This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chewy Chocolate Oat Chip Cookies

purple

purple Community Regular

gluten-free Chewy Chocolate Oat Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 T. water

1/2 cup baking cocoa

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use Carol's sorghum blend)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 cup dry instant chocolate pudding

2 cups Bob's gluten-free oats, pulsed slightly

2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped nuts or coconut, opt.

Beat together the butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in water, eggs and vanilla.

Slowly beat in cocoa and then all the dry ingredients.

Stir in oats.

Stir in chips and nuts if using.

Drop by large teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until tops look dry.

Let cool then transfer to wire rack.

Use for a Smore sub:

Slightly melt a Jet Puff marshmallow on a plate in the microwave, just until it puffs up.

Sandwich together between 2 cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

This sounds very good! Thanks for posting!

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast
gluten-free Chewy Chocolate Oat Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 T. water

1/2 cup baking cocoa

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use Carol's sorghum blend)

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

1/4 cup dry instant chocolate pudding

2 cups Bob's gluten-free oats, pulsed slightly

2 cups chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped nuts or coconut, opt.

Beat together the butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in water, eggs and vanilla.

Slowly beat in cocoa and then all the dry ingredients.

Stir in oats.

Stir in chips and nuts if using.

Drop by large teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for about 12 minutes or until tops look dry.

Let cool then transfer to wire rack.

Use for a Smore sub:

Slightly melt a Jet Puff marshmallow on a plate in the microwave, just until it puffs up.

Sandwich together between 2 cookies.

This sounds deli!! thank you where do you purchase the gluten-free oats? and what is carols mix??

thank you I am soooo looking forward to making these YUMMY!!!

purple Community Regular
This sounds deli!! thank you where do you purchase the gluten-free oats? and what is carols mix??

thank you I am soooo looking forward to making these YUMMY!!!

Carol's Flour Blend

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 1/2 cups potato starch or cornstarch

1 cup tapioca flour

I have used Bette Hagmans' Featherlite mix before with this recipe but I can't remember how they turned out. I am sure most any gluten-free flour mix would work.

Open Original Shared Link has all the gluten-free flours and the oats. I buy mine at the nearest co-op (its about an hour and 15 minutes away :( )

glutenfreegirl Enthusiast
Carol's Flour Blend

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 1/2 cups potato starch or cornstarch

1 cup tapioca flour

I have used Bette Hagmans' Featherlite mix before with this recipe but I can't remember how they turned out. I am sure most any gluten-free flour mix would work.

Open Original Shared Link has all the gluten-free flours and the oats. I buy mine at the nearest co-op (its about an hour and 15 minutes away :( )

Yummy happy family I will have thanks soooo very much...ENJOY

Chrissyb Enthusiast

That sounds yummy I just have one question. I have Pamela's mix on hand and it already has baking soda and xantham gum in the mix, does that mean I leave it them out?

purple Community Regular
That sounds yummy I just have one question. I have Pamela's mix on hand and it already has baking soda and xantham gum in the mix, does that mean I leave it them out?

I have never used Pamela's mix before. Rachelle could give you expert advice. From what she has posted before, I would say yes. But...she also uses less fat(butter) when she uses Pamela's as a replacement for regular gluten-free flour mix, I think b/c of the almond flour in the mix. I suggest that you cut the recipe in 1/2 and try it with using less butter. Or try it first with a gluten-free flour mix rather than the baking mix. You could turn them into cookie crumbs to sprinkle on ice cream or for pie crust if it doesn't turn out.

They are so good with a melted marshmallow in the middle and I don't even like marshmallows...figure that :rolleyes::lol: Read the thread on Pamela's mix posted on August 11th for more info.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator
I have never used Pamela's mix before. Rachelle could give you expert advice. From what she has posted before, I would say yes. But...she also uses less fat(butter) when she uses Pamela's as a replacement for regular gluten-free flour mix, I think b/c of the almond flour in the mix. I suggest that you cut the recipe in 1/2 and try it with using less butter. Or try it first with a gluten-free flour mix rather than the baking mix. You could turn them into cookie crumbs to sprinkle on ice cream or for pie crust if it doesn't turn out.

They are so good with a melted marshmallow in the middle and I don't even like marshmallows...figure that :rolleyes::lol: Read the thread on Pamela's mix posted on August 11th for more info.

Yeah, I would omit the baking soda, salt and xanthan gum completely. Use the Pamela's straight across for the flour and decrease the butter to 1/3c. You'll want to make sure that it's VERY soft, even melted (that's what I usually do) and it will NOT cream with the sugar completely until you add the eggs and vanilla, THEN it will look like normal cookie batter. I was going to make these tomorrow. I'm really excited to try them, I've totally been craving a good oatmeal cookie and I don't bake with gluten anymore in my house.

wolfie Enthusiast
Yeah, I would omit the baking soda, salt and xanthan gum completely. Use the Pamela's straight across for the flour and decrease the butter to 1/3c. You'll want to make sure that it's VERY soft, even melted (that's what I usually do) and it will NOT cream with the sugar completely until you add the eggs and vanilla, THEN it will look like normal cookie batter. I was going to make these tomorrow. I'm really excited to try them, I've totally been craving a good oatmeal cookie and I don't bake with gluten anymore in my house.

I have a question about baking with Pamela's mix. When I went to their website, they have a statement there about leavening agents and give you the amounts so that you can adjust in your recipes, though they won't comment on salt in the mix or how much it equals. I have never tried to omit the leavening completely and only use Pamela's. I am scared! LOL! Does this work with cookies, quick breads, cakes, etc? I hate to screw up something b/c this stuff is expensive, though I have found it is cheaper on amazon . com when I subscribed to their service.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

I have a question about baking with Pamela's mix. When I went to their website, they have a statement there about leavening agents and give you the amounts so that you can adjust in your recipes, though they won't comment on salt in the mix or how much it equals. I have never tried to omit the leavening completely and only use Pamela's. I am scared! LOL! Does this work with cookies, quick breads, cakes, etc? I hate to screw up something b/c this stuff is expensive, though I have found it is cheaper on amazon . com when I subscribed to their service.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

Every recipe I make (that is not a yeast bread), I completely omit the salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum that a recipe calls for. Then I decrease the fat BY 2/3. I've never had a problem. It actually makes the recipe much faster because there's less stuff to measure out!

wolfie Enthusiast
Every recipe I make (that is not a yeast bread), I completely omit the salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum that a recipe calls for. Then I decrease the fat BY 2/3. I've never had a problem. It actually makes the recipe much faster because there's less stuff to measure out!

Thanks for your help! What is the reason for decreasing the fat, other than it being healthier? Just curious. :) I can't wait to try some more recipes like this now!

I think the almond flour in the mix also acts as a fat, if the recipe contains too much fat (as an ingredient, not referring to being healthier) the recipe doesn't set up right. Cookies will be totally flat and run all over the place, muffins and cakes will take forever to cook and still not seem totally set up, although super moist-but too moist, trust me, there is such a thing ;)

I just pulled these out of the oven and they are OUTSTANDING! Thank you soooo much for the recipe. I did use the Pamela's and 1/3 cup melted butter.

-DANGEROUS :P

purple Community Regular
I just pulled these out of the oven and they are OUTSTANDING! Thank you soooo much for the recipe. I did use the Pamela's and 1/3 cup melted butter.

-DANGEROUS :P

You are welcome and thanks for the Pamela's tips...I'm gonna get me somma dat :P

Archived