This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Contamination Topic

Shotzy1313

Shotzy1313 Apprentice

I understand this is a concern for all of us. It would be beneficial for member old and new to read and post ways one

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

the ice cube tray and bin in the freezer

contaminate by grabbing ice cubes with hands that have touched gluten, or stray crumbs from breaded items in the freezer

solution: (I just don't use icecubes anymore :unsure: ) Put your own supply in a covered container or ziplock? Any ideas?

Centa Newbie

I have particular baked goods with gluten associated with holidays, and I'd love to bake them for other people, still. But how to decontaminate after baking them?

• Product example: Non-gluten flours for making homemade bread (wheat, semolina and rye).

• How to contaminate with the product: Breadmaking requires kneading by hand (I don't have a bread machine), touching the dough with your hands, kneading it on a floured surface, placing it in a breadpan, touching it again to turn the baked bread out.

• Solution to avoid contamination: (I'll have to skip the idea of buying a breadmaking machine, and it would have contamination problems if I used it for non-gluten breads anyway, so I'll ask for help here with traditional breadmaking by hand) OK here's the question: Will scrupulously washing down my counters after kneading the flour, and throwing away the papertowels or whatever I use to clean up the counter, then washing my hands be enough?

...And does anyone use things like lint rollers on the first round of crumb cleanup? :D

FootballFanatic Contributor

kbtoyssni Contributor

contaminate by grabbing ice cubes with hands that have touched gluten, or stray crumbs from breaded items in the freezer

solution: (I just don't use icecubes anymore :unsure: ) Put your own supply in a covered container or ziplock? Any ideas?

The fridges with the built-in ice makers in the front door help with this. Not that you're going to buy a new fridge right now, but if you eventually need to get one it's something to consider.

debmidge Rising Star

Product: Anything in pot on stove or in oven & one pot contains gluten-free food

Source of contamination: using same spoon to stir all pots - gluten from other pots get put in the gluten-free food pot

Solution: keep stirring spoon for the gluten-free food separate. mark spoon with dab of magic marker or nail polish to help keep it straight

melmak5 Contributor

butter dish/jelly jar/pb jar/fluff

double dipping - dip knife, spread on gluten-containing product, dip back in jar = EVIL CRUMBS

"1 dip rule" or separate, clearly designated Gluten Free dish/jars

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melmak5 Contributor

kitchen sponge

using said sponge to clean out a gluten-containing pot and then using the same sponge to do gluten-free dishes

separate cleaning sponges, use a fresh dish towel or paper towel each time

jerseyangel Proficient

I use the ziplock--works out fine.

Problem: Shared condiment jars

Another solution: Buy the squeeze type containers

Problem: Sponges

Solution: I don't use them. Instead, I use dish cloths that are thrown in the laundry at least once a day--or more often, as needed. Good for general germs, etc, also

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

We bought something at Walmart called Cubies, they're little ice-cube size pillow shaped refreezble containers of non-toxic substance, they're great! We use them for everything, we bought like 6 boxes and now we don't buy ice for trips anymore. And they're little, so they're good for drinks, too.

Peej Rookie
Solution: I don't use them. Instead, I use dish cloths that are thrown in the laundry at least once a day--or more often, as needed. Good for general germs, etc, also

Hello. I am newly diagnosed (as of today). I'm learning a lot from reading this forum.

Question: Is it bad to use a dishwasher (to wash dished that have had glutened food on them)?

jerseyangel Proficient
Hello. I am newly diagnosed (as of today). I'm learning a lot from reading this forum.

Question: Is it bad to use a dishwasher (to wash dished that have had glutened food on them)?

Welcome to the family :D

Using the dishwasher is fine--just be sure to rinse the dishes well. You don't want to leave gluten crumbs or bits of food that could recirculate and end up back on the dishes.

We have a "mixed" household, and all of our dishes go in together--no problem.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Great idea! Here's mine!

Product Example:

Bag of chips

How to Contaminate the Product:

Hands that have touched gluten reaching into the bag and contaminating product.

Solution to avoid Contamination:

• Individual bags of chips
  • Washing hands before sharing bag
  • Not sharing bag and pouring chips into individual containers before consuming

Product Example:

Kissing!

How to Contaminate the Product:

Eating gluten and then smooching someone who is gluten-free

Solution to avoid Contamination:

Brushing teeth (w/ gluten-free paste of course!) and washing mouth area thoroughly before smooching.

Peej Rookie
Welcome to the family :D

Using the dishwasher is fine--just be sure to rinse the dishes well. You don't want to leave gluten crumbs or bits of food that could recirculate and end up back on the dishes.

We have a "mixed" household, and all of our dishes go in together--no problem.

Phew! Thank you. I was worried.

So now that you all know how lazy I am, carry on. :)

Really though, it's great to have this resource here. I didn't realize how much there would be to learn with all of this. And I always thought I had "paid my dues" being type 1 diabetic. Guess not, huh?

kbtoyssni Contributor

Came up with another one, courtesy of a coworker

Office Coffee:

Open coffee pots can get crumbs in them. Try brewing coffee at your desk or seeing if you can get the closed coffee thermoses instead.

Office Coffee Condiments:

Coworkers try pouring excess back into the container, contaminating the whole thing. Use single-serving sugar and cream or bring your own from home and leave on your desk.

I just about had a heart attack the other day. The containers of sugar we buy have such a small hole, I never imagined someone would try to pour excess back in!!!

wowzer Community Regular

My son leaves me a gluten trail I'm sure. He came home from work (Little Caesar's) covered in flour and plunked himself down at our computer. Grrrrr. I have asked him to go downstairs and change, shower, etc. So now I have to clean my computer desk, mouse and keyboard. Time to have another talk I know. I wonder how many times I've been glutened from this!!!!

Joss Rookie
My son leaves me a gluten trail I'm sure. He came home from work (Little Caesar's) covered in flour and plunked himself down at our computer. Grrrrr. I have asked him to go downstairs and change, shower, etc. So now I have to clean my computer desk, mouse and keyboard. Time to have another talk I know. I wonder how many times I've been glutened from this!!!!

Wowzer tell him if he continues to do this he has to buy his own computer. They are pretty cheap these days and he probably needs his own anyway.

miles2go Contributor

I understand this is a concern for all of us. It would be beneficial for member old and new to read and post ways one’s food may be contaminated with gluten. I bet there are examples you never thought of. All input is appreciated.

Ok so here is how it works:

Great topic! So here's how it goes:

List

– “Product Example”

Avoid all gluten-processed foods, meds, previously-deemed-unworthy kitchen appendages and personal hygiene products. If you have to have processed foods, read the labels thoroughly.

– “How to Contaminate the Product”

Don't let anyone else touch your food or foodways.

– “Solution to avoid Contamination”

See above. :)

Btw, that was an interesting lesson in editing...

Margaret

Archived