This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Edit Gone?

MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Am I missing something? I can't find the edit button. . .I need to fix my typos.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Well, that post has it but none of my other ones do, sigh!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have had this problem recently too. Its kind of random....sometimes I'm able to edit my posts and other times the "edit" option is completely gone. :huh:

I did check to make sure that I'm logged on when this is happening and thats not the problem......the edit button just disappears!

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I have had this problem recently too. Its kind of random....sometimes I'm able to edit my posts and other times the "edit" option is completely gone. :huh:

I did check to make sure that I'm logged on when this is happening and thats not the problem......the edit button just disappears!

I noticed this too :unsure:

Ursa Major Collaborator

Scott did say that he updated the forum software just recently, and wanted us to let him know if we experienced problems.

The other day my edit buttons were gone, too.

So, I guess I better let him know that it is still ongoing.

Lisa Mentor

I noticed that also. I tried to go back and correct some spelling errors from my posts and could not find the edit box. A speller of my caliber really depends on edit and spell check. :blink:

psawyer Proficient

It used to be that you could edit any post (of your own) at any time. It now seems that there is a window during which recent posts can be edited, and once this window expires no more edits are allowed. I don't know the exact limit, but it seems to be somewhere between one and two hours.

I don't know if this is Scott's intent or an accident. I have seen examples, including one on this board, of a disgruntled user maliciously editing posts long after they were made, replacing the original post completely with gibberish.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
It used to be that you could edit any post (of your own) at any time. It now seems that there is a window during which recent posts can be edited, and once this window expires no more edits are allowed. I don't know the exact limit, but it seems to be somewhere between one and two hours.

I don't know if this is Scott's intent or an accident. I have seen examples, including one on this board, of a disgruntled user maliciously editing posts long after they were made, replacing the original post completely with gibberish.

Well, if that is the case, it may in principle not be a bad idea. I just feel that if I find a spelling mistake when reading one of my older posts and can't fix it, it makes me feel anxious and inadequate (I am a perfectionist). Good thing I usually don't go back and read old posts! :wacko:

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hi Everyone,

I can't reproduce the missing Edit button issue, so I'm not sure if it is a bug or something else. It is possible that when this happens you have somehow gotten logged out, perhaps because of a security setting in your fire wall or browser that is blocking our site's cookies. If our site cannot communicate with your computer's cookies it could cause you to have the Guest view, rather than the Member view.

You can now only edit your posts within 36 hours after you submit them. After that time it really doesn't make much sense because few people will see any changes you make. The reason for this new setting is because there have been people who have left the board permanently and deleted all their posts. In one case a person deleted over a thousand posts that spanned over years--many of which would have been very helpful to future visitors. I have no idea why anyone would do this, but it has happened, and in my opinion this isn't a reasonable option--deleting bits and pieces of threads and discussions will only serve to confuse future visitors who find incomplete threads or topics via the search feature.

PS - The edit button will vanish when the post is older than the allowed edit time.

Take care,

Scott

RiceGuy Collaborator

This issue just happened to me today for the first time. I replied in a thread, and upon the new post being displayed, I saw a typo, but no edit button. There didn't appear to be any login issues of any kind. Refreshing the page had no effect.

psawyer Proficient

This post above is less than three hours old, but it does not have an edit button. I am consistently seeing this in posts over two hours old--it is nowhere near the 36 hours Scott mentioned. I am logged in, and this site has full cookie privileges. Im using Firefox 2.0.0.14, but I tried IE just now, and it was the same: no edit button for my 1:05 post.

<< This is an edit done less than a minute after posting >>

<< Still able to edit at 4:58 >>

Ursa Major Collaborator

Scott, thanks for checking in and explaining why old posts can't be edited any more. I am glad you set it this way, because it is a major pain when people are so inconsiderate to delete all their posts when they leave.

But as with others here, I've had the same problem with not being able to edit a post immediately after posting. And no, I NEVER log out. Mind you, sometimes the system logs me out for whatever reason.

But the couple of times I couldn't edit my post I was definitely NOT logged out, as I was also able to do more posting, and the edit button worked on those posts.

There is obviously a bug somewhere in the software that causes this to happen intermittently and unpredictably.

debmidge Rising Star

Oh Dear! I was relying on Edit to correct something ......anyway that the edit

button can be reinstated for situations like this? It has been less than 12 hours

since I posted it.

Archived