This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No More Diary

Chrissyb

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I have come to the reality that I can no longer handel dairy except yogurt. I see that there are a lot of other people on here that also can no longer to dairy I would be so greatful for you help in subs for like cheese, sour cream, cream cheese and so forth. I drink rice milk so that is not a problem for me but what can I use when I want tacos, pizza and things like that.

Thanks so much for you wisdom.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Have you ever tried Tofutti's "Better than Cream Cheese" or their sour cream? They're made of soy and I find them pretty tasty.

Pizza without cheese is surprisingly good. I've also seen gluten-free/dairy-free pizzas with soy cheese, but I haven't quite worked up the courage to try a $10 pizza that I'm not sure I'm going to like (!). I don't think you would miss the cheese on tacos if you use Toffuti sour cream. I love dairy, but since I've been off it I've come to realize that most Americans use a LOT more cheese than is really necessary. A lot of times you can leave it off or just add a little more salt and you get the same taste.

I like almond and soy milk better than rice milk :P They're more creamy.

lizard00 Enthusiast

If you can tolerate goat cheese, you can use that. But it has a much stronger taste, so you can't always substitute it and expect it to be the same. You can find goat cheddar, brie, monterey jack style, and crumbles. The crumbles are great on a salad, and the other night we used goat cheese in our pasta. We crumbled it into the sauce and let it melt. It was great!

Soy cream (instead of ice cream) is pretty good. So Delicious has some great flavors, and the soy sour cream is pretty good, too.

For butter (specifically baking) I have tried smart balance, and that has seemed to work really well. I made some cookies tonight and they were fantastic.

I like rice milk, too. Almond milk is good, but I don't like to put it on cereal b/c of it's thickness. And I just don't care for soy milk at all.

missy'smom Collaborator

Vegan Gourmet cheese

Soytoo spray can whipped"cream"

Earthbalance spread for baking and general use

Vance's Darifree powder(I use it instead of milk in recipes)

purple Community Regular

You can make bbq chicken pizza and you don't need cheese.

I put cooked and mashed (with a fork) sweet potatoes in enchiladas and didn't use cheese, they were great.

I am making lasagna this week with mashed potatoes.

Actually to find an alternative to cheese could be healthier anyway.

We just tried "Follow Your Heart" cheese, its very pretty on top and you can use it sparingly.

I read recently that a someone pours a beaten egg on top of her pizza to "hold" on the toppings and her family loved it. Try it with breakfast toppings the first time.

Shredded hashbrowns "look" like cheese on pizza.

missy'smom Collaborator

purple's post reminded me that crumbled or blended tofu can be used instead of the ricotta cheese in lasagne. Tofu absorbs flavors well. You can also find recipes for chocolate pudding using tofu and melted choc. chips. Sounds strange but tastes good! Enjoylife make gluten-free dairy-free choc. chips.

purple Community Regular
purple's post reminded me that crumbled or blended tofu can be used instead of the ricotta cheese in lasagne. Tofu absorbs flavors well. You can also find recipes for chocolate pudding using tofu and melted choc. chips. Sounds strange but tastes good! Enjoylife make gluten-free dairy-free choc. chips.

Wow I was going to make lasagna and forgot I had tofu for it (DUH), thanks for reminding me too! (never bought it before) and I was wondering how to make pudding and if it was good. THANKS for the info! ;)

So I did a mini search just now and found this:

Open Original Shared Link

its for chocolate pudding

This too:

Chrissyb,

be sure to watch for vegan recipes, I have been so if you need anything specific let me/us know and maybe we can help more.

I have recipes/web sites for waffles, foccacia white bread, enchiladas, mexican refried bean pie, breakfast brownies (granola bars), chocolate cake, mexican spaghetti...and I am sure everyone has lots more too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Here's the recipe that I tried.

purple Community Regular
Wow I was going to make lasagna and forgot I had tofu for it (DUH), thanks for reminding me too! (never bought it before) and I was wondering how to make pudding and if it was good. THANKS for the info! ;)

So I did a mini search just now and found this:

its for chocolate pudding

This too:

Chrissyb,

be sure to watch for vegan recipes, I have been so if you need anything specific let me/us know and maybe we can help more.

I have recipes/web sites for waffles, foccacia white bread, enchiladas, mexican refried bean pie, breakfast brownies (granola bars), chocolate cake, mexican spaghetti...and I am sure everyone has lots more too.

I had to try the choc pudding recipe above for my dd.

Here is about what I did:

4 oz. firm tofu

1 T. coconut milk (needed to use it up)

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup baking cocoa

2 T. agave necter (could use a bit more) (I stirred in the 3rd T. after it chilled and it was just right)

1/4 cup or so rice milk adding 1 T. at a time

Blend well in the blender

It looks like regular choc pudding, dd dosen't like dark choc.

Tastes very creamy and good.

I will make it again

Chrissyb Enthusiast

Thank you so so much you have all been so helpful. I can't wait to try some of these suggestions and the pudding sound wonderful.

My tummy is still so bloated from the steriods and other meds and probably the little bit of nachos I had the day after I got home from the hosptial so I will have to wait until it goes down Who know when that will be I feel pregers. ick. (anybody know any tricks to get the bloating to go away got a pin I can pop my tummy with haha).

Again thank for all the wonderful info.

Nancym Enthusiast

IMHO substituting just makes quitting it harder. I instead opted to go for a more Asian style of diet that doesn't include dairy at all. Good food too!

aikiducky Apprentice

If you can handle yoghurt, I don't really understand why you couldn't handle cheese? Is it too fatty or something? If it's a lactose issue, cheese actually has even less lactose than yoghurt generally. If it's a casein issue, you shouldn't have yoghurt either.

Pauliina

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I can't explain it either maybe someone else on here can all I know is that I can handle yogurt but not cheese. I wish cheese didn't give me a problem but it does. Our bodies are so complicated. If there is one thing I have learned through having Celiac and MS no matter what the doctors might say I will listen to my body it knows what is best for it and what it doesn't like.

aikiducky Apprentice

Ok, fair enough!

I'm completely dairy free, I use coconut milk for a lot of things, especially for baking, and for the rest I just cook food that doesn't require dairy. Can't really help with substitutes. :(

Oh, for a creamy salad dressing or taco filling I sometimes do avocados mixed with whatever, variations on guacamole sort of.

Pauliina

Archived