This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Warning: The Gluten-free Bible

celiac3270

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for the info !

plantime Contributor

Your word on it is good enough for me! I tend to only use what I find on Celiac.com, though. It is the best site I have found so far, and I usually stick with what works and is accurate.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Well, I do not consider any Frito-Lays' products to be glutenfree (unless made on a dedicated line). If Cheeto's have that cross-contamination then I would agree with then not being glutenfree.

All books will have issues, especially those written from personal expereince. Read it or don't but if you do just remember to think about what's being said. have you persoannly read it, celiac3270? At my last support group meeting it was discussed since the author attened a previous function and everyone there who read it seemed to like it.

I know she wrote the new one since the old one is outdated.

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

debmidge Rising Star

celiac3270, I trust your carefuly discernment. It appreciated. Deb

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have been told be lots of people how good the book is and that they've enjoyed it.

I just think people should read it for themselves and decide. Maybe they can get something out of it. It's not getting bad reviews from everyone.

Frito-Lay right out tells you that most of their products on that list will be contaminated making them not glutenfree.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

connole1056 Rookie

I agree with celiac3270. When my daughter was diagnosed 6 years ago, her nutritionist suggested I get Against The Grain, and like a fool I did. I think Lowell is a moron. It seemed to me she is simply trying to break out on the comedy circuit (although she is NOT funny she thinks she is) rather than trying to put out any useful information that would actually help anyone. I have not read anything else written by Lowell so I cannot comment on the newer writings, but I can say that I would not waste my money on something else by her. Why should she get rich off my dollar? It was overwhelming when my daughter was diagnosed as a celiac. Even the support group in my area recommended this book, but I was sorely disappointed with the content. There was nothing of interest, or even of help in the first book so I would never read another.

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

shimma Apprentice

I haven't read either of those books, but after reading this post at work and then spending most of my drive home thinking about it, I had to post my two cents.

I ENTIRELY disagree with the attitude that "everyone cheats, it's inevitable." The doctor who diagnosed my celiac disease told me something similar. He said, "In six months, you'll feel better and want a pizza, and that's normal. It's fine as long as you don't do it too often." Well, what is too often? If every six months is ok, how about every five? Every four? How much is too much? It's too arbitrary, and I'm not interested in dealing with that slippery slope. I've been gluten-free for two years, and I've never cheated once. I've never even been tempted to cheat.

Now, that's not to say that I'm immune to the smell of fresh bread, or don't pine a little at the sight of a beer. But I just can't justify to myself having "just a little" gluten. Why tease myself that way? I can probably make the same thing at home that's almost as good (if not as good) that is safe and I can eat whenever I want. I feel like if I let myself have a pizza every once in a while, as some kind of strange reward for being good on my diet (how backwards is that?), then what - I'm just biding my time til my next taste of gluten? No thanks!

Of course, if you're able to justify to yourself that it's ok to cheat once in a while, then that's fine - it's your decision. You are the one dealing with the consequences, not someone else! But I just hope that people aren't using someone else's justification, that it's ok because everyone does it. Because not everyone cheats.

Thanks for letting me rant, and be sure to be good to your bodies!

ianm Apprentice

Everyone cheat? I don't think so. I read Against the Grain and couldn't believe the crap that was in there. Very poorly researched but well written. Celiac.com is the only safe place for information because we've been there and suffered through it. I don't know what Lowell was thinking. I don't think she ever really had to suffer the fatigue, brain fog and extreme pain most of us have had to live with. If she did she would have been more careful and never would cheat either.

lotusgem Rookie

Right on, guys! If someone is concerned about his health and is seriously committed to following the diet to the letter, then the attitude that "everyone cheats" is not helpful in the least. I suppose that she is playing to the human weakness in us all, but in so doing, she is overlooking our potential strength! I also have never cheated or even been tempted to do so.

Paula

Guest nini

I read Against the Grain when I was newly diagnosed and didn't know any better, at the time I did enjoy the book, I enjoyed her style of writing and thought that some of her advice was useful. I also took from it that I needed to make my own decisions after doing my own research and verifying for myself what was gluten free. I do think she's got some good things in the book, maybe instead of just warning everyone to stay away from her books, we should instead be forming a letter writing campaign to her to let her know of the inaccuracies in her book and how dangerous some of her statements are.

You have a really good point celiac3270 in that newbies are going to take her word as gospel as far as what is safe or not, but I do believe that she does make a disclaimer in her book that this is her personal experience and that readers will need to discern for themselves what is useful or not. I did get a little irritated at her calling the new book "The Gluten Free Bible" though, IMHO that is just crap!

Bette Explorer

:o Ok Since I am one of the newbies, and haven't started the diet yet, still waiting for the appt. with the G.I. I went to the local bookstore and bought "Dangerous Grains" by James Braly,M.D. and Ron Hoggan, M.A. and "Eating Gluten Free" by Shreve Stockton.

Has anybody read these? Is there any conflicting info. in here to???

I was trying to find books by by Dana Korn, but they did not have them, I will just order them on amazon.

Bette

ianm Apprentice

"Dangerous Grains" is a good one. After reading that I had absolutely no desire to ever eat a donut ever again.

• 1 month later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

--

PreOptMegs Explorer

Dangerous Grains is an absolutely amazing book, so good choice Bette!!! It is very well written and I have not found any discrepencies or any comments that I have found to be inaccurate!! It is a must have.

debmidge Rising Star

RE: Dangerous Grains

As most here in forum know, my husband is celiac, I am not. After reading Dangerous Grains it made ME not want to eat wheat!

Maybe the "Dummies" publishers should make "Going gluten free for Dummies!" as the beginner book.

RE: consecrated hosts in Catholic faith. As I recall, the host is not to be dropped to the ground for any reason (we've been through this on another thread, but it bears repeating just to clarify it, not to start a discussion on religion/faith again) as the consecrated host is to Catholics the actual body of Christ and must be handled with reverence. I find giving it to the birds bizzare.

Now I'll have to go to library and skim through this new "bible" of Jax's. If it is indeed chock full of inaccuracies according to "tried & true" celiacs and would make a newbie practice their "celiacism" incorrectly, then it should be pointed out; however, if pointing that out consititues "criticism" then call it what you will.

I don't use Delphi forum but no one there should be attacking the author or her family personally. That will certainly take away from the issue.

mcle8232 Apprentice

I'm the person (Megan Tichy) mentioned throughout the "open letter" from Jax that was posted on St. John'e Listserv. I wanted to share what I attempted to post to the listserv about it yesterday (my post has yet to appear... ???). And just say this: I'm not "out to get her" as Jax made it seem. In fact, I said some positive things about her too, like that she is talented. I used to think she was funny too. Until she made this a personal attack on me by mentioning my name repeatedly throughout her letter. *My* only true complaint was with regard to the Pfizer pharmaceuticals as posted on amazon .com. She really made me sound like a monster. Like I was masterminding an attack against her, and I am most certainly not doing that. I merely posted a summary of responses that I received from fellow listmates, as you'll understand after reading the following.

Fellow Listmates:

In an effort to make sense of the recent "open letter" from Jax Peters Lowell, author of The Gluten Free Bible, I am re-sending my two relevant posts: the very first post that I made to the Listserv regarding the gluten-free status of Pfizer drugs as mentioned in Jax's book (below, message #1) and the "review" post that followed it (below, message #2).

Jax's letter read in part that there was "clear and compelling evidence that a group of people are conspiring to destroy a book and sully its author's reputation" and "as for me I am deeply saddened by the treatment I have received at the hands of a malicious few."

Please note that after I made my initial post (message #1) I started receiving several messages from people all over the US and Canada regarding *their* experiences with the book. None were positive. So I decided I'd post a review on amazon .com, and copy in the Listserv to let you all know about it.

In that "review" post I *included* a *summary* of the emails I'd received from others following my first post (but in my haste forgot to clearly label it as a "summary" as well as a review -- so some people, including Jax apparently, read the entire post as if it was all coming from me...). Many of these emailers probably did a simple "cut and paste" from something they'd posted on another board.

Thus Jax's comments: "Because of the phrasing of Ms. Tichy's recent communique is almost eerie in its similarity to these other reviews..." and, "I was crushed and I was hurt, but I was also suspicious. A few of these sounded as if the same person had written them, or there had been a discussion of some previously agreed-upon position. Even the punctuation was the same."

My apologies for not giving those individuals credit at the time, but as I understand it we value each others' privacy on St. John's Listserv. And these summarization of posts are a frequent occurrence - it is how we get out valuable information in a clear and concise way.

I removed headers and contact info from each person's email and separated each person's comment with a line, as is traditionally done on the Listserv. The only thing I forgot to do was say that it was indeed a "summary" - that is up until my own review (from amazon .com) which appears at the end of the message.

Again, I have no affiliation with these other posters or posters from the DELPHI forums. Jax's comments came off as nothing more than delusional and paranoid.

We all have the right to share our opinions, and I am not a malicious person because I shared mine. People post negative reviews on amazon .com everyday. Lashing out at your critics and calling them names within their own support forums is just plain juvenile.

________MESSAGE #1________

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 11:14:45 -0500

To: CELIAC@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU

Sender: Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List

<CELIAC@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>

Poster: Megan Tichy <mtichy@MAIL.CHEM.TAMU.EDU>

Subject: The Gluten Free Bible

With regard to the recent post:

--I found on page 394 of the new book "The Gluten Free

Bible" that Lipitor is listed as NOT Gluten Free.

I called Pfizer Pharmaceuticals and spoke with a

pharmacist who confirmed Lipitor DOES NOT contain Gluten--

I also found this to be the case for Pfizer's Zoloft.

It is listed in the book as being not gluten free, and I

called Pfizer to find out that it IS 100% free of gluten,

according to the representative I spoke to.

Not sure if Lowell was trying to make the point that

Pfizer would not cooperate by releasing their gluten-free status at

the time she wrote her book, or if there was known to be

gluten in their formulas.

Megan

________MESSAGE #2________

Book Description: The definitive guide to the gluten-free

lifestyle, completely revised and updated for the 2.2

million Americans with celiac disease.....Since this book

was first published in 1995 (as Against the Grain), Jax

Peters Lowell has been helping celiacs follow a

gluten-free diet with creativity, resourcefulness, and

humor.

-----------------------------------

You may want to check some of the other facts in her book

for accuracy.

There are numerous errors in the book, plus a lot of bad

advice (like eating the insides from a sandwich or cheese

off a cracker). All reviews critical of the book on Amazon

have been mysteriously disappearing or have been edited in

some way (not by the poster of the review).

The Gluten Free Bible is terrible. There are even worse

statements at the Delphi Forums board and at the

amazon .com customer review section. Here's what I posted

about it at celiac.com:

There have been rantings at Delphi on the inaccuracy of

the book. First, Jax doesn't research carefully: she says

that Cheetos and Tootsie Rolls aren't gluten-free--they both are.

She has so many inaccuracies, suggesting that you eat

something just so you don't offend your host, regardless

of whether it contains gluten and suggesting that you take

the wheat communion, hold onto it, and later feed it to

the birds. She is more aware of contamination in this book

than in the last, but I still wouldn't trust the book

farther than I can throw it . She still mentions removing

the contents of a "normal" sandwich and putting it between

two slices of gluten free bread and eating it -- if you

are not "too sensitive."

...the review section at Amazon... basically a war between

the newbies who like the writing style and assume the

info. is correct and the old-timers who are warring

against it:

Open Original Shared Link

To those who want more validation, either read the reviews

from the link above or:

1) Go to the web site,

Open Original Shared Link

2) Click on "messages" or "start reading"

3) Go to the general discussion folder. There should be a

topic called something like "Gluten-Free Bible not so

great" or "Gluten-Free Bible Review." If you do not see

it, make a post and someone will link you to it.

My Amazon review (posted today): Most of the people who

gave shining, sparkly reviews of this book focus on how it

made them feel. It is not boring. Jax is a talented

writer, I'll give her that. But when I read on page 394

that the perscription drugs I was on and had been on for 5

years (both Pfizer drugs) were not gluten-free I was seriously

troubled.

Many follow-ups with both Pfizer and online support groups

have indicated just how full of erroneous information this

book is.

I went off my meds immediately thinking I was injesting

gluten. I suffered the undue consequences of going off

"cold turkey" when I needed to taper off. In actuality

those meds ARE gluten-free, and always were!!!

If you want the facts (as boring as they are) -- dont rely

on this book. If you want some comfort and laughs then

give it a read, but be sure to take any factual

information with a grain of salt, as they say.

Jax was indeed very lax when writing this book.

Megan Tichy

`````````````````````````````````

Dr. Megan Tichy

Lecturer, Texas A&M University

3255 TAMU, Department of Chemistry

College Station, TX 77843-3255

celiac3270 Collaborator

--

connole1056 Rookie

I think she is creating more interest in her book than if this so- called attack on her character did not exist.It smells of a publicity stunt. I agree with her about what she said about humor, and that is it. I read "Against the Grain" and hated it, so I never read anything else she wrote. She is so not worth it. Anyone can bring legal action against anyone. That does not mean the case will be found to have merit, and thus be allowed to proceed. I do not see how a few bad reviews should allow one person to sue another. Did she ever hear of free speech? Maybe all that gluten she is getting when she cheats has put her in such a fog she is confused!!!!!

As for feeding a consecrated host to birds, that is absolutely wrong. I doubt any Catholis priest would find it charming, as that very action is sacreligous.

celiac3270, did she ever mention you personally, or just Megan? What bull!

jen-schall Rookie

back to the subject of cheating: first of all, (check other forums) it's not something typically *done* by celiacs. most of us have been so sick we'd never willingly submit our bodies to gluten again!

second of all, what the author ought to know AND report to her readers is that even if someone eats gluten and feels NO EFFECTS WHATSOEVER, the internal damage (lymphocitosis, damage to villi, etc) STILL happens. your blood antibodies will get thrown off and take at least six months to right themselves.

people who have been gluten-free for long periods of time tend to have only small reactions to gluten because their systems are not inflamed like they used to be. if we were to cheat b/c it didn't really feel painful, we'd be doing inner damage and eventually our system WOULD get re-inflamed, etc etc.

it makes me really angry that someone would publish things like this without an organized outcry. it's bad enough not all doctors know that much about celiac. i'm a writer myself and in nonfiction, there is an implicit responsibility to tell the freaking truth! esp. when health is involved. but she sounds a little weird anyway.

anerissara Enthusiast

I agree about the cheating aspect. A better way to put that would have been "everybody will *want* to cheat" at one time or another...but knowingly eating something with gluten is like an alcoholic having a cocktail every now and then....not good! I know, because the only time I knowingly ate gluten in the last 5 months has been a communion wafer--did this twice--and the last time around I could tell that not only was I sick, real damage was being done. *Not* worth it!!!

I guess maybe if the writing style etc. is interesting with that book one could just check it out of the library and read it for kicks, keeping in mind that this person is *not* an expert. However, it is scary thinking that newbies are getting advice like taking apart a sandwich and rebuilding it on gluten-free bread. I wouldn't do that, and I can see where thinking along these lines could lead to other slip-ups that could really add up.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Ok. This is the most interesting thread here. I'm shocked at what I've been reading and I want to commend celiac3270 for his concern, his maturity, his ability to handle the response of that writer...Damn, are you sure you're only 14?? I was such a dweeb at 14. I certainly couldn't handle myself the way you do.

The attitude of that author, her pompous tone of indignation and her bad advice are combining to discredit her. She would love to blame her poor reviews on a rogue mob of spiteful Celiacs who couldn't possible have the best interests of their fellow Celacs in mind when they criticize her. Let her work on that fantasy for awhile. Eventually everyone who is forced to endure her version of abuse will see the truth. I'm ever grateful to people like Scott Adams and you guys here for keeping new Celiacs accurately informed. Celiac.com was THE site for my indoctrination into the gluten free life four years ago, and I'm so grateful I got my education here rather than from a book like the one that's being discussed.

On the subject of Cheating...What trash. Maybe Celiacs should start their own version of A.A. for those who "fall off the grain-wagon".

And I breezed by something about a lawsuit against those who wrote bad reviews and hurt her financially.... Geez, Ebert and Roeper should look out! I know, let's tell her we're going to sue her for dishing out piss-poor medical advice. It's all total idiocy. celiac3270, you being only 14 and all, you should be told that any threat of a lawsuit is total garbage. I hope you didn't consider it even the remotest of possibilities. She's an idiot. I'm no genius, but she really takes the cake.

Archived