This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback Steakhouse

2new2celiacs

2new2celiacs Newbie

My Diatician told me that she had contacted some local food chains in our area to see where I may possibly venture to and eat safely, this is what she found...

Outback Steakhouse- The wife of the creator of this famous chain has Celiacs, therefore, all chains offer a gluten-free menu.

Chicago Pizza- (check with your local chain) Told her that If I bring in my own pizza crust, they will make my pizza for me. (of course in a washed and safe prep area.)

McDonalds- Apparently their french fries are safe for us, they say they use a seperate fryer for their breaded foods, however, I am just not willing to chance it. Has anyone else tried them yet?

I have eaten at local places that offer a few gluten-free dishes, I ordered a salad with a vinegar dressing and brought my own crutons (ordered online at the glutenfree pantry) and did not feel quite right, so I am assuming it may have been contaminated.

So far they were the only ones available for me, how about the rest of you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

catfish Apprentice

I'm lucky to live 5 minutes from an Outback Steakhouse. I've never had a problem there. I am also lucky in that my favorite restaurant ever, Carrabba's Italian Grill, now has a gluten-free menu as well. They are owned by the same company as Outback. Since they aren't exactly "cheap family dining", we now we eat out less often than before my diagnosis, but we have great food when we do! ;)

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Outback has some yummie things! I do McDonalds fries and my family eats their other options. P.F. Changs is alos a good place with a glutenfree menu!

jmengert Enthusiast

Bonefish Grill, which is also owned by Outback and Carraba's, also offers a gluten-free menu. If you like seafood, they're terrific! I've also never had a problem at McDonald's (they have a gluten-free menu on their website). Chick-fil-A also has a gluten-free menu.

Boojca Apprentice

McDonald's is wonderful. I have never, ever even gotten so much as a strange look when ordering a Hamburger Happy Meal without a bun. My son thinks he's in heaven, and I feel so safe. It's the only restaurant we've ventured to yet, and I have 7 months of this under my belt!

Bridget

• 1 month later...
tdrew Rookie

We went to the local (kinda local - 70 miles away) Outback Steakhouse yesterday. I'm recently diagnosed and we haven't been going out much, so I was excited to hear that they have a gluten-free menu. Boy, was I disappointed! We were told they had NO such thing, and then the waitress went on her way without even asking if there was anything else she could do to help.

Read the regular menu carefully an ordered grilled Mahi-Mahi and steamed veggies. Food was good, but like I said - really disappointing!

Tom in Klamath Falls, OR

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

Years ago I used to work for a McDonald's. and YES they do fry their fries in a separate fryer. I used to be the "fry girl". And they still do ... to this day. I remember they used to use peanut oil to fry the fries. But because of those with peanut allergies...they switched oils. I remember they even replaced the fryer.\

Just wanted to add this tidbit.

mrsfish

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

That is so strange that they had never heard of it. Did you complainto the manager? I would contact someone because it a chain wide policy of gluten-free menus. Sometimes I find waiters who are clueless but usually the manager is on top of it.

Outback isn't the cheapest palce and they should be on top of things. How very unacceptable.

On another note, I went to PF canhs with my Mother last week. I love how they have veggie items marked as wells as gluten-free ones. We had a great time and ordered gluten-free take home for my brother. Yay!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

@ Tom: Normally it's not like that at the Outback's. I visited about 4 different ones now, even in different states, and all of them had this menu. But once (I think it was Washington D.C.) I also had a waitress, who was completely clueless. But I was stuborn and said, that I'm sure that they have this. And than she called another waitress who knew what I was talking about. And she educated the "new" waitress. So I guess, it can happen, if people are new. And they probably don't tell everybody everything, when they employ them. Kind of learning along the way, uh? But what you also can do is printing the gluten-free menu out from their homepage at Open Original Shared Link

Try it again and give it another chance. Then try the "chocolate thunder from downunder". It's so yummy :lol: .

Hugs, Stef

tdrew Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. I have printed the menu off their website and will take it with me next time.

I think I'll also call the manager tomorrow if I get time. Could be that I just got a new (or maybe clueless) server.

Take care!

Tom

cdford Contributor

There are several things at McD's that we can safely have if you have no other allergies. When in doubt and especially late at night, ask to be sure they are using a separate fryer. It is corporate policy as I understand it, but some places will fudge when it gets late and they want to start cleaning. If my system is a little out of whack or we are just plain broke and have a long drive to/from a doctor, we will stop and get a chocolate sundae and some fries.

While Ryan's has several items listed in the most current commercial guide, I have found them to be hit or miss. If the manager is good, you get a great set of options and a good meal. Don't try the one in Hiram, Georgia however. The management will not do anything to either cooperate or give any information so that you can make a good decision on your own.

Longhorn's has apparently decided to look into it because their management at the one I ate at recently even recognized the card. I have been to a couple of different ones and have had a safe meal each time.

If you are a Golden Corral fan, the one near us was very helpful. The manager walked me around the line sharing information about each dish. If in doubt, he went and checked the packaging in back to be certain. I always know that I can at least get some mashed potatoes (they will even fix them fresh if the ones on the line have been cross contaminated with gravy) and some killer sauteed green beans. They have lots of fresh fruits as well.

Don't even try Olive Garden. While their employees tried hard, I was sick for months after that one. It is just not worth the risk. And I used to love it so.

Since we only get to eat out if my parents are in town or we have to drive long distances to the doctor, these are the only ones I am really familiar with. It is good to get info from some others out there as well.

Guest Leidenschaft

Hi, I tried to go to the Outback.com site and couldn't move off the front page... everytime I went to the menu bar I got Script Errors!! Anyone else having troubles?? Maybe somebody could email me their location page? I would like to see how far I am from one!! :D Do they have them in the New England states?? I'm only 4 hours from Bangor, Maine! :lol:

lovegrov Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

South Portland is the only Maine location, but there are others in the Northeast.

richard

Guest Leidenschaft

Thank you Richard! That's awesome, I know we'll be in Mass. this fall for a dog trial. Will have to work dinner into the trip somehow! :D

I'll let my mom know as well since they travel into Washington and Idaho on occasion! I was also able to view the rest of the website from the link below.. not sure what was up with the initial listing??

Donna F Enthusiast

Tammy, I know of two Outbacks in Mass. There is one in Seekonk (southeast) and one in Bellingham (closer to boston). Dog trials? You wouldn't be going to the Cape in September are you? I live about 30 miles north or the cape and my parents live there, and eating gluten-free isn't too hard since you can always have steamed shellfish or boiled lobster (yum) and a baked potato just about anywhere. I can find out if there is an Outback too.

-donna

Guest Leidenschaft

Nope, not the Cape... :lol: we're headed to the happening community (don't blink!) of North Brookfield for a Schutzhund trial!

I think the closest one would be Springfield!

One of our club members lives in Seekonk, as do two of my "grandbabies"! ;) The Giant Schnauzer variety! Next time I visit we will definitely be giving it a try!

Seems all of the reasons I go to the US are for the dogs... 'bout time it was for some dining! :lol:

Thanks for the info, I never know where I'll be next! :D

adagio47 Newbie

Hey everyone - I work at Outback Steakhouse, so please keep the following things in mind when you go:

• the steamed veggies and steamed broccoli have gluten in the seasoning. You must request that they put no seasoning and no butter on any vegetables

• the grilled veggies that come with the Grillers, on the other hand, are gluten-free

• Many gluten-free menus at individual outbacks have not changed this but MUSTARD VINIAGRETTE is NOT gluten-free (it used to be). You can have any other salad dressing, but recently the MV one was forbidden and not all outbacks have changed this information (The manager may not even know)

• also, normally gluten-free people consider eating mushrooms, fries, onions, and rice. All these are offered as sides at Outback but NONE of them are gluten-free - stick to the baked, sweet, or mashed potato. (The Alice Springs Chicken and Royal Port Fresh Catch have mushrooms, but these are gluten-free)

Good luck and enjoy- it's very very good food worry-free, and I have it all the time. Just remember most of the waiters or waitresses won't know what gluten is at all, so have patience when explaining it to them! Oh - and don't bother looking through appetizers. Just know ahead of time that the only one we can eat is the Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie, which you must ask to be served without the garlic bread it usually comes on.

Also request salads to be done in a new clean bowl.

• 2 weeks later...
esanena Newbie
Outback Steakhouse- The wife of the creator of this famous chain has Celiacs, therefore, all chains offer a gluten-free menu.

actually it is chris sullivan's daughter ;D

i worked at the research & development kitchens at the main headquarters in tampa. infact, my mom caterered chris' wedding and his daughter was only able to have fresh fruit and stuff because she didn't know how to explain to the servers her problem. once chris found out how prevalent it was, the gluten-free menus exploded! the seasoning mix used to not be gluten-free and that was on almost everything so they changed it.

i guess since he has an outback in his backyard (literally, it's a private one) he would have to have *something* for his daughter to eat!!!

cdford Contributor

Why no butter unless you have a problem with dairy? At least Outback uses real butter. I get so frustrated with those places that throw the term butter around and don't even have any available on the premises.

Guest DaiseeLove
Outback has some yummie things! I do McDonalds fries and my family eats their other options. P.F. Changs is alos a good place with a glutenfree menu!

Oh my goodness I LOOOVE Outback!

When my husband and I were honeymooning we were worried we wouldn't be able to find a lot for me to eat...but sure enough, downtown Nassau in the Bahamas: an Outback!! :-)

Archived