This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Thanksgiving Successes

mftnchn

mftnchn Explorer

Since Christmas dinner is on the horizon, I thought it'd be helpful to post some of the new successes we have had during Thanksgiving.

Here's mine:

Dinner rolls: By accident we discovered the pizza dough we were using made good dinner rolls. It is too soft to form into shapes, so we put the dough into silicon muffin cups. They came out shaped very nicely, and were soft inside and yummy. My guest who is also gluten-free, wanted the recipe right away.

The only thing is they didn't brown on top. I can't use milk which might help it brown.

I'll post the recipe later.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Joni63 Collaborator

Yes, please post your roll recipe. I didn't do rolls for myself this year, but they looked so good when everyone else had theirs. Can you have eggs? A little egg whites on top would help them brown nicely.

I found this recipe on this forum and it is awesome!

Perfect Gluten-Free Pie Crust

This recipe makes 2 9-inch pie crusts or 3 8-inch pie crusts.

1 cup white rice flour, plus extra for rolling

Guhlia Rising Star

SUPER EASY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS

* 1 bag Steamfresh whole green beans

* 1/2 can of Progresso creamy mushroom soup

* 4 pieces of Oscar Meyer thick cut bacon

* 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

* 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

* oil for frying

* 2 Tablespoons white rice flour

* 1/2 cup frozen diced onions

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Thaw onions in the microwave and drain excess liquid. Put onions and white rice flour into a sandwich bag and shake until covered. Fry onions in a small amount of oil until browned on both sides. Drain and pat dry. Cool in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

3. While onions are cooling, cook Steamfresh bag for 3.5 minutes in microwave on high heat. Place green beans, bacon, and soup in a large microwave-safe bowl. Mix well and heat in the microwave on HIGH until warm (3 to 5 minutes). Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and heat mixture for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer green bean mixture to a casserole dish and sprinkle with fried onions and remaining cheese.

3. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven until the cheese melts and begins to brown.

This recipe only serves 4, but I'm sure it could be doubled.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

I had awesome stuffing! I used Grainless baker bread, sauteed sausage, celery oinions mushrooms, chicken stock, an egg, poultry seasoning, and alt and pepper. Mixed it all together in a casserole dish and baked till the top is crusty brown.

It was a bit more soggy than the usual stuffing, but once you smother it in gravy it is just like my mom's!

lonewolf Collaborator

I always make Thanksgiving dinner at home, so I can be sure of being gluten-free, but this year a really good friend invited us over and was totally willing to do it mostly gluten-free. I explained cross-contamination and everything to her again, just to be sure, and I know she got it because we've been close through this whole ordeal of mine. Anyway, everything turned out great, especially these things.

Stuffing - I gave my friend dried cubes of Ener-G Brown rice Loaf and homemade cornbread and she carefully made the stuffing for the turkey, following her own recipe. It was delicious and everything from the inside of the turkey was eaten.

Rolls - Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix made into rolls in muffin tins. My friends' 9 year old ate 3 of them and she didn't even have to!

Pumpkin pie - This is the first time in 12 years I could use eggs, so I got to bake a pie instead of using a no-bake recipe. I used coconut milk and rice milk in place of the dairy and my mom's pie crust recipe with my gluten-free flour mix. Two whole pies eaten and only 3 of us are gluten-free! (There were two other "regular" pies there that weren't eaten.)

We had a delicious dinner and a lot of fun. They have 4 kids who are the same ages as our 4 and they had a great time hanging out and playing games. Overall, the whole day was a success!

CaraLouise Explorer

I made a really yummy corn pudding this year!

mftnchn Explorer

Here's what I did for rolls, I promised the recipe above:

2 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use a combo of rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour)

1 cup sorghum flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup Parmisan cheese ( I left this out because I can

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

I made an amazing chocolate cream pie from the Open Original Shared Link. My SIL is lactose intollerant, so I used soy milk for the milk and Tropical Source chocolate chips. It was really good! I had never made a chocolate cream pie before, but it's really not that hard. I was pleasantly surprised.

bluejeangirl Contributor

My pie crust was outstanding this time. I used half the pakage of the Gluten Free pantry mix but if you notice if you follow the recipe it has too much fat to mix ratio. So I have the G.F. safe oats that I turn into flour with the cusinart, and added about 3/4 cup to it. It gave it a nice texture and gave it a nice color. But the flavor was so much better too. Everyone loved it.

Gail

Guest CD_Surviver

I made really good stuffing but it did not have enough liquid so it was a little gummy, and i also mad a pie crust with the gluten-free Pantry mix and it was really good but a litlle dry and flakey. But they were both amazing for the first time of ever having both of them in 12 years, i think this year was the best year for food for me.

Lauren

sickchick Community Regular

I used a white rice loaf and cut it into little 1" cubes, dried them out in the oven with garlic herbs s& p and used them with sausage & roasted garlic with veg stock... it was a little soggy, but tasty! B)

great to hear all the successes you guys!

lovelove

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I made both stuffing and pumpkin pie, and both came out great; especially the stuffing. Even te gluten eaters commented that it was really good. It actually tasted a lot like Stove Top stuffing. I used the recipe on Annalise Roberts' website and the sandwich bread from The Grainless Baker.

tarnalberry Community Regular

The whole thing turned out well:

Middle-Eastern Bean Soup

Mixed Green Salad with Clementines and Pomegrante Seeds with a Raspberry Dressing

Rosted Turkey

Turkey Gravy

Shitake Rice Stuffing

Pineapple Cranberry Sauce

Steamed Green Beans

Roasted Beets and Chard with Pineapple

Sweet Potato Fries

Baked Apples

Nothing was excessively new, just tweaks on stuff I've made before.

gfmolly Contributor

This was my first gluten-free Thanksgiving, so I brought alot of food to my mom's so that I could eat like I wanted to. I made a ten lb. organic turkey with wild rice and sausage stuffing and pumpkin bars. I used

Grandma Ferdon's pumpkin bar mix-they were so good my cousins that are not gluten-free at many of them and wanted the recipe!

The best part is not being sick the next day from cc!

Terri

Generic Apprentice

I made gluten-free stuffing for the first time, since there is now 3 celiacs in the family. I had never done it before since I was the only gluten-free one.

I simply bought the the kinninick gluten-free croutons and added chiclen broth to it, let it soak it up for about 1 0 minutes then I microwaved it. A couple of family members ate it instead of the regular stuffing, they said it was way better then the stove top stuffing. LOL

Juliet Newbie

I made a Thanksgiving dinner for the very first time, and it was gluten free and at my in-laws house. But it turned out great - my father-in-law said it was the best Thanksgiving meal he'd ever had, and my husband said it was the most moist turkey he'd had (not bad for a first timer). I roasted a turkey, made delicious cornbread stuffing with onions & chestnuts, sweet potato casserole with a crunchy brown sugar & pecan top, homemade mashed potatoes, lemon garlic green beans, and fresh cranberry sauce and gravy. And for dessert two pies: the old standby (pumpkin pie) and apple cranberry crumb pie. The crusts I used were the frozen gluten free pie crusts from Whole Foods (only so much that I could do in a borrowed kitchen), but they were tasty. I did a couple of trial runs before the big day, but never did a whole turkey before. I tweaked the recipe in hopes that it would work out well, but it actually worked out even better. I'm still reeling a bit from the "success" . ;)

sharps45 Apprentice

My first thanksgiving also, so I had to not only find and try new recipes, but had to explain everything to everyone! I cooked a lemon merangue pie with a sugar cookie crust that was excellent (I forgot the butter in the pie mix, but it still was very good), cooked a from-scratch pumpkin pie that was also just great, and the pie crust was verrry good. Don't try the sugar cookie crust for a pumpkin pie- it doesn't work at all (burns bad), also made graham crackers and crunched them up and made a crust for a cheesecake-also very good. We had to cook two turkeys, though, one with stuffing (the old family recipe) and one without just for me. I also cooked some yummy cornbread.

The only bummer was that no one would try any of my pies or cornbread! Everyone said 'that's for you', but a more devious mind than mine would think they were afraid to try them. Tough toenails for them, it was just more for me to enjoy!

If anyone wants any of the above recipes let me know, and I'll post them. I got them from this forum and from eatingglutenfree.com., so they're nothing new, just the ones I've tried and liked. I'm a very picky eater, so they must be okay.

loraleena Contributor

We had a completely fabulous gluten free dinner (except the gravy) at my mom's house. She cooked the turkey without stuffing. I made gluten free cornbread (Whole Foods 365 brand), spaghetti squash, sweet potato fries, asparagus, mashed potatoes and a wonderful gluten free pumpkin maple cheesecake! Everyone loved the dinner. No one could believe that the cornbread was gluten free!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

My contributions to Thanksgiving this year were:

Pumpkin Squares (which I posted the recipe about a week ago)

Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage, Cranberries and Walnuts....my old recipe, I just used gluten free corn bread as the bread crumbs instead of the stuffing mix....and well, made my own broth/seasonings, etc.

I made the gravy too...I just did a rouix with butter and white rice flour, then added t he turkey drippings and 1 cup of herbox chicken broth. It was amazing.

SO YUMMY!!!!

If anyone is interested in the stuffing recipe, I'll post it :D

Archived