This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dannon Plain Yogurt- Is It Okay?

oceangirl

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi.

I think I saw something here about Dannon yogurt not being gluten-free. Does this include their plain yogurt? Is it a non-dedicated line issue? I would like to attempt yogurt after 2 years without and just want a plain one (WITHOUT pectin- when did they start putting pectin in yogurt?!!!) Any suggestions welcomed. Dannon's plain lists only milk and yogurt cultures.

Thanks!

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FootballFanatic Contributor

I'm not sure about Dannon, I bet someone else could tell you, but I do know that Yoplait and Walmart both say GLUTEN FREE on the cup....Do those contain pectin? I'm assuming that's why you want the Dannon specific.

JennyC Enthusiast

I'm not sure how this applies to their plain yogurt, but when I contacted them they said that they use gluten as a stabilizer. Yoplait and Tillamook are gluten free. :)

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Here is what Dannon's website says. I won't eat their products because I think they are doing a CYA and don't want to say if their products are gluten-free or not.

Q: Is Dannon yogurt gluten free?

A: We no longer use the term gluten free with respect to our yogurts. Instead we separate our products into gluten safe or not gluten safe categories, depending on the specific brand of Dannon yogurt. Dannon Plain yogurts (Lowfat, Nonfat and Natural) are all gluten safe. However, all other Dannon yogurts cannot be designated as gluten safe because the natural flavor systems used might have ingredients added to stabilize the flavor. The stabilizing ingredients may be derived from gluten sources. Additionally, we now produce Light & Fit Crave Control yogurt, a product which contains wheat. In fact you will find that we have labeled both the overwrap and foil of these products with the following: "Contains milk and wheat."

Most yogurt has pectin in it as a stabilizer to keep the whey from separating. I don't know of one without pectin, but maybe someone else does. I make my own yogurt with a starter and yogurt maker. Maybe that would work for you too. You definitely have total control over the ingredients that way.....

Good luck!

oceangirl Collaborator

Thank you, everyone.

Hmmm.....not sure if I dare risk the old Dannon plain. Yes, it is the only one lately I can find sans pectin. I am a yogurt eater from way back in the late sixties- and have made it, too- and there never used to be pectin in it. It's not necessary like most of the extra things that are stuck in our food today!

Thanks for your help.

lisa

jillb Rookie
Thank you, everyone.

Hmmm.....not sure if I dare risk the old Dannon plain. Yes, it is the only one lately I can find sans pectin. I am a yogurt eater from way back in the late sixties- and have made it, too- and there never used to be pectin in it. It's not necessary like most of the extra things that are stuck in our food today!

Thanks for your help.

lisa

Does the pectin contain gluten? or is this where it is uncertain? Has anyone tried the plain greek yogurt? It is low in sugar as well.

lpellegr Collaborator

Greek yogurt is fantastic - very thick and creamy. Go for the Fage brand - the Oikos brand only comes in non-fat as far as I have seen, and it doesn't thicken up like the kind with fat. The Fage 2% or 5% are both wonderful, especially with honey drizzled on top. Don't buy the one with the separate cup of honey, you get less yogurt for the same price. Add your own.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

oceangirl Collaborator

Wow! Being half Greek I am fascinated with this "Fage" brand. I have never seen it- I suspect it's not an East Coast or up here in Maine thing? I'll look for it.

As far as the pectin goes, it's not a gluten issue- I just don't tolerate a lot of pectin well. It occurs naturally in fruits such as apples, I believe.

Thank you again,

lisa

Franceen Explorer

I have been successfully eating Dannon Fruit on the Bottom. My understanding was that the Low Fat, "Fit", Fat Free etc were risky. In fact I noticed that many of them have "modified food starch" which I won't trust. Fruit-on-the-bottom doesn't have that, so I've been eating it. Haven't noticed the pectin thing, because I don't have a pectin problem - it is a pretty common and naturally occuring substance.

Yoplait is gluten free, but TOO SWEET. So many of today's yogurts are TOO SWEET. The make the non-fat/low fat taste "better" by adding sugar substitutes (which I won't eat either - it's either the real thing or I don't eat it - yuk!)

I love the Greek yogurt but can't find it anywhere here - I get it in Nevada when I visit there - at Trader Joes.

Franceen Explorer

Just looked at Clan Thompson Celiac Food Smart List. Only the Plain yogurts (Activa PLAIN, low fat plain, natural plain, etc) are claimed to be Gluten Free.

WOW I guess I have to stop eating my fruit on the bottom!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Yeah, Dannon has never been one to work with us celiac's, so I wouldn't trust them. I have been gluten-free for 7 yrs and in that time, they have always had the same CYA answer, so personally, I feel they aren't going to change. With so many of us out here now, it would seem to me it would be much easier to just stop using gluten in these products--gluten really isn't necessary anyways.

I wouldn't trust Dannon!

jillb Rookie

Cascade yogurt is delicious. I get it at Whole Foods and Jewel. It says gluten free on the label. It does have pectin.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I was making my own yogurt because I like my food as pure and natural as I can get it. Now I eat Dannon All Natural Plain Yogurt with no problems. The ingredients are milk, and yogurt culture. I don't see any problems with those ingredients. I like the fact that I can buy it at my grocery store where I shop all the time. No special trips across town to a health food store. :)

Archived