This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Post Your Favorite Stuffing Recipe!

Emily Elizabeth

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

This is my first thanksgiving being gluten-free. I have already learned to make gluten-free pies so the only thing that I need to learn how to make is stuffing. I would like to make it from scratch (using homemade bread) but I also want to be sure that it will taste good, so if that is not the way to go I'm up for anything! I've got to make it for a group of non-celiacs so I really want it to taste good. Does anyone have any recipes that have worked really well?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Last year i made the gluten-free pantry brand of cornbread. At that point you could use any of the scratch recipes that use cornbread - checking the other ingredients of course.

buffettbride Enthusiast

I bought some Whole Goods gluten-free Bakehouse stuffing cubes and I'm doing a practice run this weekend with them. I'll report back.

I'm bringing all the dressing for turkey day this year and everyone is eating gluten-free dressing. The meal is about 75% gluten free. We are eating at my FILs house so I'm a little nervous not getting to be in control but we're going over early so I can be snoopy and make sure everything is OK.

I'm tempted to have backup food for her in case I get some bad CC vibes. My SMIL is *really* trying to make sure no CC happens but I'm still pretty nervous.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

:( My trial run on the stuffing didn't work! AHHH! Of ocurse I used the bread from Whole Foods, not the bread cubes.

I may retry.

It just tasted like the bread and NOT like the seasonings.

I may give it another try.

I used to make an out of this world Cranberry Sausage Stuffing with walnuts.

Okay...that's it. I'm trying it again! LOL :D

buffettbride Enthusiast

Here is the recipe on the Whole Foods web site. I'm going to use their premade stuffing cubes. It sounds very promising!

Stuffing

Gluten-Free

Serves 8

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Yep. I'm trying it again. I bet I could use that recipe and add the cranberries, walnuts and sausage!

I'm going to try it!

Ya know...I'm wondering in Lorka bread would be good??? Just have to cube it and toast it....

Hmmmmmm....

You got me thinking! :D I still have enough sausage, cranberries and walnuts....now...do I have yeast???

buffettbride Enthusiast

Please let us know how it turns out.

I want a plan B in case the Whole Foods stuffing cubes aren't super great. I'm not much of a bread baker, but I will if I have to!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I wonder too! I have some Flax Bread already made up. Do you just toast it in the oven at 350 for about 10 mins or so? I've never even made bread crumbs before! Thanks everyone for your responses!

Ya know...I'm wondering in Lorka bread would be good??? Just have to cube it and toast it....
Ridgewalker Contributor

I'm planning on using Lorka's bread to make stuffing. I'm just going to make it, dry it, and plug them in to my old method. *crossing fingers*

jerseyangel Proficient

I bake a loaf of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread, and use half of it to make my stuffing.

I cut the bread into cubes, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour or until dry.

I then make my regular stuffing with onions, celery, apple, broth, etc.

I used Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Sandwich bread a couple years ago, but like the Gluten Free Pantry much better.

I can't wait to hear the results!

I'm planning on using Lorka's bread to make stuffing. I'm just going to make it, dry it, and plug them in to my old method. *crossing fingers*

Thanks for posting how you make your bread cubes. I haven't tried the french bread recipe. That sounds good though!

I bake a loaf of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread, and use half of it to make my stuffing.

I cut the bread into cubes, spread them out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour or until dry.

I then make my regular stuffing with onions, celery, apple, broth, etc.

I used Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Sandwich bread a couple years ago, but like the Gluten Free Pantry much better.

Green12 Enthusiast

Like Tim in VA, I make gluten-free corn bread from scratch.

I make a double batch (for a LOT of stuffing!!), cut it in to bite size cubes and leave it out over night to dry out (or put on a cookie sheet and toast it a little bit in the oven).

Then I use as a foundation an old Wild Oats Dressing recipe with celery, onions, butter (or olive oil for a cf version), herbs, and chicken broth.

It's really good!

FrostyFriday Rookie

This can be used as a veggie side dish or stuffing.

Quinoa Casserole

Preheat oven to 375F

8-10 cup baking dish with lid, ungreased

Ingredients:

That sounds really good! I love butternut squash so i'll have to try this! Thanks for sharing.

Is this the recipe you use? I found it on the wild oats (redirected to whole foods) website

Southern Cornbread Stuffing

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free

Serves 8

2 1/2 pounds cornbread

3 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil

1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion

3/4 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup finely chopped carrot

1 pound spicy chicken sausage (ground or squeezed from casing)

1 tablespoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried sage

2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1 cup chicken or turkey stock

Ingredient Options: use a gluten-free cornbread or dairy-free cornbread. Use a gluten-free chicken broth.

Cut cornbread into 1" cubes, place on a large baking sheet to dry out for several hours or overnight. Place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350

Green12 Enthusiast
Is this the recipe you use? I found it on the wild oats (redirected to whole foods) website

Southern Cornbread Stuffing

No, that's not it.

I went to Wild Oats website to try to find it, but like you said they've already changed it over to Whole Foods since they bought them out. :angry:

The one I used was just a traditional stuffing recipe, but I swapped out the sourdough bread cubes for the corn bread.

Really any stuffing recipe that looks good to you can be used as a foundation with whatever bread you want to use, stuffing is very flexible.

That's good to know! I hope it is flexible with me. I could use a successful baking adventure to cheer me up! Thanks!

Really any stuffing recipe that looks good to you can be used as a foundation with whatever bread you want to use, stuffing is very flexible.
Phyllis28 Apprentice

Since I usually only feed 4 people I skip the stuffing.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Since I usually only feed 4 people I skip the stuffing.

:o:o Stuffing/dressing is one of my FAVORITE parts of the holiday meal. I couldn't skip it!! :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Green12 Enthusiast
That's good to know! I hope it is flexible with me. I could use a successful baking adventure to cheer me up! Thanks!

:lol:

I typed out my recipe last year, I will go back and try to find it for you.

Stuffing/dressing is one of my FAVORITE parts of the holiday meal. I couldn't skip it!!

I couldn't skip the stuffing either, even if it was just for one person, ME! :lol: It's my favorite Thanksgiving side

Green12 Enthusiast

I went back and I found it!

Here is my original post with the recipe i have been using the last 5 years or so:

I usually make corn bread dressing (I don't stuff the turkey just make it as a side dish dressing) and it is so very simple.

Any corn bread recipe will do, I just use a gluten-free flour. In my experience corn bread is really forgiving, I have used all different types of gluten-free flours and flour blends, and even have used soy milk and rice milk as a dairy substitute, and it still comes out great. You can even get a gluten-free corn bread mix.

I make it a day or so ahead and let it cool, cut it in to bite size cubes (it does crumble a bit but I try not to get too fussy about it) then I throw the cubes, and crumbs, on a cookie sheet and loosely cover it and let it set out to dry all day and over night.

The recipe I use serves 10 generously-

10 cups of cubed corn bread (I make a double batch of corn bred to get the 10 cups)

1 stick butter

3 medium onions diced

4 celery stalks diced

1 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp dried sage

2 cups chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

If the bread is not dried you can warm in the oven for about 30 minutes at 325.

Melt butter in large skillet and cook the onions and celery until soft (10-15 minutes) then mix in the herbs, salt and pepper. In a large bowl toss the bread with the onion celery mixture and chicken broth to coat. Put the bread mixture into a large baking pan (I butter it) and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until warmed through. (I also take the foil off for about 5 minutes, or even put under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to brown it up a little.

* The original recip called for sourdough bread, you can use any gluten-free bread if you didn't want to make the corn bread as an extra step.

jukie Rookie

Last year was my first gluten-free/CF/SF/EF Thanksgiving, and amazingly everything turned out great...EXCEPT the bread stuffing :( For my second attempt, I made tarnalberry's wild rice stuffing recipe which was AWESOME!!! As a bonus, it can be prepared a day in advance as it tastes even better the second day :D Here's the recipe for anyone who's interested...

Brown and Wild Rice Savory Mushroom Stuffing (from tarnalberry)

Ingredients

-----------

1 cup Lundberg Farms Wild Blend Rice (you can substitute brown rice, or your own mix of brown and wild rice, but this mix works best of the variations I've tried so far, definitely do not do all white rice)

1/3 cup arborio rice (risotto)

3 medium carrots

3 stalks celery

1 medium onion

2/3 pound mushrooms (chanterelles are very good here, as are cremini's (or portabellos), plain white wouldn't be the same)

3 tbsp olive oil

4 cups (or more) chicken or vegetable broth

2 tsp italian spices (or 1/2 tsp each basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground sage

1/4 tsp majoram

pinch cumin (optional)

Directions

----------

1. Finely dice the carrots, celery, onion, and mushroom.

2. Heat a 6 quart (or so) pot on the stove, then add the olive oil.

3. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and mushroom, and stir to coat.

4. Continue cooking, on medium high heat, stirring often, until the onions turn transluscent.

5. Add the rices, and stir to coat further, for a minute or so.

6. Add enough broth to just cover the ingredients, and turn down to a simmer.

7. Continue to cook just like risotto - stirring almost continuously (no less than every three or four minutes), and adding broth, a half cup at a time.

8. After 30 minutes, add the spices.

9. Continue adding broth, even after the four cups, if the rice is not done, but is very thick and needs more liquid to keep from burning at the bottom. And keep stirring!

10. When the rice is cooked through, turn off the heat and serve.

jerseyangel Proficient

Julie,

Your recipe looks absolutely delicious! I've never made cornbread stuffing, but I've had it pre-gluten-free and liked it.

I may try it this year, as I am preparing a turkey on Saturday so I have food to take to friend's home on Thanksgiving day. I would use Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix--I always use vanilla almond milk as the milk and really like the sweet flavor it gives the cornbread. :)

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie,

Your recipe looks absolutely delicious! I've never made cornbread stuffing, but I've had it pre-gluten-free and liked it.

I may try it this year, as I am preparing a turkey on Saturday so I have food to take to friend's home on Thanksgiving day. I would use Gluten Free Pantry Cornbread Mix--I always use vanilla almond milk as the milk and really like the sweet flavor it gives the cornbread. :)

Thanks Patti!

Happy cornbread stuffing making, let me know how it turns out :)

Archived