This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sinking Bread, Any Ideas To Help It?

Ivanna44

Ivanna44 Apprentice

Hi All,

I made my 3rd loaf of gluten-free bread today, with a different premix brand. Taste wise and looks wise, it reminds me a lot of reg. wheat bread. I am definately happy with trying out this other company's gluten-free bread mix. I even burnt out my hand mixer, as the dough for this other company's bread mix, was more like reg. bread dough. I now need a new hand mixer with dough hooks :) ... I can definately see making this bread dough into cinnamon buns and that, it would hold its shape while moulding into shape prior to baking.

My problem is, and I've had this with all bread mixes too, gluten-free ones I mean. :)

About 10 mins after I take it out of the oven, it sinks in the middle, I don't remove it from the pan till about 20 mins later (wait for it to cool first) . Any ideas on how to prevent the "sinking ship" so to speak :D :D

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ridgewalker Contributor

I find that if I take my bread out of the oven too soon, it caves in on the sides... could this be the problem?

I haven't had the top-sinking problem with a whole loaf before, but I have had that happen with hamburger buns. Through much trial and error, I've discovered that this happens to me for two reasons--

1) I didn't let them rise long enough before putting them in the oven. (They rise plenty while in the oven, but then sink when I take them out.) Or-

2) I took them out too soon.

Hope this helps, I bet others will chime in with their experiences too.

Ivanna44 Apprentice
I find that if I take my bread out of the oven too soon, it caves in on the sides... could this be the problem?

I haven't had the top-sinking problem with a whole loaf before, but I have had that happen with hamburger buns. Through much trial and error, I've discovered that this happens to me for two reasons--

1) I didn't let them rise long enough before putting them in the oven. (They rise plenty while in the oven, but then sink when I take them out.) Or-

2) I took them out too soon.

Hope this helps, I bet others will chime in with their experiences too.

Hi Ridgewalker,

To help clarify. It sinks in the middle. Think of a cake that has "dropped" in the middle. I take the bread out, and it makes the hollow sound, to indicate its done. I do let them rise to nearly 3 x's the orginal size. Near one hour of rising, and I use an "mock" proofing oven method. Where you turn the oven on to 150F for 10 mins, prior to making the bread, and you add in a pan of warm water, that is placed on a rack below the rising bread dough. This mock proofing oven helps create the right environment for bread, warm and moist environment. As a footnote, you do turn the oven off, prior to putting in the bread to raise.

Being a part time baker at one my first jobs in my 20's. I know proofing ovens really help.

Hope that clarifies what is happening in terms of the "drop" :rolleyes:

mftnchn Explorer

I have found that I can't over-rise the bread. Like when I make Lorka's flax bread recipe (wonderful by the way), the dough fills my pan over 3/4 of the way, and I just raise it to the top of the pan and then bake. When I let it rise longer in hopes for taller bread, it fell.

You can also try slightly cutting back the liquid to see if it helps.

Also, you aren't trying to double rise are you? gluten-free bread only needs one rise....

It is discouraging at first, I had a number of failures before finally getting some successes. The dough just handles and acts differently and we have to adjust to it. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Wonka Apprentice
I have found that I can't over-rise the bread. Like when I make Lorka's flax bread recipe (wonderful by the way), the dough fills my pan over 3/4 of the way, and I just raise it to the top of the pan and then bake. When I let it rise longer in hopes for taller bread, it fell.

You can also try slightly cutting back the liquid to see if it helps.

Also, you aren't trying to double rise are you? gluten-free bread only needs one rise....

It is discouraging at first, I had a number of failures before finally getting some successes. The dough just handles and acts differently and we have to adjust to it. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Why do you think it falls if you rise it too much? I've, obviously lol, been having the same problem. I love the flax bread but it has been falling and yes I have been letting it rise above the pan. I'll try it less risen next time to see how it fares (it is definitely cooked thoroughly).

Like Ivanna, I have pretty extensive bread baking skills but this gluten-free bread is a whole new species.

dbmamaz Explorer
, obviously lol, been having the same problem. . ..Like Ivanna, I have pretty extensive bread baking skills but this gluten-free bread is a whole new species.

Me too! I havent made bread in a while since i tested reactive to rice and yeast, but every bread I made fell. I do believe I'd let them rise too long before baking, but havent had a chance to test that out yet. Its so frustrating because I baked so much before!

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Me too! I havent made bread in a while since i tested reactive to rice and yeast, but every bread I made fell. I do believe I'd let them rise too long before baking, but havent had a chance to test that out yet. Its so frustrating because I baked so much before!

Thank you all,

For the replies on the "sinking ships" bread :D

Good to know I'm not alone that way. I do not let the bread rise above the top of the pan. I did that the very first time, and it started to break up and fall to the bottom of oven when cooking.

So I learned early not to let it rise (high like reg bread >wheat kind)

I kinda wonder if dropping the temp by 25F and giving it an extra 5 or so minutes would help. Or turning the oven off, 5 minutes before it's done, and let it have a slower cool down would help ... who knows :D

I'll experiment next time I make it. I just went to the store and bought 2 premade frozen loaves. So I'm good for 2-3 weeks now. I generally only eat about 2 pieces each day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MNBeth Explorer

I experimented with lower oven temps and it was disastrous. The bread rose absolutely crazily in the oven and collapsed into bizarre squashed shapes after it came out. I think you need the high temps to arrest the yeast growth earlier in the bake time.

A longer bake may help - that's one thing I'm working on.

...I kinda wonder if dropping the temp by 25F and giving it an extra 5 or so minutes would help. Or turning the oven off, 5 minutes before it's done, and let it have a slower cool down would help ... who knows :D
cruelshoes Enthusiast

Sinking bread generally has one or more of these 3 causes: Too much water, not done in the middle or letting it rise too long before baking.

The best thing I have ever done to increase my successes with gluten-free bread baking is to get an instant-read digital thermometer. Many times I would bake gluten-free bread for the amount of time that was specified in the recipe and when I would take it out of the oven it would deflate. It looked done, but it wasn't cooked all the way.

Here is some advice that may help you. Get yourself an instant read digital thermometer. You can get them anywhere - Wal mart, Target, wherever. It will run you about 10 bucks. When your bread says it's supposed to be done, stab it with the thermometer without taking it out of the oven. If the temperature is not above 209 degrees (ideally 209 - 212), it isn't done all the way. Add a few more minutes and then test it again. You can tent the top with foil if it's starting to get too brown.

I bake bread twice a week, and have only had a few failures in the last 2.5 years by using this method. If it doesn't help, I would try reducing the water in the recipe by 1/4 cup. If that doesn't help, try reducing your rise time by 10 minutes or so.

I hope this helps.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I agree with lowering the amount of water and/or less rise-time. Thus far, I find my breads can fall slightly if they rise more than around twice the original height, maybe a bit more. It does depend on the recipe though, so keep in mind that my breads are more hearty, thus not high in starchy flours. I presume a more starchy dough would be able to rise more.

Since the air bubbles will expand when heated, and contract when cooled, take that into account. So it seems to me that the bread's finished structure needs to be firm enough to stay up as the bubbles cool.

I've also found that too little gum causes "fissures" in the bread, which of course allows the bubbles to deflate. However, this usually makes the bread sink before it's done.

Wonka Apprentice

Good information. Thanks. I always used an instant read thermometer for my gluten bread but didn't know if the temp for gluten-free bread was the same (it's similar to some breads but higher than others so thanks for supplying the answer).

nikken007 Rookie
I've also found that too little gum causes "fissures" in the bread, which of course allows the bubbles to deflate. However, this usually makes the bread sink before it's done.

By "fissures", do you mean tears? Mine tears as it rises. Perhaps I am not adding enough xanthan gum. 3 tsp. for a 9 by 5 pan. Does that seem enough?

nikken007 Rookie

By "fissures", do you mean tears? Mine tears as it rises. Perhaps I am not adding enough xanthan gum. 3 tsp. for a 9 by 5 pan. Does that seem enough?

Archived