This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Achol

bambi-liz

bambi-liz Newbie

Don't get me wrong- I am not a drunk. Actually I only drink at my company Christmas party, but I am wondering what do celiacs drink??? I found out I had celiac disease last May and I am too afraid to try any acholic bev. Somebody help....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

This is a link to this sites gluten free alcoholic beverages. Hope this helps :D

Open Original Shared Link

lovegrov Collaborator

Actually, you can drink almost any distilled alcohol, even if it is made from wheat or rye. The main things to avoid are beer and "malted" drinks, like wine coolers or things like Bacardi Ice or Zima.

richard

astyanax Rookie

cider is a good substitute for beer, all i've encountered (cider jack, strongbow, magners, woodchuck, woodpecker, K) are gluten free but HORNSBYS is NOT gluten free

Guest Leidenschaft

My last trip to the US was quite confusing regarding coolers... they were ALL labelled Malt Beverage... which, really they are not... I did eventually convince myself that the ingredients listed did not contain any malt, and I think I bought (almost a year ago now, so memory is foggy) Bacardi Twisters, and also Seagrams coolers?? Anyway, in Canada I enjoy most Vodka, Rum, AND wine coolers. The only ones that I've found with gluten are the Smirnoff Ceaser's! :( Darn! <_<

My hubby makes wine, so he keeps me in a good supply of red... and my other occasional favourite is Bailey's Irish Cream... that sometimes get's my lactose intolerance going though! :(

Anyway, don't be afraid, there's lots of great choices out there! Even some gluten-free beer if you're so inclined! I am afraid to try that at $20.00 per 6 pack!!! :blink:Open Original Shared Link

One of my clients gave me a bottle to try at Christmas time, it's still on my kitchen counter! :P A bit too pricey for this girl!

lovegrov Collaborator

Sorry, Tammi, but in the U.S. those drinks do indeed include malted barley. They are NOT gluten-free. In Canada, they have actual distilled alcohol, but not in the U.S.

richard

Guest Leidenschaft

Hmmm, well that wasn't on any label that I read! :blink: The Seagrams would have been a rum base so would have been safe? Perhaps the vodka (smirnoffs?, I dont' remember) was from a potato source? I'll have to TRIPLE check next time I'm in the US...

Hmmm, maybe I should consider starting a gluten-free Alcohol Export company!!?? :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Are we talking about the same things? I'm talking about wine coolers, the Bacardi Coolers, Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, etc, that you can buy in the grocery store in four or six packs. Twelve-ounce bottles. Every one of these in the U.S. clearly says on the label that it's a malted drink, and in this case that means BARLEY malt. For these types of things, the label does not have to list barley. These drinks might have the name of a popular liquor, such as Bacardi or Smirnoff, but there isn't a single drop of those liquors in them in the U.S. As I understand it, national taxes on liquor would make them more expensive than research says the market will bear, so they're malted, like a beer, and flavored.

There are indeed mixed drinks in bottles that are sold the same places liquor is sold (laws differ in different states; in my state they're sold only in state-run liquor stores). Those do have liquor and are not malted.

richard

Guest Leidenschaft

Hey Richard, wow, that's alarming!! :blink:

I had previously written a list of the drinks I enjoy here, however when I went searching for this site: Open Original Shared Link my original post content was lost! :angry:

Anyway, as I mentioned previously, the only coolers that I have found with gluten in the ingredients is the Ceaser drinks, showing that they are made by Motts. Anyway, if you're so inclined, you can have a search through the product list, it is quite extensive for coolers, both spirit based and wine based!

As I mentioned, I could be looking at a good export service! :D

lovegrov Collaborator

"As I mentioned, I could be looking at a good export service! "

Except the aforementioned U.S. tax would be so high nobody would buy them.

richard

Guest Leidenschaft

Details, details... :D You were assuming this would be legal?? :o:lol: KIDDING!!

• 2 years later...
finally diagnosed Apprentice

i am wondering if cider jack is gluten free? i know that the wood chuck cider is and they are made from the same co. if anyone knows it would be great. thanks :)

gfp Enthusiast
I did eventually convince myself that the ingredients listed did not contain any malt, and I think I bought (almost a year ago now, so memory is foggy)

Its completely possible to do the same with anything. Pizza, bread you name it you can convince yourself its gluten-free...

If you drink grain alcohol or alcopops then It must not be the gluten, you probably just suffer from IBS and the gluten has nothing to do with it. Beer is low in protein anyway so mightest well add that to the list, it washes down the pizza rather well.

In the end its your health, convince yourself of whatever makes you happy.... I know of a few celiacs who think an odd beer doesn't hurt, I mean how bad can it be?

Another really easy way to find gluten-free food is just take the labels off. Its really quite simple with some warm soapy water to remove lots of labels and then there is n0 gluten.

You can of course decide not to take chances .... but hey you might get hit by a bus tomorrow?

Aizlynn Rookie

I seem to do fine when I make a martini with absolute vodka, but am worried about the olive because of viniger...are those olives safe?

CarlaB Enthusiast
I seem to do fine when I make a martini with absolute vodka, but am worried about the olive because of viniger...are those olives safe?

The olives should be fine. It's flavored vinegars and malt vinegar that are problems.

Archived