This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Looking For A Support Group In Phila. Pa

ssight1

ssight1 Newbie

I am looking for a support group in Philadelphia, PA. I have recently found several wonderful places to shop for foods and would like to share and talk to other people with celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaimek Enthusiast

There is a local support group that meets in Abington, PA a couple times a year. I joined but I do not remember the name of it. I will look into it tonight (if i remember) and get back to you. I went to one meeting when i was first diagnosed and it was very helpful.

• 1 year later...
rutland Enthusiast

I live in Philly too and Im looking into support groups. There is one in Abington and Langhorne. I live in NE philly in the mayfair section. I found out about support groups by Googling "celiac support groups in Philadelphia" I found some listings. Ill have to look at where I left the contact numbers and get back to you.

Lauren M Explorer

Oooh oooh, what are the places you found to shop?? Do share!

I've always wanted to go to one of the Philly support meetings, but they always conflict with my schedule. Maybe one day!

- Lauren

rutland Enthusiast
Oooh oooh, what are the places you found to shop?? Do share!

I've always wanted to go to one of the Philly support meetings, but they always conflict with my schedule. Maybe one day!

- Lauren

There are so many places. Most are health food stores. But you can find lots at Wholefoods market in Jenkintown, theres harrys natural food store on Cottman Ave., Trader Joes in Jenkintown. Bunns health foods in Southhamton on Street Road, and theres a good health food store in Willowgrove on Moreland and 611 but I forget the name.

I havent been to a meeting yet. Im sure it will be helpful, I just dont know what to expect.

Lauren M Explorer
There are so many places. Most are health food stores. But you can find lots at Wholefoods market in Jenkintown, theres harrys natural food store on Cottman Ave., Trader Joes in Jenkintown. Bunns health foods in Southhamton on Street Road, and theres a good health food store in Willowgrove on Moreland and 611 but I forget the name.

I havent been to a meeting yet. Im sure it will be helpful, I just dont know what to expect.

I go to the TJs on 23rd and Market and the Whole Foods on 21st and Callowhill. Sometimes I'll trek down to the Dietary Shoppe on Ridge Ave, because they have Don Pancho wraps and Gillians rolls. Oh, and of course there is Mr. Ritts at 7th (I think?) and Passyunk. I've gotten my birthday cake from them for the past 2 years.

I guess that is a good selection to choose from, but I'm always looking for new places, and especially some better prices! I'm a poor grad student! As far as restaurants, I find the Philly area very disappointing.

- Lauren

rutland Enthusiast

Lauren,

I know what you mean about how pricey this stuff can be. I heard that the reading terminal has gluten free baked goods. Not sure about their prices though. Im trying to just eat fresh fruits and vegtables but I do love baked goods. I sometimes wonder how good they really are for you, I just get such cravings. Its comfort food I guess.

Steph

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Queen Serenity Newbie

Hi!

Maybe we should form our own support group! I'm from South Philly, and maybe we can meet in Center City somewhere. I can't get to Abington, I don't drive. I'm sure there are more of us in this area. I have been in this boat for 11 years. Maybe it's time to start something new. Whole Foods is defiantely one of the best places to shop! I go to the one at 10th and South. But, there is one awesome place I go in Springfield PA. It's called Martindale's. They have foods in their freezer that is to die for! :) It is baked cakes, cookies, pies, cinnamon buns, etc. Anyway, we should consider starting something. Even if we have our own chat room. Think about it. Let me know if it's a good idea.

Vicki

11 years and counting

mamaw Community Regular

Hi All

I was in Philly (center city) in July for two weeks on business and I visited the reading treminal just about every other day for a walk. I did not fiind anything that was gluten-free.I asked at the bakeries and none claimed to have anything. I hope if you go you have better luck than I did.

If you check out Everybvody Eats they have alot of stores carrying their items. I already posted somewhere that Epicure in Spring Lake Heights , NJ carries alot of good gluten-free things. The owner Chris might deliver to Philly if you all could come up with a couple hundred dollars in sales for him... It's about an hour plus for him to get to Philly.I have no vested interest in any of this but I met Chris (nice guy) trying real hard to support a family with his business. He has many other good items and bakers doing gluten-free stuff.

I only ask that if you call him tell him Sande from Pa told you about him. I told him I would try to spread the news about his shoppe.........If any other ???? please pm me as I don't alway get back to the original post.

blessings

mamaw

rutland Enthusiast

Thats a good idea Vikki. I would be interested in starting our own support group. I do love center city, I always like to get out in the city when I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest laydirain

you guys can count me in too for a support group. Im new to the forum & to the disease. I have been spending so much money at whole foods, trader joes, and wegmans...I am starting school at drexel center city campus in 2 weeks. Not looking forward to being hungry all day... Let me know if you decide to start a meeting.

the one that meets at abington is having a Big meeting on Oct 1. Is anyone going?

• 1 month later...
lucaswe Newbie
you guys can count me in too for a support group. Im new to the forum & to the disease. I have been spending so much money at whole foods, trader joes, and wegmans...I am starting school at drexel center city campus in 2 weeks. Not looking forward to being hungry all day... Let me know if you decide to start a meeting.

the one that meets at abington is having a Big meeting on Oct 1. Is anyone going?

The Greater Phila Celiac Support Group meets the third Friday in October.

For those with cars, the South Jersey Celiac Support Group meets the first Sunday of each month

(except July & August). Our November 5th meeting will be our Thanksgiving covered dish. For more information, you can contact me at celiac9@earthlink.net

Bill

jerseyangel Proficient
The Greater Phila Celiac Support Group meets the third Friday in October.

For those with cars, the South Jersey Celiac Support Group meets the first Sunday of each month

(except July & August). Our November 5th meeting will be our Thanksgiving covered dish. For more information, you can contact me at celiac9@earthlink.net

Bill

Hi Bill,

Where does the South Jersey group meet?

lucaswe Newbie
Hi Bill,

Where does the South Jersey group meet?

We meet in the Barry D. Brown Health Education Center at Virtua / West Jersey Hospital, Evesham Rd & Carne Blve, Voorhees, NJ. Meetings start at 2:00 p.m.

Here is our web site:

Open Original Shared Link

Bill

jerseyangel Proficient
We meet in the Barry D. Brown Health Education Center at Virtua / West Jersey Hospital, Evesham Rd & Carne Blve, Voorhees, NJ. Meetings start at 2:00 p.m.

Here is our web site:

Bill

Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...
elaine33 Apprentice

Hi, I'm new and I'm outside of Philly. I obviously missed the October meeting but would love info about the next one.

lucaswe Newbie
Hi, I'm new and I'm outside of Philly. I obviously missed the October meeting but would love info about the next one.

Hi Elaine,

Our November meeting will be our "Thanksgiving" cover dish. You don't need to worry about

bringing something as there is always plenty of food. Our members are supposed to bring

the recipe for items that they make so that individuals with multiple sensitivities know what

they can eat. It will be on Sunday, Nov. 5 at 2 pm.

We meet at the Barry D. Brown Health Education Center at Virtua / West Jersey Hospital,

Carne Blvd, Voorhees New Jersey.

Bill Lucas, Burlington, NJ U.S.A.

lucaswe@earthlink.net

Chairman of CSA Southern New Jersey Chapter # 9;

elaine33 Apprentice
Hi Elaine,

Our November meeting will be our "Thanksgiving" cover dish. You don't need to worry about

bringing something as there is always plenty of food. Our members are supposed to bring

the recipe for items that they make so that individuals with multiple sensitivities know what

they can eat. It will be on Sunday, Nov. 5 at 2 pm.

We meet at the Barry D. Brown Health Education Center at Virtua / West Jersey Hospital,

Carne Blvd, Voorhees New Jersey.

Bill Lucas, Burlington, NJ U.S.A.

lucaswe@earthlink.net

Chairman of CSA Southern New Jersey Chapter # 9;

Thanks Bill, I don't think tomorrow I will be able to make it possibly the cookie exchange. How long do meetings go? I teach Sunday school and then have church after so Sundays are a bit rough for me for doing things.

lucaswe Newbie
Thanks Bill, I don't think tomorrow I will be able to make it possibly the cookie exchange. How long do meetings go? I teach Sunday school and then have church after so Sundays are a bit rough for me for doing things.

Our meetings run from 2 thru 4.

• 1 year later...
skinnyasparagus Apprentice

I realize this thread is kind of old but I was wondering if some celiacs in the Philadelphia area would like to have a get together, a gluten-free picnic, or something of the sort now that summer is approaching?

Archived