This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Gf Cinnamon Rolls?

kactuskandee

kactuskandee Apprentice

Has anyone tried making them with any sort of success?

Calling all the experts on this one...

(I got off the subject a bit on the Mana From Anna post <sorry> so thought I'd start a new one. Both Catfish and Jessica said they hadn't had real success and so I'm wondering if it can even be done.)

If you're anything like me, you are missing them terribly...that seems to be the one thing I never see that's gluten-free made commercially. When I go out to breakfast, sometimes a down home restaurant will specialize in them (non-gluten-free of course) and they look/smell sooo good.

We manage just fine to substitute just about everything else, why not these?

Thanks,

Kandee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Hi Kandee

I haven't found any place that makes a cinnamon roll like we used to enjoy. The closest ones I found were from Celiac Specialties; most of their stuff is delicious, but the cinnamon rolls were disappointing.

I have the BIGGEST cinnamon roll cravings in the world...if i were to cheat it would definitely be with a fat roll of Grands Cinnamon Rolls. But, since I am trying to be stronger than that... I found that if I make the Cinnamon Chebe bread it takes away the craving. I'm not saying they taste anywhere near as good as the real thing, but somehow they kept me from running to see the pillsbury doughboy (and the hospital!). You can make a simple butter-and-cream-cheese frosting to dunk them in. I think a bag is about 3 bucks at the health food store. If you find another delicious alternative let me know...I'm craving them as bad as you!

Good Luck!

Amy

Guest jhmom

Try Kinnikinnick's cinnamon buns, they are AWESOME!!!

Open Original Shared Link

kactuskandee Apprentice

Stacie,

Thanks...I went to the Kinnikinnick link you supplied. You cannot order those mail order in either the USA or Canada, soooo unless you live near a health food store that carries them you are out of luck.

But I'll bet they are good!!!

Kandee

veggf Newbie

Hi,

I make gluten-free cinnamon rolls either with a gluten-free baking mix (for pancakes or waffles) or with the gluten-free Pantry Bread mix (either sandwich or the white one). I find I have to add a little more butter/margarine in the middle, but otherwise no problem.

I made some for Christmas morning, we really enjoyed them.

Hope this helps! Have a good day!

kactuskandee Apprentice

veggf,

Would you mind walking us thru each and every little step and how you rolled them and cut them and got them to the pan. Also, just how stiff did you make the dough? Did you reduce the amount of liquid considerably? What untensils did you use, etc.?

As you can tell, some of us really would like to have the success you've had.

Thanks a million,

Kandee

Guest jhmom

Kandee,

I've ordered from Kinninnicks before online, however now I am able to get the products at my local health food store.

The website is a little hard to read, click on SHOP, then choose US or Canada, then you have to click on the links on the upper left hand side of the screen (pick a catergory).

I hope this helps you out :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kactuskandee Apprentice

Thanks Stacie,

I did it like you said, and only saw the cinnamon bagels available on line, but I'll try it again. If I have to, will call them.

In the meantime I think I'll just make a piece of cinnamon/sugar toast and pretend it's an ooy-gooey roll...LOL

Kandee

kactuskandee Apprentice

I forgot to ask this.

Has anyone tried these:

Open Original Shared Link

"Chebe cinnamon roll-ups mix"

Kandee

veggf Newbie

Hi,

Alright, I'll try...I make a lot of things by "feel", but I've tried to start writing things down since gluten-free baking is difficult (so I can bake it right each time). I haven't wrote down the process for cinnamon rolls though, since I've always made them by feel (I learned when out camping).

When I make cinnamon rolls with a gluten-free baking mix, I mix it up like a bisquit recipe, but I add more xantham gum. For the times that I've used the bread mix, I've just added mroe gluten-free flour mix or rice flour as I rolled it out to keep it from being a sticky mess. When I go to roll them out, I grease the rolling device (I don't have a rolling pin so I just use a nalegen bottle) with margarine and I lay down a lot of extra flour mix (gluten-free). I melt a "huge" amount of margarine or butter and spread it heavily on to the rolled out dough. I spread the sugar mix out heavily on top of that (I experiment with sugar mixes--unrefined sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.). Roll it up and slice them. I think it is best to cram them into a pan, no spacing, to prevent them from drying out. I'll drissle more margarine/butter on them at this point and at least once during the baking. I have not let the bread mix ones rise in the past, but my husband thinks that would be best. He also suggested that I bake them with tin foil covering them for the first half and uncovered the second half, but we haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps.

Best of Luck :D

sfortney Newbie

kactuskandee,

I've tried the Chebe cinnamon rollups. I liked them pretty well, my son did not. They are definitely not like regular cinnamon rolls from the can or a bakery. They came out a little hard and a bit dry. It just might have been my cooking though. It was one of my first attempts at gluten-free cooking.

stephanie

kactuskandee Apprentice

veggf,

Thanks for explaining how you do it...I was wondering what you used, an all purpose mix or bread mix. I agree about cramming them in a pan...

Let me tell you what I did as my first time at it..I used a bread mix, Gluten Free Pantry White sandwich. Made as directed but used 1 cup water instead of 1 and 3/4...did as you with the butter/sugar/cinnamon but added nuts to mine...Rolled it up and cut in 12 equal pieces and put in a 9X11 inch pan..let rise until they touched and then baked.

First mistake was not to add more sugar to the dough..it needed to be sweet...second, I think I could have added more yeast...they needed to rise more...and third, yes-maybe more Xanthan gum...I also think I baked them to long..maybe covering for the first half like you mentioned would be worth a try.

Anyway, after the fact I found these:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=534

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=930

Anyone ever tried them? I think next time I'll try one of the above and see what happens. I'm determined.

Stephanie, I was wondering about the Chebe rollups..the picture of them sure didn't LOOK like cinnamon rolls. Thanks for the heads up.

Kandee

cdford Contributor

Cinnamon rolls so good even my non-gluten-free household members wolf them down:

I use a recipe that I got off this site only I use a different mix of flours so I'll try to list them off carefully. I mix up a large batch of this baking mix and leave it in the fridge to use for everything from bread in the machine to cinnamon rolls to quick biscuits and pancakes.

Mix a gluten-free flour using 2 parts brown rice, 2/3 part potato starch, and 1/3 part tapioca flour.

Mix together to make a baking mix:

2 cups gluten-free flour (from mix above)

1/3 cup ground flax seed

3 TBS sugar

2 tsp Xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

(For bread, place 1 cup buttermilk, 2 eggs, and 2 TBL oil in machine pan. Use baking mix above. Top with 2 tsp yeast.)

For the CINNAMON ROLLS, biscuits, or pancakes add:

2 tsp baking powder

Mix and let rise 1/2 cup warm water, 1 TBL gluten-free yeast, and 1 tsp sugar

Place baking mix in mixing bowl. In smaller bowl, whisk together 1 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup oil. Add to baking mix in bowl and mix with an electric mixer until all dry ingredients are moistened. Add yeast/water mixture and beat on high for 4 minutes.

Sprinkle the countertop or a large cutting board with rice flour. Pour the batter onto the flour and top with some additional flour (enough to keep the rolling pin from sticking). Roll into a 13" x 13" square. You may need to sprinkle more flour as you roll. Spread softened butter over the top of the rolled batter. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon to your liking. Roll up the batter carefully.

Using a floured knife, cut into 1 1/2" long rounds. Place them into a greased 8" x 8" square baking pan.

Let rise in a warm place until doubled, brush with more butter, then place into a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

The original recipe also said that you can wait to let them rise by placing them, covered with plastic wrap, into the refrigerator until the next morning. Be sure to let them get warm and rise before baking. I found that they are not as tender when you do this, but are still good and convenient for a Sunday morning prior to church.

GLAZE: mix together 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, and 2 drops of vanilla flavoring. Adjust the ingredients to be more or less thick according to your preference. I have found that kind of thick seems to work better.

Deby Apprentice

Dana, your recipe sounds great! I bought buttermilk the other day with the intention of trying some sweetbread. You've inspired me. I think I'll try it today!

kactuskandee Apprentice

Donna, I agree with Deby....you are an inspiration............ESPECIALLY since the non-gluten-free'rs in the house woof them down. If my husband will woof them down, I know they are good. (hard to tell when we who eat gluten-free get used to the differences)

This is a MUST try. Like I think I said before, I'm determined to get a good gluten-free cinnamon roll. The ground flax seed must add to the tenderness and the added baking powder gives them that extra lift. Brilliant!

I make homemade kefir, non-dairy. It smells and tastes like buttermilk only is a thinner consistency. I'll use that as a sub for the buttermilk. I don't think there will be a problem.

Thanks for your complete instructions...

this is why I love this site! :)

Kandee

cdford Contributor

Try them and let me know how they work with your crew. Mine are begging for them again. Even my 18 yr old son grabbed a couple.

kactuskandee Apprentice

I will do Donna, and thanks again.

Maybe I can make them this weekend. I have other non-gluten-free recipes I have to try to adapt for my IBS board folks that have to eat gluten-free too. Sooo, I'll be baking a bunch of stuff...

Kandee

Archived