This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cadbury Cream Eggs- Now With Wheat :(

SuperGina

SuperGina Newbie

:(

Cadbury cream eggs now contain wheat in the USA. My boyfriend found this out after taking a bite of one. He was so used to eating them back home (NZ) and they used to be safe in the USA as well. They are made by Hershey's here in the USA. I have already emailed them complaining-please do the same if you have the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
:(

Cadbury cream eggs now contain wheat in the USA. My boyfriend found this out after taking a bite of one. He was so used to eating them back home (NZ) and they used to be safe in the USA as well. They are made by Hershey's here in the USA. I have already emailed them complaining-please do the same if you have the time.

What were the ingredients? Other than your boyfriend getting sick from one bite, what do you base this information on?

jerseyangel Proficient

Edit

SuperGina Newbie

It now lists GLUCOSE SYRUP (WHEAT) on the back of the box in the ingredients list. We purchased them today at a Target store. So far my boyfriend has had no reaction, but he had only taken a small bite before I spotted it.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

IS wheat actually on the package...because glucose itself is safe. The website is saying they are gluten free.

SuperGina Newbie

YES wheat is actually on the package.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Odd. I ate one yesterday... and there was no wheat listed on the label. If I eat wheat, I immediately react with such itchy facial skin that I could scratch myself to bleeding. I assure ya, that didn't happen.

Hmmm. Weird.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Was it the regular flavor or the caramel ones. they also have mini creme eggs too. I usually dont eat the Creme Eggs as they are much too sweet, but I can polish off a bag of Mini Eggs all on my own. Those I know for a fact are safe/

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
Was it the regular flavor or the caramel ones. they also have mini creme eggs too. I usually dont eat the Creme Eggs as they are much too sweet, but I can polish off a bag of Mini Eggs all on my own. Those I know for a fact are safe/

The one I had was a normal "cream egg" with the oh-so-sickly-sweet "egg" center. I only have ONE a year, because it's something my grandma used to buy for me. I miss her... so I have one a year in her honor. =)

The one I had was a normal "cream egg" with the oh-so-sickly-sweet "egg" center. I only have ONE a year, because it's something my grandma used to buy for me. I miss her... so I have one a year in her honor. =)

I remember when I used to eat those as a kid and get soo sticky. And never attempt to eat one while driving either.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast
I remember when I used to eat those as a kid and get soo sticky. And never attempt to eat one while driving either.

Uh.. yea, that can never yield a good results! LOL!

I'm wondering if it was one of those "wonky" issues whereby an ingredient was changed, relabeled, but there are still some with the "old" recipe floating around. Or, maybe it was just a really weird batch where the gluten WAS present due to a manufacturer ingredient change, or something.

I'm not making ANY sense... I can't sleep, I'm leaving for Disney World in the morning, and my brain is already MUSH. LOL!!!

SuperGina Newbie

They are Regular Size Cadbury Creme Eggs made for the USA by Hersheys

See pics

http://www.daringpress.com/cce1.webp

http://www.daringpress.com/cce2.webp

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Wow. That SUCKS!!!

Uh.. yea, that can never yield a good results! LOL!

I'm wondering if it was one of those "wonky" issues whereby an ingredient was changed, relabeled, but there are still some with the "old" recipe floating around. Or, maybe it was just a really weird batch where the gluten WAS present due to a manufacturer ingredient change, or something.

I'm not making ANY sense... I can't sleep, I'm leaving for Disney World in the morning, and my brain is already MUSH. LOL!!!

Have a safe trip to Disney!!!

See pics

Wow- thanks for the pics! It makes you wonder why it would need wheat, it was obviously fine with out it all these years....Then again, I am not a big Hershey fan, but that really is not due to food issues. Anyhoo thanks for the update.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
It now lists GLUCOSE SYRUP (WHEAT) on the back of the box in the ingredients list. We purchased them today at a Target store. So far my boyfriend has had no reaction, but he had only taken a small bite before I spotted it.

I am seeing this more and more often. So many of us assume glucose syrup is safe but it is another of those items where gluten can sneak in. I am glad they are finally starting to label it on packages because few believed me when I would mention it. Wheat is a fairly common grain used for glucose, at least now by law they have to label it when it is once they use up the millions of labels printed without this info.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Thank you for informing us. I have been trying to find one in the stores, I have been craving one and I probably would not have read the ingredients, just as your guy didn't. :( I love those--well, I don't need them anyways!!!!

I am still suffering the effects of being glutened by the AZO Standard, that I was told was gluten free, I am so happy I never found a Canbury egg to add to my misery. Thanks!!!!

Deb

Lisa Mentor

See pics

Thank you for posting this information. This is another reason to always read the labels.

jerseyangel Proficient

I stand corrected--it was on the Cadbury/Schweppes website that the Creme Eggs were stated to be gluten-free. Confusing....anyway, thanks for passing along this info as it will undoubtedly help many this Easter season :)

Off to edit my last post.....

ptkds Community Regular
I stand corrected--it was on the Cadbury/Schweppes website that the Creme Eggs were stated to be gluten-free. Confusing....anyway, thanks for passing along this info as it will undoubtedly help many this Easter season :)

Off to edit my last post.....

I also went to the Cadbury site. When I got to the page with the gluten-free status, it was from the UK. So it wasn't talking about the American Eggs.

So, does anyone know about the caramel and chocolate eggs? I love those.

melrobsings Contributor

NOOOOOOOOOOOO I LOVE CREAM EGGS!!!! NOOOOOOOO I'm gunna go cry now.

I was in Wegmans today and I saw the Creme Eggs with the wheat...it made me want to scream right in the middle of the store. Darn Hersheys!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Ok shoot, I don't really like these but my daughter counts the days until they appear in the stores! Wow is she going to be upset.

Here is my question... has anyone found maybe a place in canada or something where you can order the ones without wheat. I know it would probably cost a few $$$ in shipping but once a year I would spring for it for her!

Susan

melrobsings Contributor

Pixiegirl I'm with you, I would spring for a flat load of them!!! I LOVE them!

irish daveyboy Community Regular

GLUCOSE, GLUCOSE SYRUP AND CARAMEL COLOUR

It is important for those following a gluten-free diet to incorporate the latest valid scientific information into their diets. Under current Australian food law,

glucose, glucose syrup and caramel colour are "gluten-free",

even if derived from wheat, as the wheat is so highly processed,

there is no gluten detected.

Glucose, glucose syrup, caramel and similar ingredients have no detectable gluten, even if derived from wheat.

New food labelling laws require food labels to list all ingredients derived from wheat, rye, barley and oats.

This does not mean that all ingredients derived from these sources actually contain gluten.

So, it is a legal requirement that the source be declared, but remember that ingredients derived from wheat that are gluten free are:

dextrose, glucose and caramel colour (additive 150).

Accuracy of "Gluten-Free" Labels

The legal definition of the phrase "gluten-free" varies from country to country. Current research suggests that for persons with celiac disease the maximum safe level of gluten in a finished product is probably less than 0.02% (200 parts per million) and possibly as little as 0.002% (20 parts per million).

Australian standards reserve the "gluten free" label for foods with less than 5 parts per million of gluten, as this is the smallest amount currently detectable.

As gluten-containing grains are processed,

more and more of the gluten is removed from them,

as shown in this simple processing flow:

Wheat Flour (80,000ppm) > Wheat Starch Codex (200ppm) > Dextrin > Maltodextrin > Glucose Syrup (<5ppm) > Dextrose > Caramel Color

Unfortunately, in the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not yet defined the term gluten free as it appears on food labels.

It is currently up to the manufacturers of "gluten free" food items to guarantee such a claim.

"A final rule that defines the term gluten-free and identifies the criteria that would enable the food industry to use that term" is scheduled to be released by the FDA on August 2nd, 2008.

Many so-called gluten free products have been found to have been contaminated with gluten (such as Pamela's cookies, etc.).

Open Original Shared Link

United States

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is proposing to,

I actually saw the package for myself yesterday and it does say the glucose syrup was derived from wheat...darn Hershey's as if they didnt cause enough trouble for themselves in the past 6 months they do this...

Archived