This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Ate A Sandwich!

Mistilyn

Mistilyn Rookie

I did it! I did it! I made a sandwich that actually tastes like a sandwich!!

I'm not talking about a sandwich made from those dry, cardboard flavored breads, either. I'm talking moist, springy bread with a thin, flaky crust type bread sandwich!

I made the bread and I tell you, peanut butter and apple jelly has never tasted so good. (Yes, this is my very own recipe that I adapted from a regular (glutenated) white bread recipe.)

Only problem I had with the bread is that it is so moist and springy it is difficult to cut while the bread is still hot. So, make sure to allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.

Sorghum Flour Bread

Ingredients:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mama2 Apprentice

I have been looking for a bread to try. Will def try making this one!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Your timing is perfect. I am getting ready to make bread today. I keep hearing how wonderful sorghum flour is yet it always seems to be a small portion of any recipe that I see. I'll have to give this a try.

Mistilyn Rookie

I gave my landlords each a piece of this bread this afternoon. They both asked me if I was sure this was a type of bread I can eat!! Their daughter stole half of it for herself. :lol:

Nic Collaborator

Any ideas for the dairy intolerant? Would you use rice or soy milk in place of the regular milk?

Mistilyn Rookie

Hmm... rice or soy? I'm not sure how to answer that question. I'm dairy sensitive, but I can use milk in cooking and eat cheese and some yogurts without a problem. I just cannot drink milk or eat ice cream.

Soy milk gives me a very bad stomach ache, so I've never worked with it. If I were to replace the milk, I'd probably use rice milk just because that's what I can use.

Anyone who can use soy milk have any ideas on this? I'm thinking that either one could be used.

Mistilyn Rookie

Oops!

I just made another loaf of bread using the recipe as I had it posted and realized I posted what I originally wrote, not the final recipe.

I edited the recipe and made the following changes:

1 cup of Milk (not 3/4 cup)

Bake for 40 minuites. (Not 45 minutes)

Sorry about that everyone!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmd3 Contributor
I did it! I did it! I made a sandwich that actually tastes like a sandwich!!

Okay, I was soooo excited when I saw this receipe that I went right to the kitchen and started to mix this up... Then I see this at the bottom -

Sorghum Flour Mix

3 - cups Sorghum Flour

2 - cups Potato Starch

2.5 - cups Tapioca Flour

oh my gosh, I probably will have a rock. I only used sorghum flour ... I tried to fix it by adding 1/2 c Potato starch, and 1/2 c Tapioca Flour, one more egg, and a splash of water....

It is slowly rising, but it has been 45 min.... I feel so stupid.

I guess we still won't be eating a good bread yet. :(

Mistilyn Rookie

Oh no! Don't feel stupid. I should have put the flour mix at the top or made a note that it was listed at the bottom.

I'm so sorry I didn't put the flour mix more visible. :(

jmd3 Contributor
Oh no! Don't feel stupid. I should have put the flour mix at the top or made a note that it was listed at the bottom.

I'm so sorry I didn't put the flour mix more visible. :(

Oh my ... it wasn't your fault, I just got so excited about the receipe and started before I read the whole thing. thinking I have sorghum flour I just jumped right in. I put it in the oven anyway to see what happens, it rose about 2" from the top of the pan..but as it is baking it is not looking good. Want to hide it before anyone comes home from work/school. I don't want them to be excited....then disappointed.

jmd3 Contributor

Yep. bread is too dry and dense, but...

On the bright side...I will have bread crumbs for meatloaf, or meatballs! :rolleyes:

newlyfree Rookie

Thanks for the recipe, I've been REALLY wanting to make a sorghum bread! Question though - I have a problem with potatoes, anyone have recommendations for an alternate starch for the flour mix?

Thanks!

Mistilyn Rookie
Thanks for the recipe, I've been REALLY wanting to make a sorghum bread! Question though - I have a problem with potatoes, anyone have recommendations for an alternate starch for the flour mix?

Thanks!

You're welcome :)

You could try cornstarch as an alternative. I've also heard that some people substitute arrowroot starch for cornstarch. Don't know how that would turn out. I've never tried using arrowroot in bread before.

mrg8610 Rookie

Would this recipe work with skim milk? I never keep whole milk in the house, but assume that this recipe was originally made with whole milk. Would the difference in the fat content in the milk make a difference in the taste/texture of the bread? Thanks.

Yellow Rose Explorer

Do you think this would work in a bread machine?

Yellow Rose

Mistilyn Rookie

Mrg: I would think you can do this with skim milk. If you try it, please let us know how it comes out. :)

Yellow Rose: I've never used a bread machine, so I do not know the answer to this. I do know that the dough ends up very thick and sticky before I pour it into the pan. If you try it in the bread machine, please let us know if it works. :)

zkat Apprentice
Any ideas for the dairy intolerant? Would you use rice or soy milk in place of the regular milk?

I sub hemp or almond milk 1 for 1 in all recipes and have never had a problem. I make the best gluten free bread recipe from this site and use hemp instead of regular milk and it turns out for me.

mrg8610 Rookie

The skim milk worked great. This loaf came out better than almost any other loaf of gluten-free bread that I've tried to make from scratch. It rose nicely and baked to a golden brown and, best of all, my DD loved it. I was able to slice the loaf into thin slices and it didn't crumble at all. Thanks!

casnco Enthusiast
Oops!

I just made another loaf of bread using the recipe as I had it posted and realized I posted what I originally wrote, not the final recipe.

I edited the recipe and made the following changes:

1 cup of Milk (not 3/4 cup)

Bake for 40 minuites. (Not 45 minutes)

Sorry about that everyone!!

Mystilyn: I am getting ready to gather my ingredients to make bread. I am confused on the amount of milk you used. Was it a cup like the posted recipie states or 3/4 cup?

Mistilyn Rookie

Use 1 cup of milk. I edited the original post and was letting people know what I changed. Sorry about the confusion.

Amanda Thomas Rookie

THANK YOU for this wonderful bread!!!!! :D I made one loaf yesterday afternoon and Kaitlyn Grace ate 3 slices, it was so good that I ended up making another loaf last night. I used skim milk and I warmed it in the microwave. It rose very beautifully while baking a good 2-3 inches above my pan and did not deflate after baking. It slices great, no crumbled messes. It was a very easy bread to make.

As a side note I added 1/2 cup of soy flour to the flour mixture and 1 cup of flax seed.

THANK YOU AGAIN

casnco Enthusiast
Use 1 cup of milk. I edited the original post and was letting people know what I changed. Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks! Can't wait to bake it!!

Ginsou Explorer

I sure wish someone would try this in a bread machine! I'm dying to try this recipe. I think tomorrow will be the day for me to try this in a machine....will post the results.

Ginsou Explorer

Leave it to a Yankee to come up with such a great recipe (I'm originally from NH also).I tried this in my bread machine today and I only have one complaint....I want more! I used the basic bread cycle,put the liquids in first, along with melted butter and brown sugar,added the flour mixture,then the yeast on top. The bread loaf was smaller than I thought it woluld be, so I will adjust the recipe the next time and make 1 1/2 times the recipe. I used Blue Diamond unsweetened original almond drink because I'm trying to avoid dairy. I started trying bread recipes about a month ago, and this one is the best so far. It hasn't cooled completely yet, and half the loaf has been eaten. If the texture is the same tomorrow as right now, it's a keeper. Thanks for this recipe.

It's tomorrow and the bread is a bit dry and crumbly. I'm at a high altitude (the Rockies) and neglected to add additional water to compensate for the altitude. The taste was superb. I'll be at a lower altitude for the winter season and will try it again. I also purchased a heavy duty mixer with dough hooks, so I can test the original recipe.

mamatide Enthusiast

Great bread! We just ate sandwiches on it too - fresh loaf. I'll be anxious to see what the consistency is tomorrow.

This makes a nice tall, fragrant and mild-tasting loaf of bread that turns out well when using the directions noted in the first post to this thread. It took a little while longer for mine to rise but only about 10 minutes more, and my yeast was set to expire in Dec of this year, so it could be that.

mamatide

Archived