergies, disabilities or no transportation. I would pay extra to not be glutened again.

Thanks for reassuring my theory about the salon. We learn as we go!

Kim

I have a question as I was only diagnosed in July 07....when you are talking about getting sick from hair products is it DH flaring up or intestional issues......I thought I read that you can't get intestional issues unless the product is ingested......am I wrong on that?

Pam

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Technically you can't glutened unless you consume the product containing gluten. That is the official response. In actuallity, I get sick from contacting gluten. I do not have DH. I probably have a contact allergy to wheat in addition to celiacs. Who knows. The point is, when I touch gluten my hands break open and bleed. When I have used hair products containing gluten, I get sick and have sores on my scalp. Awful!

Anyone else have issues with hair dye? The salons always look at me like I am crazy, but I bring in shampoo and conditioner and I do not let them use ANY of their stuff on my hair unless I read it first. I have only had one place basically ask me not to come back. So I didn't. I found highlighting to be the safest way to dye my hair to get rid of the gray (tons), but the cost kills me. So I have been dying my hair myself for a while now.

gabby Enthusiast

Hi,

Sometimes you don't get glutened from the hair products so much when you put the products on. I learned in my particular situation, that I get glutened when I have a shower the next day, and all that gluteny gel, plus hair spray, plus conditioner, plus finishing creme, plus anti-frizz cream, plus curl-enhancing spritz...... all those things wash over my eyes, my mouth, and the rest of my body. It feels like a slimy goo. A gluten-y slimy goo. And it takes some work to wash it all off.

I don't use any products that contain gluten. If you choose to use them though, maybe you could wash your hair bent forward over a sink to prevent the stuff from washing all over yourself.

Just a thought.............

Hope it helps!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI--- IT'S ALWAYS GOOD THAT THIS POINT COMES UP ABOUT EVERY 3 MONTHS AS IT'S SO TRUE.

WE CAN DEBATE THIS TOPIC UNTIL 'PIGS FLY' :lol: BUT IN THE END..........IT DEPENDS ON YOUR PERSONAL REACTIONS................

I LEARNED THE HARD WAY.........ALMOST TRIP TO ER WITH SYMPTOMS............AFTER MY HAIR DYING DEBOCAL................

NOW I TAKE MY OWN PRODUCTS.........FRESH TOWEL IN CASE THERE IS SOME ONE SPRAYING NEAR ME...............GO ON A DAY IT'S NOT USUALLY BUSY....................FIND I HAVE TO ROTATE MY PERSONAL PRODUCTS ABOUT EVERY 2 MONTHS AS I BUILD US A INTOLLERANCE...........

ALL HAIR DRESSERS AT MY SHOP ( I'VE BEEN WITH THIS PERSON 25 YEARS) AND THEY HAVE BEEN TOGETHER AT 3 SHOPS.............KNOW ME ...........NOT SURE I WASN'T A 'FREAKY' BUT

:ph34r: LAST VISIT-- MY HAIR DRESSER --TOLD ME SHE HAD A VIOLENT REACTION TO HER DARKER DYE ANOTHER HAIRDRESSER WAS APPLYING ON HER HEAD IN THE SHOP. :ph34r:

ONE TRIP TO ER ..3 TO PRIMARY DR.........3 TO DERMOTOLIGIST...............

WHAT HAPPENT TO HER WAS BEYOND BELIEF.......AND IM NOT GOING INTO DETAIL AS IT WAS SO GROSS AND LASTED OVER 2 WEEKS..................... :ph34r:

SO.........TO EACH HIS OWN....................AND PLEASE DON'T START WITH THE VANITY ISSUE :lol:

WHITE HAIR AND AN CANE :blink: IS JUST NOT HOW I WANT TO LOOK AT IN THE MIRROR........I COULD CARE LESS WHAT OTHERS THINK.........I WANT TO TRY TO REFLECT HOW I FEEL ON THE INSIDE.............

CARRY ON MY BEAUTIES.......... :lol:

JUDY

Gemini Experienced
I have a question as I was only diagnosed in July 07....when you are talking about getting sick from hair products is it DH flaring up or intestional issues......I thought I read that you can't get intestional issues unless the product is ingested......am I wrong on that?

Pam

Hi Pam,

A person with DH would absolutely have to be careful of anything in products used on the skin.

They react through skin contact. However, and I am sure some will not agree but I've done the research and it's medical fact, you cannot become glutened breathing something in, unless you swallow some and it reaches your intestinal tract. This is where the autoimmune response happens. A person could have a secondary reaction from eating gluten, though. Once the autoimmune response is triggered by ingesting gluten, it could trigger an asthma attack, which is common in my family.

Now, having said that, for many (and this includes myself) the smell of something containing wheat might make a person a little queasy or give them a headache but that does not mean you have become glutened and your autoimmune system has been aggravated. I hate the smell of wheat bread that's been toasted....kind of turns my stomach but I have not been glutened. As soon as I leave the room and cannot smell it anymore, within 5 minutes I feel fine.

As a newbie, I have one piece of advice for you and that is to not let this disease overwhelm you and make you afraid of certain foods and food products. Let common sense reign and you'll do fine. I regularly have my numbers checked via blood work and I am absolutely not ingesting any gluten. I do use skin care products and shampoo that contain wheat and, as long as I don't eat them, I am fine. I am not the type to put my hair in my mouth and wash my hands often so that is not an issue.

There is much misinformation about this disease which leads people to worry needlessly, which in

turn makes this lifestyle very difficult. Personally, I think the smell of a large amount of hairspray is gross anyway and not good to breath in on a regular basis but it has little to do with being glutened.

Good luck to you and hope this helps!

Idiote Savante Goddess Rookie

Most "curl enhancing" shampoos, conditioners and styling product contain wheat protein -- apparently it's the active ingredient that makes the hair curlier.

Archived