This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flour Tortilla Replacement

JustMe75

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Has anyone ever made a flour tortilla replacement that tastes close to the real thing? I miss breakfast burritos alot and I don't like corn tortillas nearly as much. I remember seeing someone on here had gotten a tortilla press and made corn tortillas, can you make flour tortillas? Or, is there a good gluten-free tortilla I can buy?

Thanks!!

:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

We like Open Original Shared Linkbrown rice tortillas and Trader Joe's Brown Rice Tortillas. If you nuke them for about 30 seconds they are quite pliable. We have tried the Teff ones from Open Original Shared Link, but didn't care for them as much.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I just use the corn tortillas, but you have to heat them to make them pliable. Spritzing them with water and/or Pam seems to help, too.

There are also rice wrappers sold in Asian stores--bit tricky to work with, but if you line them with a big lettuce leaf, they work really real.

Joni63 Collaborator

Check out Recipe Zaar. There are a couple recipes there!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I just use the corn tortillas, but you have to heat them to make them pliable. Spritzing them with water and/or Pam seems to help, too.

There are also rice wrappers sold in Asian stores--bit tricky to work with, but if you line them with a big lettuce leaf, they work really real.

Has anyone had any cross contamination issues with these kinds of rice products from asian companies/stores? I bought rice noodle sat Whole Foods that were much cheaper, but don't say anything about whether glutenis in the same factory or whatever.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I heat the corn tortillas..I found some that were 8" too, and thin so you could wrap them up.

~ Lisa ~

Green12 Enthusiast

I aso like Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas.

I think it's a mixed bag, some people love them, some people hate them, but they work for me. I throw them into the oven for 30 or so seconds each side to get warm and this makes them pliable like cruelshoes mentioned. I have been able to use these for anything I would have used regular flour tortillas, quesadillas, sandwich wraps, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

There is a gluten-free hemp tortilla which is really good for role-ups and burritos too. Forget the maker but both the health food stores and regular markets started carrying it here in Hawaii.

ken

Has anyone ever made a flour tortilla replacement that tastes close to the real thing? I miss breakfast burritos alot and I don't like corn tortillas nearly as much. I remember seeing someone on here had gotten a tortilla press and made corn tortillas, can you make flour tortillas? Or, is there a good gluten-free tortilla I can buy?

Thanks!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We use the corn tortilla's, if cooked just right they have been satisfying me. I never used them for breakfast though. We use them for burritos.

larry mac Enthusiast

I bought a tortilla press/cooker. My first attempt using my regular gluten-free flour mix was extremely dissapointing. I ate them, but they were hard and tasteless. Need to try different gluten-free blends.

I'm with you, I like corn, but get tired of it and miss the flour tortillas. Still serve the flour ones to my wife though.

best regards, lm

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Well thanks for all the replys. I was afraid this might be the answer I would get though :(

Just like good bread could make a sandwich great, a good flour tortilla was the best! I think I still might be going through some food mourning so maybe I will forget what they tasted like, and the rice kind that I thought kinda tasted like I had wrapped my egg burrito in a paper towel, will taste "normal" to me.

Good corn tortillas are great for some things too but I just can't imagine them with egg burritos. Hey maybe I will try an egg taco! It's funny how you learn to be creatiive with this diet.

Thanks again

:D

little-c Contributor

I have to agree that this diet forces you to be creative. There really is a lot of good, tasty food out there that's gluten-free. Unfortunately, some things cannot be re-created. There's gluten in everything for a reason! I'm 8 months into this and I've learned that my tastes have changed. I still have days when I feel deprived, but have a whole new list of favorite foods to enjoy.

PaEMS Newbie
I aso like Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas.

I think it's a mixed bag, some people love them, some people hate them, but they work for me. I throw them into the oven for 30 or so seconds each side to get warm and this makes them pliable like cruelshoes mentioned. I have been able to use these for anything I would have used regular flour tortillas, quesadillas, sandwich wraps, etc.

where in the world can I find them i went to there site but was unable to access there store finder.

gadgetgirl Newbie
Hey maybe I will try an egg taco! It's funny how you learn to be creatiive with this diet.

I LOVE egg tacos! I use the blue corn taco shells from Whole Foods. Have them almost every morning. Am grumpy when I don't get my fix. Like you, I don't care for the soft corn tortillas.

I did try the Food for Life Brown Rice ones once - they were pretty good - but the store that sold them closed - haven't found a new source yet.

mnsny Newbie

Can I eat peanut butter . . . how about popcorn?

Thanks (Diagnosed FRIDAY Nov 30, 2007) ;)

Thanks!!

JustMe75 Enthusiast
Can I eat peanut butter . . . how about popcorn?

Thanks (Diagnosed FRIDAY Nov 30, 2007) ;)

Yes you can have peanut butter (probably not all brands though). I know Skippy says on their website they are gluten free, thats the kind I eat. From what I have read most popcorn looks ok. I did see somewhere that Act II extreme butter is not ok. But most others seem to be.

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi!

I've posted this before in other threads, but I will happily post again! I hope you try this recipe. I have to say this is one recipe that my entire family agrees that the gluten-free replacement food is actually better than the original gluten food.

We LOVE our tortillas. We eat them every day, can't make enough of them. Okay enough praise, here it is:

1 package of Chebe pizza mix

2 eggs

2T oil

2T parmesean cheese

2T pamela's baking mix

2T flax meal

enough milk to make a soft dough.

I usually double the recipe by doubling everything and using a 1 pack of chebe pizza & 1 pack of chebe bread stick mix.

Once you have a soft dough formed, pull off golf ball size chunks and roll it out as thin as you can (I do it in a zip lock baggie that has had the sides and bottom cut open). Then cook in a UNgreased skillet over med./low heat until browned on each side. I usually get 7 tortillas from one batch or 14 from 2 batches.

These keep well in fridge or freezer. No need for paper between, they don't stick. They microwave really well and are chewy and pliable when warm and do not break apart. They are heaven! We use them for burritos, quesidilla and the usual but also they make really, really wonderful personal pizzas! Put tortilla on a cookie sheet, top it how you like then stick it in the oven until toppings are all melty and good. I promise that if you go through the effort of making these you will have found what you are looking for!

Enjoy!

Barb

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Barb, you are my hero.

Cam's Mom Contributor

I hope they turn out for you. I know it sounds over board but seriously, we've got great bread and tortillas so with the exception of really missing going out to restaurants, our lives have returned to 100% normal and we're missing nothing!!

Enjoy, and let me know if you have trouble with the recipe - I can offer tech. support :D

barb

JennyC Enthusiast
I hope they turn out for you. I know it sounds over board but seriously, we've got great bread and tortillas so with the exception of really missing going out to restaurants, our lives have returned to 100% normal and we're missing nothing!!

Enjoy, and let me know if you have trouble with the recipe - I can offer tech. support :D

barb

I'd also like to thank you for the recipe. It's been nine months and still have not found a tortilla that we like. My son does not like the teff and brown rice and corn tortillas seem to crack if I try to make a burrito...even if I do spray them with water and microwave them first.

Thank you again. :D

GRUMP 1 Contributor
Hi!

I've posted this before in other threads, but I will happily post again! I hope you try this recipe. I have to say this is one recipe that my entire family agrees that the gluten-free replacement food is actually better than the original gluten food.

We LOVE our tortillas. We eat them every day, can't make enough of them. Okay enough praise, here it is:

1 package of Chebe pizza mix

2 eggs

2T oil

2T parmesean cheese

2T pamela's baking mix

2T flax meal

enough milk to make a soft dough.

I usually double the recipe by doubling everything and using a 1 pack of chebe pizza & 1 pack of chebe bread stick mix.

Once you have a soft dough formed, pull off golf ball size chunks and roll it out as thin as you can (I do it in a zip lock baggie that has had the sides and bottom cut open). Then cook in a UNgreased skillet over med./low heat until browned on each side. I usually get 7 tortillas from one batch or 14 from 2 batches.

These keep well in fridge or freezer. No need for paper between, they don't stick. They microwave really well and are chewy and pliable when warm and do not break apart. They are heaven! We use them for burritos, quesidilla and the usual but also they make really, really wonderful personal pizzas! Put tortilla on a cookie sheet, top it how you like then stick it in the oven until toppings are all melty and good. I promise that if you go through the effort of making these you will have found what you are looking for!

Enjoy!

Barb

Can I use any baking mix on this? Is baking mix the same as flour? Want to try this but not sure of these 2 things.

Thank you,

Grump

Cam's Mom Contributor

I think you could sub any "flour" mix for the Pamela's (2T) but don't sub out the Chebe mix - that is the basis for the recipe. It would probably work with just chebe and the regular chebe directions - I just like adding flax to evertything and I was trying to lighten it up a bit with the pamela's as chebe can be a little chewy and heavy.

barb

Cam's Mom Contributor

I think you could sub any "flour" mix for the Pamela's (2T) but don't sub out the Chebe mix - that is the basis for the recipe. It would probably work with just chebe and the regular chebe directions - I just like adding flax to evertything and I was trying to lighten it up a bit with the pamela's as chebe can be a little chewy and heavy.

barb

MNBeth Explorer

Before going gluten-free I was milling my wheat and making all my bread products, including tortillas, myself. I wasn't happy with the 100 percent whole wheat tortillas until I started using my regular whole wheat yeast bread dough to make them. Seemed like the same added ingredients (eggs, milk, lecithin) that made the bread tender helped to make the tortillas tender.

So I'm wondering whether the same thing might work for tortillas. I don't suppose anyone has tried it, have they? I'm still just getting started w/gluten-free baking (and hating being a newbie at something I used to be really good at!), so I haven't even found a bread recipe I'm crazy about, yet.

(I know everyone raves about the Chebe mixes, and I'm sure they're tasty. But I am both completely aghast at the cost of those tiny packets and unimpressed with the absence of any of nutritional value. The transition from 100 percent whole grain bread products to gluten-free starchy baking has, indeed, been frustrating for me.)

larry mac Enthusiast
...... Seemed like the same added ingredients (eggs, milk, lecithin) that made the bread tender helped to make the tortillas tender.

So I'm wondering whether the same thing might work for {gluten-free} tortillas. I don't suppose anyone has tried it, have they?....

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Gluten free products need all the help they can get.

I had a good friend that used to make good Cuban bread with nothing but regular flour, water, salt, and yeast. He used coffee cans after he filled up his bread pans. I have always tended to throw everything in there. Either way, the bread usually came out great.

I have every alternative gluten-free flour and starch available in the north central Texas area (population <> 10 million of all nationalities). As far as I can determine, nothing can replace the amazing physical properties of wheat flour. I use four flours and three starches in my regular blend. I haven't been able to make a decent bread yet.

I sometimes wonder if I'm living in an alternate universe than those that claim they make great bread. (lol) :wacko: Perhaps my expectations are too high, or I simply don't know what I'm doing. :unsure:

.....(I know everyone raves about the Chebe mixes, and I'm sure they're tasty. But I am both completely aghast at the cost of those tiny packets and unimpressed with the absence of any of nutritional value.....)

The packaged gluten-free mixes are nothing more than the same ingredients we all have in our gluten-free kitchens. There's no "secret ingredient" in them. It say's right on the package what they are. And ingredients are supposed to be listed by weight, so with some trial and error, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the approximate ratios. Then one could make these mixes at home for very little cost. I haven't tried the Chebe mix (haven't seen it anywhere), so maybe I should order some online.

best regards, lm

Archived