This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Attention All Those Allergic Or Sensitive To Yeast (non-candida Problems)

hathor

hathor Contributor

I tested positive to baker's/brewer's yeast in an Enterolab test. However, they have been unable to tell me what all I should be avoiding. Since I don't know my reaction, if any, to the stuff, I can't tell very well from that. Of course, it could be that I haven't eliminated it yet, and so this is why I don't notice it if I eat bread with or without yeast.

When I first asked, I was told to avoid things with yeast in the ingredients. I wasn't able to find anything about yeast sensitivity online, but only things about yeast allergies and Candida overgrowth. Obviously the Candida lists aren't what I need to follow; I'm unsure about the allergy lists.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I read something here which made me think I shouldn't be having gluten-free beer or wine, that yeast remains. I emailed Enterolab, which said to avoid both to be safe. Then yesterday I read in another thread about someone avoiding, among other things, grapes, fruit skins, and peanut butter. I emailed Enterolab again and they tell me:

"The yeast sensitivity test that we provide tests for bakers or brewers yeast. It is possible that other types of yeast can grown on foods such as grapes, fruit peels, etc, however this is not the same type of yeast that we test for. We do know that natural sugars found in many foods can excacerbate candida symptoms and that may be why this other person is avoiding these foods. We really cannot provide you with a list of foods to avoid. I am not sure, but some of the information you are finding on these websites may refer to food allergies, not sensitivities. They are two very different things."

So what am I supposed to do? I ate some grapes yesterday and woke up feeling crappy, and I know everything else I had yesterday was fine.

What do you all think of this list? Is it a good one? It doesn't include peanut butter. I sometimes react to peanut butter but I always thought it was when I have a lot and that means more fat than I can readily handle.

Open Original Shared Link

Is there a better list? Does it matter which kind of yeast is involved?

Obviously, I'm confused. I don't want to eliminate a long list of things I don't have to, but I do want to feel well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Piccolo Apprentice

Hathor,

I tested sensitive to bakers and brewers yeast through my blood. I now eat yeast free rice bread (Ener-G). Anything Fermented is to be avoided (vinegar).

That is all I can think of right now. My avoid list is at home and I'm not near it right now. I was also told to try what I was sensitive to and if I don't have a reaction I can go back to eating it. I have added vinegar back in small amounts and seem to have no problems with it. I do have bread occaionaly with yeast in it. Try it for three months and then see if you have any reaction.

Today is my birthday :D

Susan

hathor Contributor

Happy Birthday!

What is your reaction to yeast if you have too much? Right now I don't know if it is yeast, CC where I'm getting something else I'm sensitive too, or menopause that is getting me. Or something else B)

My idea was to go as yeast-free as possible for awhile and then to challenge it. Then I could know for sure if I have a reaction or not.

Have you heard of anything which would indicate that the antiyeast antibodies can create damage in one's body? If I don't end up having symptoms, I'm not sure that I should even worry about it.

If you could tell me what was on your "avoid" list when you have access to it and have the time I would appreciate it. But don't waste the time tonight if you have a big b'day celebration planned. Go out, have fun, and don't get glutened, caseined, or yeasted :lol:

nora-n Rookie

Hi

I have yeast antibodies tested through yorktest.

I have read Karen Tripp's page on candida and she has some thoughts about it, and I think her website is worth reading. She says leftovers must always be heated too.

And mold an fungus in houses are bad too for people.....just that we are not tested.

There is some info about aspergillus here in teh oxalate thread.

I react to citric acid, it is made from guess what--- mold. maltodextrin is made from starch or glucose and----citric acid. and so on.

There was a yeast thread in the pre-diagnosis folder and someone posted a link to an article in Lancet where it says that yeast can anct the same way in teh intestines as gluten d they decribe how.

nora

hathor Contributor

Thanks. I'll look up the things you mention.

I had some leftovers yesterday which I didn't heat up. Maybe that was why I felt lousy this morning. It is so hard to tell. I can come up with all sorts of other things it could have been ...

Are you saying that the yeast antibodies and Candida problems are related? Or just that the Candida diets are the ones to follow?

kabowman Explorer

I am intolerante to yeast but discovered that on my own without testing.

I avoid all gluten-free beer, wine, some vitamins (some B vitamins have yeast), vinegar, and yeast. I do remember reading in the beginning that tomatoes have a similar yeast and do bother some people. I eat them without too many problems.

I expected to have a problem with jellies and jams because they tend to be riper, more yeast, than plain fruit but I do OK, I just can't have strawberries.

My yeast reaction (not candida) is tired, fever, and brain fog for several days afterwards in addition to stomach upset.

Piccolo Apprentice

Hathor

I really don't know what my yeast reaction is. My general GI symptoms have been lots of gas, dirrahea, etc. I don't notice any difference when I have something with yeast in it. I tested off the charts for yeast. Here is the list. I will quote it.

"Your test result showed a positive score for both Baker's yeast and Brewer's yeas, indicating a sensitivity to yeast, mold and ferments. Sugar contributes to yeast overgrowth, so this is also eliminated from your eating program.

The following foods must be eliminated from your diet:

Alchoholic beverges

All cheese

Honey

Many condiments

Mushrooms

Olives

Sourdough

Sugar cane

Vinegar

If you continue to have symptoms, avoid all sugars, fruit juices, dried fruit and berries."

There was also a list of publications mentioned.

The Yeast Connection Handbook

William G. Crook, M. D.

Professional Books, 1999

The Yeast Connection Cookbook

William G. Crook, M.D. and Majorie Hurt Jones, R. N.

Nutri Books Corporation, 1989

Complete Candida Yeast Guide book

Jeanne Marie Martin and Zoltan P. Roma, M.D.

Prima Publishing, Roseville, CA; 2000

The Candida Albicans Yeast-Free Cookbook

Pat Connolly

McGraw-Hill, New York; 2002

Hope this helps

Susan :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dru Rookie

Hator,

I was diagnosed with a yeast allergy through skin prick allergy testing in 1991 and again in 2001. When I was first diagnosed I was told nothing and the only resources I could find were the candida ones. I started out avoiding all of the foods listed in the candida book lists and slowly tried to add a few foods back in. The method worked for me but there was not a lot that I could add back in due to a mold allergy as well.

I found that anything that listed yeast as an ingredient, no matter how little, was out for me. The only bread I could have was either the Ener-G yeast free or true sourdough (but I reacted a bit to this since it is fermented). I can not tolerate any beer or wine or anything fermented at all. Mushrooms, overly ripe fruit and other things along those lines seem to be more of a mold or candida problem, not a true yeast issue.

My reaction to yeast is a rash on my face and neck and lightheadedness/dizziness sometimes with a headache depending on how much I have had. I also get tired/lethargic and my sinuses act up a bit (my sinus problems are more of a mold thing for me).

I would recommend at the very least avoiding yeast (obviously) -- both bakers and brewers, vinegar of all types, moldy foods like mushrooms and peanuts, and overly ripe fruit. I also agree with the need to cook leftovers before eating them and don't let them go for more than a day or two before you eat them.

I'm not sure I told you anything that wasn't already said. I'm having a brain fog kind of day. If I get my head clear I'll try to post something more useful. Feel free to ask anything.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

hathor Contributor

Sigh. I love mushrooms. I haven't seen those on yeast lists, but they are on Candida lists. I wonder why they are on there.

Wouldn't sugar be a Candida issue? The comment about "yeast overgrowth" seems to indicate that this is the concern, not damage due to anti-Sacc. cer. antibodies. Then again, I do feel better if I don't have much sugar -- just don't know if I have to go all the way and avoid it completely. Bits get into all sorts of processed food ...

I did some more research yesterday. It appears that these antibodies as a marker or diagnostic tool for Crohn's disease or their prevalence in those with other intestinal disorders seems to be of more concern than whether the antibodies themselves are dangerous. I found a few folks saying so, though. I only found one study about improvements (this involved Crohn's) with following a yeast-free diet (unexplained as to what this meant <_< ). What I read convinced me I should try to be yeast-free at least until I know that my intestines are all healed and functioning properly.

But again, what does yeast-free mean? I found another, more specific list designed for those with Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis in order to avoid Sacc. cer. (baker's/brewer's yeast -- what I got tested for). It notes: "This is not a fungus-free or

Matilda Enthusiast

Dru Rookie
Sigh. I love mushrooms. I haven't seen those on yeast lists, but they are on Candida lists. I wonder why they are on there.

I don't know why mushrooms are a problem but I think it is because it is a fungus and in the mold family. I too love mushrooms and was never able to truly give them up. I used to eat pizza with yeast free crust and no cheese when I was vegan but I would never give up my mushrooms on top.

Those of you who do avoid vinegar, though -- what do you put on your salads? That is the one thing I think I would have problems with if I were to try to eliminate it. Just lemon juice? I've seen some dressings made with tofu but I can't have soy.

When I was vegan and yeast free I used to buy very good quality olive oil and add my own spices and use just enough to get the leaves a little damp. It wasn't the same as dressing, but it worked and I didn't have to give up my salads. I also found that getting really juicy tomatoes helped.

I'm sure that you could do something to add more liquid with lemon juice (I never tried because citrus is a migraine trigger for me). You might also experiment with oil and pureed strawberries or other berries or maybe some mandarin oranges. I'm not sure if this would work or not.

hathor Contributor
I'm trying vinegar-free, as I've thought I had a problem with vinegar for a long time. It seems to give me a head-rush, and as it's my favourite food it's probably sod's law that I shouldn't be eating it.

Conversely, perhaps we should all be eating the food we fear most. Sorry, I've been waiting for an opportunity to link to this Onion article about the Nietzsche diet:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the dressing ideas, folks. I can eat sesame. I guess I'll be on the lookout for salsas, etc. too. I'm sure there are dressing recipes. I am just so accustomed to throwing on one of my many vinegars.

I've seen a study about the antibodies going away. It looked like children reacted quicker than adults, and some adults still had them. I wonder if we are referring to the same study. Mine seemed interesting since it was newly diagnosed celiacs who went on a gluten-free diet. There is no indication in the abstract that anyone went on a yeast-free diet at all <ahttps://www.celiac.com/uploads/emoticons/default_huh.png' alt=':huh:'> Open Original Shared Link

I know. I should just suck it up and eliminate all the possibilities, at least for long enough to see how I react. Then I can test all these things I don't want to give up.

• 7 years later...
saraf7754 Newbie

I recently became sensitive to yeasts and molds..so far, here is my list- all asian sauces including fish sauce and coconut aminos, anything with wine or vinegar (all above are fermented) mushrooms (mold). ANYTHING dried with a shelf life (kale chips, dried fruit)..unless i make them myself.. (not on shelf for a month) and frozen (my dr recommended this to kill/prevent yeast but i havent questioned her for details. I.e- can i just freeze my peanuts and lara bars?? I dunno! But ive been able to eat frozen blueberries but havent tried fresh..?) I'll post more when i know more..bc i cant seem to go 3 days wout exposure. .in recipes i replace vinegar w lemon juice and just dont keep anything long enough for it to ferment (like homemade ketchup)

kareng Grand Master

I recently became sensitive to yeasts and molds..so far, here is my list- all asian sauces including fish sauce and coconut aminos, anything with wine or vinegar (all above are fermented) mushrooms (mold). ANYTHING dried with a shelf life (kale chips, dried fruit)..unless i make them myself.. (not on shelf for a month) and frozen (my dr recommended this to kill/prevent yeast but i havent questioned her for details. I.e- can i just freeze my peanuts and lara bars?? I dunno! But ive been able to eat frozen blueberries but havent tried fresh..?) I'll post more when i know more..bc i cant seem to go 3 days wout exposure. .in recipes i replace vinegar w lemon juice and just dont keep anything long enough for it to ferment (like homemade ketchup)

Just an FYI - this thread is from 2007,  Most of these posters haven't been around here for years.  Maybe you would like to start a new thread about yeast issues in this section  OR about yeast free diet in the Alternative Diet section?

Archived