This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pumpkin Bread

purple

purple Community Regular

I converted my old pumpkin bread recipe to be gluten free and it turned out nonstopeatinggood. :P It makes alot but you could cut it in half. Here is the recipe:

Gluten free Pumpkin Bread

4 eggs

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 15oz. can Libby's pure pumpkin

3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup oil

4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I couldn't decide so I used 1/2 featherlite and 1/2 Carol's sorghum mix)

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground flax, opt.

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. each: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg

1 cup water or milk (I use water)

about 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

In a very large mixing bowl, beat eggs (I use a hand mixer). Beat in sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and oil.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients and beat in 1/2 at a time. ( I just dump it in after measuring and beat in 1/2 the flour last)

Slowly beat in water until mixed and there are no flour lumps. You can add chips now or later.

Pour batter into 6 greased and floured small loaf pans (5 3/4"x3"x2 1/2 ").

Gently stir in without scraping the edges, 1/4 cup chocolate chips into some of the pans(incase your peeps can't have/don't like chocolate like my peeps <_< )

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (I use a convection oven) My breads rose great and were light and fluffy and sooo tastey.

Cut a loaf in 1/2 and take a big muffin to work. :D

You can make muffins, just reduce the baking time and you only need to spray the pans. Or bake in cake pans too. I would advise only trying a big bread pan with one loaf b/c the batter is heavy and the bread may not get done in the middle...someone can let us know...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SacGFGirl Explorer
I converted my old pumpkin bread recipe to be gluten free and it turned out nonstopeatinggood. :P It makes alot but you could cut it in half. Here is the recipe:

4 eggs

1 3/4 cups sugar

1/2 cup oil

4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I couldn't decide so I used 1/2 featherlite and 1/2 Carol's sorghum mix)

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground flax, opt.

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

In a very large mixing bowl, beat eggs (I use a hand mixer). Beat in sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and oil.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients and beat in 1/2 at a time. ( I just dump it in after measuring and beat in 1/2 the flour last)

Slowly beat in water until mixed and there are no flour lumps. You can add chips now or later.

Gently stir in without scraping the edges, 1/4 cup chocolate chips into some of the pans(incase your peeps can't have/don't like chocolate like my peeps <_< )

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (I use a convection oven) My breads rose great and were light and fluffy and sooo tastey.

You can make muffins, just reduce the baking time and you only need to spray the pans. Or bake in cake pans too. I would advise only trying a big bread pan with one loaf b/c the batter is heavy and the bread may not get done in the middle...someone can let us know...

Wow! This recipe makes 6 small loafs? Do you know if it freezes well?

purple Community Regular
Wow! This recipe makes 6 small loafs? Do you know if it freezes well?

I have never frozen the gluten-free version but the gluten kind froze well. I would double wrap it. The smaller loaves are also nice for giving away ;) The first batch you will eat quickly :lol:

• 1 month later...
purple Community Regular

4 eggs

1 3/4 cups sugar

1/2 cup oil

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. ground flax, opt.

2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Pumpkin muffins sounded yummy...I asked my dd if she wanted them again...so I made these yesterday with just the sorghum flour blend and they turned out great...today they were still like fresh made. The batch makes a ton (prob 24, I make 3 sizes), you either have to freeze them or share with a friend :)

sickchick Community Regular

YUM! :) Could never give away pumpkin bread cause I'd be shoving it in my mouth by the handful before I got it wrapped up :lol:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
YUM! :) Could never give away pumpkin bread cause I'd be shoving it in my mouth by the handful before I got it wrapped up :lol:

HAHAHA! I just got the best visual!

sickchick Community Regular
:lol:;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Purple, I am really missing Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. Would this recipe work for that by just putting in a jelly roll pan or would you change something first?

purple Community Regular
Purple, I am really missing Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. Would this recipe work for that by just putting in a jelly roll pan or would you change something first?

I don't know how much this will help. I used to use a gluten carrot cake mix plus the oil, eggs, pumpkin, pie spice and an additional 1/3 cup sugar. They were great, cake like of course, plenty sweet like a cake. Baked in a 15x10" pan but I baked it in an 11x17". The frosting was a can of vanilla ready to spread with 3 oz. of cream cheese beat in.

If you use the bread recipe it will be less sweet and not as flakey as a cake (less sugar is always ok ;) ). If you think it needs a bit more sugar or applesauce try 1/4 cup. But I think it would work great. I wouldn't fill the pan too full b/c I read gluten-free baking should be done in smaller pans. You would have to judge if you would need to add another pan. If I were to try it I would use 1 or 2 muffin pans for extra batter just in case. I had a muffin for breakfast today, the third day and it was just as good as the day I made them 2 days ago. I freeze the extras and send to my dd or give some to a neighbor.

Let us know what happens b/c I have been looking at the pumpkin bar recipe too in a fall baking book :rolleyes:

Sweetfudge Community Regular

lol

HAHAHA! I just got the best visual!

me too :D

I had a muffin for breakfast today, the third day and it was just as good as the day I made them 2 days ago. I freeze the extras and send to my dd or give some to a neighbor.

good to know!

So, would this be enough batter for 2 full bread loaves or just one? Also, would you recommend using canned pumpkin pie filling and adapting the sugar/spices? Cuz that's apparently what I bought and didn't use last fall. <_<

purple Community Regular
lol

me too :D

good to know!

So, would this be enough batter for 2 full bread loaves or just one? Also, would you recommend using canned pumpkin pie filling and adapting the sugar/spices? Cuz that's apparently what I bought and didn't use last fall. <_<

I haven't made the gluten-free version in a full sized loaf pan yet...b/c I read the gluten-free baking should be in smaller pans so the middle will get done. If you take a chance let us know ;) The gluten version recipe says 2-3 large pans so I would use 3 or 1 large and 3 small. Try 3 to be safe so its not so thick.

I just use plain canned pumpkin (Libby's).

Archived