This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Malt-o-meal Cereal No Longer Going To Be Gf !

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Well folks, I know alot of us use this brand of cereal because it is mainstream and easy to find. I found out some cruddy information this morning after a post on the board prompted me to look into the cereal.

They had taken their gluten-free cereal list off of their web page so I called the customer service to check on the gluten-free status and here is what I found:

They are going to be making some of the previously gluten-free cereals NOT gluten-free now, beginning late this comming summer. This is because the FDA has not set regulations for gluten, and they do not test at their facility, so they are adding the gluten to basically cover their butt!! GRRRRRRRR The cereals were already made on non dedicated lines that were washed between batches. They never tested for gluten content on batches.

The fruity dyno bites will be the cereal that is NOT changing and they are made on a dedicated line accoring to the customer service rep (BTW she was SOOOO nice).

SOOOOOOO what it all boils down to IS:

Until late summer (she said watch for label changes) the following cereals remain on their gluten free list:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Thank you Jessica for the information. We use 3 out of 4 of this brand of gluten-free cereals. We have never found the puffed rice, but the kids like the sugared cereals anyhow. They are a nice treat for them. I will be terribly disappointed if/when they do actually change them. I will call.

God bless,

Mariann

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Thanks for posting :D That is a big disappointment :( I will definately call them

Guest gfinnebraska

NOOOooooo!!! I love the choc. cereal ~ how will I get my choc. fix without it??!!?? I will definitely call... I can't believe they are going to do that. I hope my freezer holds a life-time supply of cereal! Ha! Thanks for the information ~ I will definitely call!! :angry: I am SO bummed!!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Sorry I had to be the one to bum you guys out, but hopefully with us calling it might change their minds!! ha

-Jessica :rolleyes:

brdbntL Rookie

I called. They were very nice. The lady I spoke with said the changes might not be made until Winter of 2005 and the products have a year shelf life. They are adding wheat starch as the last ingredient. For ease of getting in contact with them I will include their link. www.malt-o-meal.com Their phone number 1-800-743-3029.

Laura

cdford Contributor

Oh Great. This was the one cereal we could count on around here. I just talked with them last week and they did not say anything about it. I was verifying for someone else. These people need a good talking to or maybe a trip to the woodshed for deliberately adding a known allergen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived