This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

E Mail From Bayer Reguarding Aleve

newgirl88

newgirl88 Apprentice

Dear Consumer:

Thank you for contacting Bayer HealthCare regarding Aleve Liquid Gels. We appreciate your interest in our product.

We do not add any gluten to our products. However, we cannot guarantee that our products are 100% gluten-free as this product is produced in a facility that manufactures and/or packages other items which may contain gluten.

Comments such as your own help us meet the growing needs of our consumers. I certainly will share them with our Regulatory, Medical and Marketing departments for consideration.

Sincerely,

Frank Belinc

Consumer Advisor

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I do not believe I have ever used the gel caps, but I use the caplets all the time and I know for a fact, they are gluten free. Aleve is wonderful, I do only use it for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, 2 times a day, then I take a break from it. I also use Advil, Tylenol, Excedrin Migraine, Excedrin Tension (I just found I can't use this anymore because I break out from the red dye, but it is gluten free), and I have Equate Ibuprofen. Yes, I have many, I suffer major headaches, along with neuropathy. I do not take as much painkillers anymore now that I am taking Topamax, but I do still have them on hand.

newgirl88 Apprentice

I called Tylenol and they sent me a list of products with gluten-free ingredients, but they wouldn't guarantee anything either.

psawyer Proficient

In practical terms, it seems that nobody will guarantee gluten-free for anything anymore. There have been too many lawsuits, so prudent legal advice is to say things like "we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur. Most manufacturers obtain at least some ingredients from third parties, and they don't want to assume responsibility for an error made by their supplier.

So, get used to hearing "we don't guarantee" anything.

My wife eats a few gluten-containing products, and stores them in the kitchen. We take precautions, but our kitchen is a "shared facility" and our utensils are "shared equipment." This is also true of just about every restaurant, no matter how celiac-aware they are. They have one kitchen, and one pool of utensils. They wash them, but it is a shared facility with shared equipment.

tarnalberry Community Regular

yep, standard CYA statement. one that I will not let stop me from using aleve. as always, we have to make our own decisions, of course.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Me too. As I stated above, I use Aleve. I have been taking it for the last week with no ill side effects, although, I have never taken the gel cap. I have neuropathy and sometimes need to take something for pain, I can't be afraid to take something for relief. I have always used Tylenol too. I have Tylenol for Arthritis in my cabinet now and use it often. As has been stated, many of these companies used to state they were gluten free, but now are saying

"we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur.
just as a CYA statement. For us, it's a judgment call. I used the product before and was fine, so I continue to use it and keep my fingers crossed.
darlindeb25 Collaborator

Me too. As I stated above, I use Aleve. I have been taking it for the last week with no ill side effects, although, I have never taken the gel cap. I have neuropathy and sometimes need to take something for pain, I can't be afraid to take something for relief. I have always used Tylenol too. I have Tylenol for Arthritis in my cabinet now and use it often. As has been stated, many of these companies used to state they were gluten free, but now are saying

"we don't add any gluten [on purpose]" while denying any responsibility for any inadvertent contamination which may occur.
just as a CYA statement. For us, it's a judgment call. I used the product before and was fine, so I continue to use it and keep my fingers crossed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loco-ladi Contributor

Thats almost word for word what I got when I called aleve to ask them before purchasing it on the advice of my doctor for another issue....

My guess is they have a book and tab thru it looking for the word "gluten" then read it off the paper, its also what they send out in the emails, lol

Gotta love lawyers :angry:

Archived