This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Burning

Fonda

Fonda Newbie

My stomach has been burning for over a year. My family Dr. said it was IBS or GERD. I finally saw a gastro Dr. recently and had a colonoscopy, stomach scope, CT scan, and bloodwork done. I do know that I have IBS for sure. I have not had the celiac blood test done yet, but the Dr. said it looked like I might have celiac from the scope. But he didn't really know. I have tried carafate, protonix, nexium, levbid, zantac and nothing stops the burning in my stomach. I have read and looked on the internet but all I can find about stomach burning is GERD. My burning is in the pit of my stomach like it is on fire and I can't get it put out. It is not up high like GERD. I have been on the gluten free diet for a few days so I can't really tell if that is it yet or not. Although, it seems like things with caramel coloring make my stomach bunr worse. so celaic may be what I have. Does anyone else's stomach burn like mine does?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I get mild to severe pain in my upper abdominal region (just about where the stomach is). I have been gluten free for a year and this symtom just started about 3 months ago. My GI doc says I have IBS (in addition to celiac) which causes pain in that area. However, I am also being tested for diabetes and pancreatic insufficiency (pancreatitis) which can also cause pain in that aera.

I am currently having other symptoms in addition to that pain though.

debmidge Rising Star

Is a stomach scope the same as an endoscopy? Have they checked you for an ulcer in the small intestine, where villi are also inspected?

Fonda Newbie

Yes, an endoscopy. And, yes the Dr. said it looked to be a little irritated or whatever. He wasn't sure this was what it was though. But on the celiac diet, my stomach doesn't seem to burn as bad. Can you tell if some things bother you almost immediately after you eat them? What are your sypmtoms when you know you've eaten gluten?

lambchop Newbie

I'm new to this list and have never posted - just lerking and learning what I can. Been dealing with Celiac for 3 years now and only diagnosed in November 04. I know exactly how you feel, this is what I feel when exposed, but what does help me with the burning stomach is to take L-Glutamine powder, one scoop in the morning and one scoop at night - mixed in any liquid drink. This helps to coat and heal the stomach and helps to seal up the fissures that might be present to allow gastric content to leak out. Then I also take Quercitin (buy at health food store) and take one pill 3 times a day. This is herbal and helps your body deal with the reaction to gluten that is going on. Takes a few days, but has always calmed my stomach down to either a more tolerable level or makes the pain go away completely.

I had a recent flare up this week where the pain was unbelievable, worst outbreak I've had in a month or so. Started the L-Glutamine and Quercitin on Tuesday and the pain is gone today. Although L-Glutamine sounds like gluten, it isn't, my doctor prescribed it - but you can buy it at health food stores, the pharmacy OTC or on line. A little pricey, but well worth it for me to keep on hand.

Hope this works for you like it does me.

Leslie

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Celiac can cause the burning that you are having. Once you get off gluten your symptoms will get less and less if it is a celiac problem. Considering it is getting better when you are off gluten I would suspect that the more you are off of gluten the better it will get. If I accidentally have gluten I get pain in my stomach on and off for like 2 weeks. I would try taking enzymes with your food. This may help to minimize your pain after eating. Also probiotics are good too. I take these supplements and more and they have definately helped. If I can help you let me know :D

Fonda Newbie

Thanks for all the input. Since I am new to this diet, I am learning a lot from this forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived