This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's French Fries

WendyG

WendyG Explorer

French Fries

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*), citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

I just wanted to post this for all of us who had read on the forum that McDonald's French Fries are safe. I was getting gluten somewhere and so I have been going over everything I have eaten....I had read that these were safe on the forum but there was some conflicting reports. So I went to the web site and copied this right off the ingredients list.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, to be sure I am okay here in Canada I checked out the ingredients for the French fries here, and they are gluten-free.

Here are the ingredients for Canadian McDonalds fries:

French Fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and dimethypolysiloxane).

That's too bad that in the U.S. they actually have wheat! Beats me why they want your fries to taste like beef instead of just tasting like potatoes.

home-based-mom Contributor
Well, to be sure I am okay here in Canada I checked out the ingredients for the French fries here, and they are gluten-free.

Here are the ingredients for Canadian McDonalds fries:

French Fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and dimethypolysiloxane).

That's too bad that in the U.S. they actually have wheat! Beats me why they want your fries to taste like beef instead of just tasting like potatoes.

I would be careful here. This rules out milk but does *not* rule out wheat! :unsure:

gfp Enthusiast

My understanding is they use the same recipe worldwide.

The test results they published categorically say the fries contain gluten.

There is obviously fact and wishful thinking, aided by McDonalds writing the report to seem like it was negative unless you read it all.

I think I read that somewhere. The goal is a person can get one of their core products (the ones they always have such as hamburgers and fries, rather than the fad items like Teriyaki or Chipotle that come and go) anywhere in the world and it will be the same. Burger and fries in Ho Chi Min City is the same as burger and fries in Mexico City is the same as burger and fries in Kansas City. That may or may not be quite how it really is, but if they say on their website (available to read from anywhere) that the fries contain gluten, they probably contain gluten everywhere.

That's really too bad because I'm sure they *lose* far more customers by adding 2 major allergens to a product than they could possibly *gain* by adding them. :blink:

Lisa Mentor

There has been VERY EXTENSIVE discussions regarding McD's Fries. Please do a search here for additional information.

The CDF, GIG and CSA have issued statements that have declared the amount of detectable gluten in McD's fries to be rendered safe for Celiacs.

The arguments can continue into eternity, but the bottom line is that it's a personal choice. I choose McD's fries.

WendyG Explorer
There has been VERY EXTENSIVE discussions regarding McD's Fries. Please do a search here for additional information.

The CDF, GIG and CSA have issued statements that have declared the amount of detectable gluten in McD's fries to be rendered safe for Celiacs.

The arguments can continue into eternity, but the bottom line is that it's a personal choice. I choose McD's fries.

So some trace wheat is ok for Celiac's. I was not aware of this. I thought any wheat was bad no matter the amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
So some trace wheat is ok for Celiac's. I was not aware of this. I thought any wheat was bad no matter the amount.

Unfortunately, I have a meeting and do not have the time to post support information for my statements. The government has to have a measurment for products claims to be considered gluten free or not. I believe it's 20ppm. (parts per million)

With that said, anything less than that amount may claim to be gluten free by US labeling law.. That does not mean that those who are super sensitive would not react to that amount of gluten. There is no guarantee that any product can claim to be 100% gluten free unless you butcher your own meat, fish and grown your own crops.

I am sure others will post. Sorry for the rushed answer.

WendyG Explorer
Unfortunately, I have a meeting and do not have the time to post support information for my statements. The government has to have a measurment for products claims to be considered gluten free or not. I believe it's 20ppm. (parts per million)

With that said, anything less than that amount may claim to be gluten free by US labeling law.. That does not mean that those who are super sensitive would not react to that amount of gluten. There is no guarantee that any product can claim to be 100% gluten free unless you butcher your own meat, fish and grown your own crops.

I am sure others will post. Sorry for the rushed answer.

My intent here is not to cause a debate. I only wanted to post the information because I did read a lot of the past discussion without actually going to the website for myself. I thought they were safe. Now that my 8 year old daughter is positive I will not be putting anything into her body that has the words ALLERGENS contains WHEAT. It is a personal choice, but information is information.

Lisa Mentor

No debate here! ;):D

Ursa Major Collaborator

The Canadian site says the natural flavour comes from a vegetable source. Since wheat is a grain, not a vegetable, I believe I can safely rule out gluten.

Also, they use CANADIAN ingredients here. This is what they say about the potatoes for the French fries:

We select potatoes grown in a variety of geographic areas across Canada from PEI to Alberta. Each farm is selected based on their exceptional soil and growing conditions. We choose only Russet Burbank, Shepody and a few other Russet strain potatoes for their superior qualities.

I doubt they use the same ones in the U.S.

I have eaten the fries here, and my granddaughter (who is very sensitive and gets a stomach ache and D from gluten right away) eats them and is fine.

But it is good to know that when I visit the U.S. I can't eat their fries.

psawyer Proficient

Your understanding is wrong. There are slight variances from country to country. Only in the US do they have the questionable ingredients in the flavor added to the oil in which the fries are parboiled before freezing and shipping.

rubylou Newbie

Wow...y'all are so brave. I wouldn't eat a miccy d french frie if you paid me a hundred bucks. I'm to scared....I don't trust anyone as far as my food goes. It takes me too long to get better, so I just avoid. But for real.....why would someone ruin a perfectly good potato by adding wheat? I thought french fries were just sliced up potatoes. They just haul off and ruin perfectly good food.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link.

It's a matter of personal choice whether or not you want to eat them, but using the most sensitive commercial test, there is no detectable gluten in McDonald's french fries.

Lisa Mentor
Open Original Shared Link.

It's a matter of personal choice whether or not you want to eat them, but using the most sensitive commercial test, there is no detectable gluten in McDonald's french fries.

Thanks for posting this link Colleen. ;)

trhutton Newbie

Don't they cook the fries in the same oil as the chicken nuggets and hash browns?

Lisa Mentor
Don't they cook the fries in the same oil as the chicken nuggets and hash browns?

They do not use the same oil for the McNuggets. McD's has dedicated friers for the french fries.

Ursa Major Collaborator

No, they don't. They have dedicated fryers for just the fries.

psawyer Proficient

No and Yes. The fryers at the front of the store are used only for French fries and hash browns. The nuggets are fried in another fryer in the back of the store by a different crew.

The fries and hash browns are either both gluten-free, or are both "tainted" by wheat and dairy, depending on your country of residence and interpretation of the test results.

But to me, the whole debate about the flavor in the oil used for parboiling by one supplier in the US is a bit puzzling. The amount of cross-contamination you risk by just touching anything in that (or any) fast food environment is a much greater concern to me. To accept that risk, and then worry about undetectable levels in the product after several dilutions of what was already a trace amount does not seem rational.

Lizz7711 Apprentice

Didn't anyone see "Super Size Me"??? They let those McD's fries sit out on a counter for MONTHS, and they did not rot. They did not mold up , NOTHING. Those things are not food, whatever ingredients they have in them, so I wouldn't eat them even if they were 100% gluten/dairy free. They are still poison to this body and if they can't degrade after months of sitting out, what makes you think your damaged intestines are going to have a fun time? LOL. :huh:

Juliebove Rising Star
Didn't anyone see "Super Size Me"??? They let those McD's fries sit out on a counter for MONTHS, and they did not rot. They did not mold up , NOTHING. Those things are not food, whatever ingredients they have in them, so I wouldn't eat them even if they were 100% gluten/dairy free. They are still poison to this body and if they can't degrade after months of sitting out, what makes you think your damaged intestines are going to have a fun time? LOL. :huh:

I wouldn't watch that movie if you paid me. McDonalds has lied too many times about what is in their food. First it was saying that the fries were vegetarian and not disclosing the beef. Then to saying the fries were gluten-free and now this. I won't eat there. But then... We have not only a wheat and gluten allergy, but dairy too. Just not worth the risk.

You can't grow old if you're pumped full of preservatives, right? Bring on those fries! :P

I did not see the movie, but the info about the fries kind of goes along with finding old fries under car seats, etc. I don't remember any of them ever looking rotten! :blink:

Aleshia Contributor
The Canadian site says the natural flavour comes from a vegetable source. Since wheat is a grain, not a vegetable, I believe I can safely rule out gluten.

Also, they use CANADIAN ingredients here. This is what they say about the potatoes for the French fries:

I doubt they use the same ones in the U.S.

I have eaten the fries here, and my granddaughter (who is very sensitive and gets a stomach ache and D from gluten right away) eats them and is fine.

But it is good to know that when I visit the U.S. I can't eat their fries.

vegetable source as in plant not animal... I have never seen anything labeled "natural flavors, grain source"

Bluevalentine Newbie

I haven't been able to eat them without feeling sick whether it's from wheat or the fact that they're fried (I don't know). just know I get bloated and feel yucky so I don't eat them anymore. I don't feel sick though when I fry gluten free fries at my house. :)

Lisa Mentor

Yes, this reminds me.....TEN years after my daughter graduated from High School, I tackled her storage closet in her room. Yup, there in her book sack were about a dozen french fries in perfect form, just as if they were ordered that day. Bet they would have tasted as fresh.....(oooh, shivers). :blink:

Archived