This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calling All Celiac Or Gluten Intolerant Vegetarians!calling All Celiac Or Gluten Intolerant Vegetarians!

hipretty

hipretty Apprentice

CALLING ALL CELIAC OR GLUTEN INTOLERANT VEGETARIANS!!!!

I usually buy Gardenbuger Breakfast sausage (patties) by the case, because it is the only gluten free vegetarian sausage made here in the USA.

When my family has spaghetti and vegetarian Italian Sausage I use these for my son and myself.

My Mom went to order a case for me through her PUBLIX and the manager told her that GARDENBURGER was just bought out by MORNINGSTAR FARMS!

This is pretty devastating as MORNINGSTAR FARMS is not at all a Celiac friendly operation...plus they have their own breakfast sausage... links and patties ...so I am thinking they will not be making a 3rd breakfast sausage gluten free for the Celiac Population, when up to now none of their meat analogs are gluten free.

I just called the GARDENBURGER number 1-(800)-459-7079

and they passed the buck by sending me to a MORNINGSTAR FARMS extension. It seems they only acquired them a couple of weeks ago and this was the first call they received regarding this gluten-free Vegetarian product.

They did not even realize this gluten-free Sausage Product was gluten-free!!!!

It is such a shame to see this happen as Gardenburger was the first veggie burger years ago and they seem to be the only meat analog company that is not only gluten-free friendly, but they had a burger for wheat Intolerants (that had oats) and a Vegan veggie burger that was egg free as well.

In this day and age of Gluten Free awareness as well as Autism Awareness (and so many in the Autism Population, now eating gluten-free, and MS Sufferers and many with Down Syndrome) it would be a real shame to lose these products, with the recent advancements in gluten-free Awareness made.

If any of you Vegetarians feel inclined to plead our case the number they sent me to was 1-800-962-0120.

Also even those Non-vegetarians who cannot imagine life without your burgers and meats / those of you with Special Needs Familly Members whose children are gluten-free although not necessarily vegetarians... You cannot imagine how limited meat analogs are amongst celiac Veg's)

PLEASE Please call them and request they not remove gluten-free Sausages from their line of products. The only other gluten-free Meatl analog product I know of in the USA is Tofu Pups by Lightline. They used to have many more gluten-free Products, but they went ahead and "New and Improved" their products by adding wheat or malt flavering to their Chicken free strips and their Italian sausage.

Thank you.

Love & Light

Tee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moldlady Rookie

Tee,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I unfortunately had to stop eating most of those meat analogs because they had too much "sugar" in them for my systemic fungus. Also they had other stuff that "fed" the yeast/fungus too like potato starch flour or corn starch flour.

I agree with you that it gets increasingly harder and harder to eat right and be well. It seems like real veggies in their own package eaten raw or steamed is the best food for us. Gluten free oats with blueberries or walnuts for breakfast occasionally or a granny smith apple with cashew butter on it is quite filling. I usually have some sort of green salad and steamed veggies for dinner and maybe rice pasta. Just recently going all gluten free, I've added healthy eggs back into my diet/lifestyle for some variation. :( HOpefully, in the future, I can get off those again.

moldlady :)

P.s. I do have a pretty good recipe for making your own gluten free oat patties. If you are interested JLMK. :)

hipretty Apprentice
Tee,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I unfortunately had to stop eating most of those meat analogs because they had too much "sugar" in them for my systemic fungus. Also they had other stuff that "fed" the yeast/fungus too like potato starch flour or corn starch flour.

I agree with you that it gets increasingly harder and harder to eat right and be well. It seems like real veggies in their own package eaten raw or steamed is the best food for us. Gluten free oats with blueberries or walnuts for breakfast occasionally or a granny smith apple with cashew butter on it is quite filling. I usually have some sort of green salad and steamed veggies for dinner and maybe rice pasta. Just recently going all gluten free, I've added healthy eggs back into my diet/lifestyle for some variation. :( HOpefully, in the future, I can get off those again.

moldlady :)

P.s. I do have a pretty good recipe for making your own gluten free oat patties. If you are interested JLMK. :)

Hi Moldlady,

Yes I understand often times other things "trigger" ailment and sometimes we cannot be completely sure if it is gluten or other. I am sure you have learned the hard way that it is often the "other".

Oat patties??? Are you using the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Oats, or the McCann's Irish?

I am one of those people that would get sick from oats, but someone suggested McCann's Irish?

'

I would be interested in the patties. Are they pancake like or denser / breadier?

Love & Light

moldlady Rookie
Hi Moldlady,

Yes I understand often times other things "trigger" ailment and sometimes we cannot be completely sure if it is gluten or other. I am sure you have learned the hard way that it is often the "other".

Oat patties??? Are you using the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Oats, or the McCann's Irish?

I am one of those people that would get sick from oats, but someone suggested McCann's Irish?

'

I would be interested in the patties. Are they pancake like or denser / breadier?

Love & Light

Hi Pretty,

Yes, use the Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats. But if oats make you sick then you would not like the recipe. They are like a burger and dense. No breading.

ML

ZatKat Rookie

I will contact morning star farms! I am currently living in France but when I go back I want to have veggie burgers and veggie sausage too! yikes!

ZatKat Rookie

ok. I'm in France, but I just filled out their contact us form on their website.. I also posted a message about this on a vegetarian website asking people to do it too! I mentioned the sausage patties and asked for more products to be gluten free.

dbmamaz Explorer

BTW, when I was a vegitarian, I used to make soysage from scratch, from a recipe in the farm cookbook. It was funny because the main ingredient is the pulp left over from making soy milk, except I never liked soymilk, I only loved the soysage. The recipe does call for whole wheat flour, but I'm sure you could come up w a substitute for that pretty easily. I actually made soysage pigs-in-a-blanket for a big party once, and it was a huge hit.

OF course, go for it and let corporate world know there is a vegan gluten-free market, but there are other options too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hipretty Apprentice
Hi Pretty,

Yes, use the Bob's Red Mill gluten free oats. But if oats make you sick then you would not like the recipe. They are like a burger and dense. No breading.

ML

Moldlady,

I LOVE and miss oats so much...I used to weight train and lived on oats (a trigger maybe) it was a breakfast, lucnh sprinkled into yoghurt and dessert too. But Bob's gluten-free was not out then, and I didn't try McCann's.

I would LOVE the recipe anyway, because I would try it with Kasha which I adore (or maybe chance the gluten-free Oats). Is everyone doing oats these days???

Wow! GIG the last time I checked was still saying no to oats.

I don't know that it is a replacement for sausage patties :-) but I'd like to try them anyway. Thank you.

@- - - - - ->- - - - - - >- - - -

Thank you all others who are willing to help with the vehetarian items.

Love & Light

Tee

moldlady Rookie

Oatmeal-pecan burgers 350 F. 25

• 3 months later...
hipretty Apprentice
Oatmeal-pecan burgers 350 F. 25’ turn 20 ‘ more (phase I vegan)

Boil:

hipretty Apprentice

I forgot to add...I bought some quinoa flakes and I probably will try it with this.

Love & Light.

Tee

Ann1231 Enthusiast

thank you for the information. I like being vegetarian but tend to eat too many carbs. I'm needing to find filling alternatives that keep me vegetarian and, of course, gluten free. I was going to go shopping and look at some of these meat alternatives but the more I read posts like yours, the more I think I'll just skip them altogether.

Ann

• 5 years later...
hipretty Apprentice

It has been a very long time since I posted this…got pretty fed up with gluten-free vegetarian companies after this.

Since the passing of laws forced to acknowledge gluten in products (remember when they did not need to disclose this folks?)  :rolleyes:

There has been a huge trend the try "The Gluten Free Diet"!!!

I am hoping to generate some action on this thread perhaps new companies have cropped up with the huge surge of gluten-free people.

I have found this site for gluten-free Vegetarian NON GMO sausage:

Open Original Shared Link

But have yet to locate the product!

I implore anyone (Veg'n or not) to post any gluten-free Vegetarian findings you have run across along the way! Thank You in advance.

Love & Light and health to you all,

Tee
LauraTX Rising Star

I am a big fan of soyrizo, I buy it because it is way less fatty than chorizo, and still really good in eggs.  The two brands I regularly see, I can't recall the names, but they are both gluten-free.

hipretty Apprentice

I am a big fan of soyrizo, I buy it because it is way less fatty than chorizo, and still really good in eggs.

The two brands I regularly see, I can't recall the names, but they are both gluten-free.

Hi Laura yes I love Soyrizo too. I know of two that are gluten-free Frieda's and Melissa's.

Unfortunately I have only been able to find one gluten free one (Melissa's) and that was only once when I was on vacation in Miami. I have yet to find it again gluten free. All I ever see is Yves, but there is wheat listed as an allergen. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Great thread!

I'm a gluten-free vegetarian myself. Some of the products that I like are:

Beyond Meat Chicken Free Strips

Gardein Ground "Beef" Crumbles

Butler Soy Curls

• 3 months later...
BlessedMommy Rising Star

I wanted to add Sophie's Kitchen! It's a great vegan, gluten free seafood alternative! Many of their options are soy free as well. :)

Serielda Enthusiast

Like mentioned above Sophie's products are amazing, I love their crab cakes. They are vegan and gluten-free. As for burgers I make mine with quinoa and other veggies. There is sites online that offer several twist to veggies burgers that are suitable for vegetarians /vegans that are gluten-free.

• 1 year later...
hipretty Apprentice

Hi All,

I hope you are all well! :D

I wondered why mold lady's link was broken and I googled the recipe by that name and I see the site with that Seven Day Adventist Recipe appears to be dead.

I wonder if I can repost the recipe?

I have not tried this, but look like they'd be perfect made with Gluten Free oats. There are a world of recipes out there…but when I originally posted I was specifically looking for a sausage substitute with a higher protein content that would replace other veggie analogs like Boca Burger brand or Morningstar Farm brand type products.

OK,  so here is the recipe I believe was posted:

Oatmeal-pecan burgers

(not sure what the "25’ turn 20 ‘ more"  (phase I vegan) means

but I am guessing that was supposed to be on the bottom of the recipe like so:

Oatmeal-pecan burgers 

Boil:

4 ½ c. water

1/3 c. + 1T.  tamari

2 t. onion powder

l l/2 t. garlic powder

l/2 t. celery salt

l/3c. + 1T.  nutritional yeast flakes

l/4 c. sesame seeds

--------------------then add

¾ c. ground pecans or walnuts

2 T. dried minced onions

l t. dried mined garlic

1 t. sage

4 c. whole oats

stir and cook again……….then cool

use 1/3 c. size and shape into patties

fry on a non-stick pan or spray pan with oil and

Bake @ 350 F for 25 mins turn for 20 more  

(oner similar tweaked recipes have specified 15 mins turn for 15 more)

(phase I vegan)              

Enjoy in Good Health! :P

Love & Light,

Tee                                                                                                            

Archived