This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coeliac And Sport

markejt

markejt Newbie

Hi everyone, I have just registered and this is my first post!

Firstly, I'm over in the UK, but that does not matter, what matters is trying to stay healthy and happy while on a Wheat, gluten and dairy free diet. I race bicycles; road and mountain, and find it pretty tough to keep my energy levels up and to perform if I'm feeling under the weather. If I have had a reaction to a food then I leave the bikes well alone and watch TV instead!!

Is anyone else undertaking high intensity sports and found a way to maintain energy levels?

I'm interested in pre-event carb loading and carb intake during activity. The race season has started already and I seem to be making a slow start!!

Help!

Thanks

Marke.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

njlawtonuk Newbie

hello marke & welcome to the board!!

i'm from the UK too!! what a coincidence!!!

i suffer the same problem when i run. not sure if this will help but have a read of article from the link below and try it out.

Open Original Shared Link

happy bicycling!

n.

pturse Apprentice

My issue is not keeping up energy when I exercise but something a little different.

I have been dx since last June and have truly been following the diet since Jan. 1, 2004 (I tried for 4 months before and gave up).

I am an avid runner but lately (especially the past 5 years) my digestive issues have become worse and worse to the point where I can't run a mile w/o the need to run home (if you know what I mean). It's really frustrating.

I have been following the diet and have still no luck. It's especially worse in the morning, which unfortunately is the only "free" time I have to run.

Has anyone else experienced this and does it get better the longer I am on the diet? I am a VERY active person and my digestive system just seems to not comply with my activity level any more. It was fine (fine but with serious digestive issues) when I was younger and in college (I am 27 now) but like I said, as I get older it seems that I can't run anymore because I need to stay closer to home.

I'd like to run my first marathon this December, and I was so close last year but this diet totally robbed my system at first so I decided to let my body heal.

I guess I am looking for any similiar stories or advice?

Thanks,

I love this board by the way. I learn something new everyday!!

jasa Newbie

Hey all,

nice to see a load of other people from the UK using this board :)

Anyhow, I'm at university and a member of the rowing club - seriously intense sport... Over the past couple of years I've worked out what I can and can't eat to be able to cope with the exercise. 'Pturse', I know your problem, trust me - it'll be okay before too long.

Carbohydrates wise, there is 'vegetable rice pasta' - which, if you cook longer than it says on the back of the packet - is actually great. I also eat a tonne of rice and potatoes...

There are a load of special foods out there now, energy snack bars and the like. Some are quite expensive, but just before races I always think its good to stock up on them - is worth it.

Its a bit awkward for me being vegetarian on top of everything else, but I am getting by and coping with the exercise AND still able to build up and maintain muscle mass. I definitely end up getting my five fruits and veggies a day...

Not sure if you're meant to mention brand names and all that shenanigans on here but have seen other people have done so here goes, a few things I particularly like:

Onken Yogurt - loads of them are gluten free (and veggie).

Flapjack - check the standard stuff in supermarkets, loads is okay

Rice Cakes - with a tonne of chocolate spread :P

Organice cornflakes - let the milk soak in for a while though...

That lot, on top of bananas etc, is great.

Someone told me a while back that if your stomach is going through a 'crazy phase' to live off a diet of rice and bananas for a couple of days. Is very bland but has energy - and is actually some of the best advice I've seen on this board. Try that for a few days before throwing in a few more things.

Anyway - good luck all. I think supermarkets are getting the message and the 'free from' ranges are expanding... excellent news.

Take care,

Jasa

njlawtonuk Newbie

hi pturse

have you tried tread mill running to retain your strength as well as being close to the "you know what". it might help your digestive system as well as your confidence to carry out a long run that are worry free.

i'm looking forward to doing my first competitive half marathon this year also. i'll be travelling abroad but i am worried that the food is not going to be safe or that i will simply starve for a week!

have you tried simple dextrose tablets. they provide energy and are not full of fibre. they are also (the brand i buy) are free from gluten and milk.

which is another point. you mention you are gluten free but have you tried excluding other food groups such as dairy? dairy allergies/intolerances from what i remember, have very similar effects to gluten.

i have a problem with rice also so i limit the amount of that i eat (i generally stick to chocolate rice cakes for a treat, but i can still only tolerate one per day).

it might be worth your while, as you have a long time before your marathon to try experiementing with other food exclusion diets.

well, hope this helps, good luck with the marathon. might see you at the NYM soon. nic

debmidge Rising Star

Marke

Best wishes to you for a successful run eventually. My husband has had celiac since he was 27 yrs. old but it wasn't diagnosed until he was 53 years old. Too much damage occured and it robbed him of his vitality because it was untreated (i.e., diet changes). I wish there was something I can add to the advice, but unfortunately I am new to all of this too (on my husband's behalf). I guess the only imput I can have is : see your gastro doctor regularly, stay on the gluten free diet, try an elimination diet to see if you have an allergy/resistance to another food such as soy, dairy or corn. It's hard to concentrate on the things you want to accomplish in life when you have to maintain a diet that takes up your time as if it was a second job.

Good luck!

Debmidge

YankeeDB Contributor

Just wanted to add a quick note that coconut oil (contains medium chain fatty acids) can be good for energy for those who are having trouble with fat absorption as it is absorbed through a different mechanism than other fats. This may be especially useful for those with the symptom of steatorrhea (frequent floating, malodorous, large, light colored stools if you'll pardon the graphic description!) Coconut oil may help with longer duration energy needs than glucose which is great for short bursts. It can be purchased online.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Libbyk

I just wanted to post and say how nice it is to hear athletes posting. I was so weak when I was diagnosed all my major goals had flown right out the window. I don't know the majic answers, except eating as cleanly as humanly possible.

I am planning on doing a major 5 sport event in a couple months, but with good days and bad days, it is really hard to know if I am being realistic or not. I have also developed joint pain in the last month, so I am scared to run and hurt my knees.

you sporty types: do you just go out and hope for the best?

do you get frustated with your training losses when you are feeling too crummy to train?

have you re gained your strength?

Libby

PS, marke- I hated to do it, but when I cut dairy out, I felt a TON better. (damn.) It might help you, especially in the early stages of healing.

pturse Apprentice

Nic,

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try the Dextrose Tablets. Where would I buy them?

I do avoid dairy (lactose intolerant) and am also a vegetarian so my diet is crazy but I try not to have too many foods rich in fiber the night before I run . . . yet I still experience problems. I will have to give the dextrose tabs a try though.

Unfortunately, I don't have a treadmill but I may have to resort to buying one just for those "uncomfortable" mornings.

Good luck with your half marathon! I have to admit it is the greatest feeling when you finish. I never wanted to do a marathon until I finished my first half . . . and then that is all I want to do now. First I'll conquer the CIM (California International Marathon) and then perhaps the NYC! :)

Keep chugging everyone! I think exercise is good for the mind as well as the body and sometimes the only way to beat the feeling that having Celiac gives us it to just "sweat" it out a little.

YankeeDB Contributor

I was never a super-athlete, but up until a few years ago, I danced, did aerobics, and strength-trained on a regular basis. I became too ill to exercise a few years ago but since diagnosis and going gluten-free, I'm optimistic I'll be able to start again. My own plan is to take it really slowly. I believe my body is damaged and malnourished from years of gluten ingestion so I need to build up gradually. Perhaps someone who is in better condition than me would not need to be so cautious. I guess the best bet is to let your body be your guide. If you feel fatigued, there's no need to push hard. The discipline of NOT exercising when your body needs to rest is just as important, IMO, as the discipline of regular exercise. Just my $.02, of course. :)

njlawtonuk Newbie

hello pturse,

i'm determined to find the answer to your problem if its the last this i do!!!!

the dextrose tablets i buy are from a pharmacy, you should be able to find them there too. alternatively have a look at the article below...by mary poppins!!

Open Original Shared Link

also do you eat sea food and fish? i can only tolerate a very limited amount of fish these days, probably due to the amount i used to eat as a child! i don't eat it often usually as a treat, and only after exercise, never before beacuse of the cramps.

i used to be a vegetarian too but when i started restrictive dieting i found restaurants especially, were hard work and so frustrating. becasue i couldn't eat anything on the menu. i slowly began eating meat again after basically not having enough to eat!

i only eat poultry and all kinds of pig as i still hate the thought of all that blood in red meats...yuck!

i think i have mentioned this before but i'm a member of coeliac society in the UK. part of their membership entitiled you to a food and drink directory. this book is my bible, it lists every food and supermarket own brand food you can buy over here in the UK that are gluten free. i'm not too sure what the celiac society in the US provides but if they don't provide this service then push for it. it really does take the hassel out of shopping and guessing which foods are safe, (the ingrediatents lists on foods are always ambiguous). you can also write to your local supermarket for information on their own brand foods as they will have lists of their own for dairy, gluten and nut free foods.

one last thing do you take vitamin supplements? if so have you checked they are safe?

well, hope this helps, must get back to work. take care y'all, nic.

markejt Newbie

Marke here again

Thanks for all the responses and comments. A few things - I am on a diary free diet and have been wheat, gluten and dairy free for four years. The main reason many feel totally weak and lifeless when going onto this diet is the removal of the major complex carbs that your body has got used to and this feeling is therefore a low blood sugar feeling, or at least, its lower than your body is used to. It takes 3-6 months for anyone's body to adapt (my eczema took 6 months to clear) so please, stick at it and don't cheat!!! You're only hurting yourself.

I do feel bad on some days but I am now so damn careful that it rarely stops me. I am cycling up to 150 miles /200kms per week and hope to start running again. I use a heart rate monitor and keep a diary of what I have eaten and how my training went and how I felt. I can usually do what I want.

Since my last post, I looked at my diet and realised a lot of my probelms were very simple - I just was not eating enough. Carbo loading for women has been shown in studies to be almost worthless, but vital for men due to differences in our metabolism and I just was not doing it. I am now and have to say I feel great.

I also take Vit C daily, drink aloe vera, take echinacea and others. I now they are helping as I can do all this and stay well!!

Earlier in the thread, Nic talked about dextrose tablets, these are made by principal sports and are gluten, yeast and lactose free, and do the job if you are well enough hydrated when you take them. If not I have found I feel more tired. They can also act as pick-me-up if my blood sugar is a little low.

Someone also aked if I just go out regardless of how I'm feeling and the answer is NO. too many people train for the sake of training or because they feel guilty if they rest. If you don't train on the day you feel bad then the next day when you are better you can train more effectively. Our immune systems are under pressure anyway, don't overdo it and make sure you have rest days in your training plan.

I think thats it for now, I have found a lot of this helpful, I'm just concerned about a ten day training camp I'm going to next week that is abroad . Asking someone to feed me for ten days is not fair on them and may not be good for me either!! Fingers crossed.

Marke.

markejt Newbie

One more thing,

I don't wnat to upset anyone, but the vegetarians out there that are also on a restricted diet and exercising need to be very careful. Athletes need a little more protein in order to repair damaged tissue (this is how you build muscle - it breaks and repairs bigger and stronger) Unless you have enough good quality protein in your diet, your body will break itself down in order to use its own protein.

I'm not saying eat meat, thats up to you to decide, all I'm saying is get good quality protein into your body, especially in the form of soya. It will stop the weight loss and help give your body some of the fundamentals it needs for repairing itelf.

Bye for now

Marke.

pturse Apprentice

Nic,

Thanks for your concern & help. I appreciated it.

I don't eat fish but I do take vitamin supplements. I have checked and they are gluten free although I do need to check one again because now that I think of it, I think I missed checking it the first time!

I am lucky in that I live in California (orginally New Jersey) so being a vegetarian here is very easy. Restaurants are used to catering to us and there is an abundance of yummy ethnic foods like Mexican, Thai and others. Most restaurants are kind of enough to not include soy sauce and stuff too but you're right, most of the times it's hard.

I've been thinking about eating fish . . . although that was one "meat" my family never had growing up so I consequently never had it and quite frankly, the smell is enough to stear me away. My friends would love it if I would start eating chicken but for me it's more of a consistency issue . . .the texture of meat grosses me out and after 10 plus years of not eating . . . it's become more personal.

I did an experiment last night though. I didn't eat ANYTHING 2.5 - 3 hours before bed time (and I sleep 7+ hours). I woke up only feeling slightly "ill" but was able to manage a moderate run (but once I was home . . . my stomach was happy). So, in addition to trying the Dextrose Tabs, I plan on experimenting with my diet a little more. Perhaps my metabolism is just not up to speed anymore and it takes a while for me to digest??

I appreciate all the posts and concerns.

I have found on line a few postings of foods available from Safeway that are gluten-free, lists of restaurants that have gluten-free menus, and brand names that are gluten-free. My saving grace is a store called Whole Foods, they have the biggest selection. It would be nice to have it all in one book though instead of my make shift binder. :)

Thanks again everyone! I'll keep trying different things!

Back to work!

pturse:)

YankeeDB Contributor

I decided to subscribe to Clan Thompson's pocket pc database of gluten-free/non-gluten-free (and vegetarian/non-veg) foods (he also has one for drugs). It has 3,000+ food items in it. So far it's been fairly useful, although there are thousands of foods not included. You can get a trial version for free to see how you like it. I think he has a PC-based version also.

(Off-topic aside: overall I like having a pocket pc--can play games in line at the market (where I am a frequent flyer these days!) or read ebooks or previously auto-downloaded news stories/weather reports. I also keep my calendar and address book there; it's backed up on my pc so there's less worry about loss. Also, it's password protected in case it fails in the wrong hands. I used maps of the metro and streets during a recent visit to DC. Many, many uses for this little guy....)

But back on the topic, if you don't like the prepackaged gluten-free database (which you can't add to or edit), it might be worthwhile to create your own using pocket excel or whatever. Again, it can be backed-up automatically on your pc. Just one more tool in our arsenal against the VILLI VILLAINS! :D

• 2 months later...
Jinscoe Newbie

Hello...

I too race bicycles. Road and Track. I'm Gluten and Lactose intolerant. I also don't eat red meat. Chicken and fish, yes but very little. I train / race between twelve and fifteen hours a week so food and energy has been a huge issue. So far... here's what I've found that works for me:

Most big race days I tend to eat a nice heaping bowl of rice pasta with a little bit of tomato sauce. During warm up before the race I'll enjoy a banana. During the race I eat these fairly new energy bars by Organic Food Bar Inc. - they're gluten-free and pretty good tasting. 34g of carbs to 14g of protien. Pretty decent ratio. When in a pinch, I'll suck down half a pack of Enervit liquid gel. Honestly, I don't know if it's gluten-free or not but the ingredients list seems to made up of pretty much just sugar. I've had no bad reaction to it so if you go that route... do some investigating before you eat it. None of the ingredients are on the "Foods to avoid" list that I have.

On smaller race days, when races are maybe an hour or so I'll make a sandwich on gluten-free bread from this fine bakery in Colorado. Their breads are incredible. I'll follow that up with a banana before the race gets under way.

Energy drinks are another issue altogether. I haven't done much research into them so for the moment I just drink water. I'm in the process of getting some ingredients lists on a few things to see if I can have them. Like Sustained Energy. I've heard nothing but great things about this product but everything I've found online doesn't list ingredients.

Also, I have no idea if there's a Trader Joe's near you but they have these amazing Banana Waffles that are gluten-free. Very good source of carbs and energy.

If I can help out in any way, just ask. I'm still looking for other products to help me along so whatever I find I'll be sure to post here.

Jerry

Team Bike N' Hike / Giant

veggf Newbie

Hi,

Yeah! Thanks Marke for bringing up the topic, I really struggle with this. I do not race yet, but that is my goal for this season (I mainly road ride). I struggle with keeping enough energy, this was never a problem before my celiac disease manifested. I eat continuously! I don't recover as well as I use to.

Jinscoe, I appreciate your specific examples. I'll look for the gluten-free energy bars by Organic Food Bar, Inc.

I've made my own "granola"/energy bars from a recipe in the gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Easy. I add extra almond slices and extra dried fruit. I've tried a variety of gluten-free cereals in them.

Thanks!

Jinscoe Newbie

Veggf... I should have posted their web address. Maybe there's a way to find out if they sell somewhere in your area. Here's their website: Open Original Shared Link

And the bread I mentioned is from: Open Original Shared Link

travelthomas Apprentice

I wonder if the high stress activities in my youth contributed to the level of the disease I have now. I thrived on surfing big waves, and even remember surfing while houses were being torn apart by the extreme surf. I also remember having good days and bad days. I gave up surfing around the age of 22, because I thought it was the surfing that was giving me health problems. There were also many stressful nonconformist activities in my youth.

Now, at the age of 45, I try my best to keep my stress levels to a minimum. When I cross boarders, and go through military check points, I do everything by the book. I try not to take expensive toys with me, and carry full insurance. If a soldier wants to steal something from me, I just don

• 3 weeks later...
veggf Newbie

Hi All,

I know it has been awhile since anyone has written on this topic so I hope you're all still out there. I've got my first (road) race coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm still struggling with finding the right diet to give me endurance and to avoid cramping (I cannot eat bananas). I am finding more things to munch on rides, Jerry thank you for posting the link for those bars.

Someone asked before how people cope with the training lost due to being Celiac Whacked (as I call it)--right now I just get frustrated. I'll go out and do an easy ride by myself (with lots of potential restrooms near) just so I get out. If I really feel bad I'll just go for a walk, hoping that if I take care of myself that one day I'll be able to really ride again soon.

Take Care, Liz

Guest Libbyk

hey liz-

good luck on your upcoming race. I absolutley feel your frustration when there are setbacks. It is hard to be working so hardat eating right, and trying to train, and get sick and lose all that progress and work. I geuss for me I look at it as an exercise in patience. (not my strong suit!)

thanks for adding to the post. I have been craving word from other athletes who struggle with this.

Libby

• 3 weeks later...
veggf Newbie

Hi Libby and All,

Once again I know people haven't wrote on this issue for awhile, but hopefully you're all still reading this board. I had my first race this weekend (road bike), I placed second for my age catagory:) I was really worried if I would be able to sustain my energy because I had been "Celiac Whacked" about 5 days before. After that day I was extremely very CAREFUL about what I ate (I'm always careful, but I really increased my attention to my food and cross contamination) and I ate a ton of food to try to gain more energy. I felt fine on race day.

Someone one had asked about sport drinks: I've been buying Knudsen Family Organic Recharge Lemon Thirst Quencher (contains electrolytes). I like it, I do water it down by 50%.

Hope your season is going well! Your comments are great, it is nice to know that I'm not the only person trying to balance celiac disease and sports.

Thanks, Liz

• 3 months later...
travelthomas Apprentice

Hi Liz,

Sounds like you are doing good. Last year in the Yucatan I did really good with the free dives and the scuba diving. I did a 60 foot free dive with no problem. This year I feel even better and who knows, maybe a 75 foot? I don't push myself but I've always been like a fish in the water.

I did have problems with the high elevation hiking at Great Basin National Park this fall, but that could of been more because of being out of shape, after a lazy summer, and at 13 thousand feet the air gets a little thin.

aaascr Apprentice

I am newly diagnosed celiac disease and allergic to most proteins - so far have found Nutiva's Shelled Hemp (different species) Seed gluten-free products not to bother me. I was and am back to playing soccer and working out in the gym - I'm not back to the top of my game yet, but I am working on it. Nutiva.com is the website.

Anybody find an gluten-free energy drink?

Thanks,

aa

veggf Newbie

Hi All,

Aaascr, I'm excited to look into Nutiva's Hemp gluten-free products, thanks for the info. Hemp is supposed to be quite the wonderfood. You asked about energy drinks, do you mean like the protein energy drinks or the electrolyte replacement energy drinks? If it is electrolyte repl.--Gatorade is gluten-free according to the call I placed to their manufacturer in September. I can't do Gatorade personally, it hurts my tummy:) I love Knudson's Recharge Lemon/Lime flavor.

Travelthomas, thanks for the positive words. Good luck with the diving.

Everyone, I'd love to hear what other celiac endurance athletes/celiacs involved in sports munch on for regular non-workout snacks. I feel like I am perpetually eating. And I'd love to add new snacks to my diet for variety. I've been doing a lot of natural pb with apples, fruit leather, rice cakes with pb or preserves or hummus, homemade gluten-free non-refined sugar choc. chip or snickerdoodle cookies, soy milk. What are you guys snacking on to keep up your calorie intake?

Thanks, Liz

Archived