This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Butter/margarine

Kasey'sMom

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

We have gluten, dairy and soy issues. Is there a prduct that dosen't contain these things? I've used a couple of butter substitutes but they have soy in them. Is there such a product? Anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Matilda Enthusiast

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thaks Matilda,

I know it's really tough for people with multiple food issues. We're running into the same situtaion with cheese. The rice cheese that I've looked at also have milk protein in it. My daughter loves organic, unsalted butter. She seems to crave it and could eat it all by itself :o The olive oil idea is great! I had some coconut oil and I didn't know if it would work for baking? :unsure:

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...
specialdiets Newbie

Fleischmann's produces two light margarines that can be used in baking. These are suggested because they are few of the only non-dairy margarines on the market.

Unsalted Fleischmann's - Comes in sticks. Free of all dairy and gluteningredients, but does include Soy.*** so not what you want, however-

Light Fleischmann's - Comes in tubs. Dairy-free, Gluten-Free and Soy-free, it is derived from Corn and Canola Oils.

How to Substitute

1. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup more Fleischmann's than butter, shortening, or margarine in a recipe.

Example: 1/2 cup Butter, Margarine, or Shortening = 3/4 cup Fleischmann's.

It is important to melt the Fleischmann's in the microwave for 30 seconds to properly measure it.

2. Because Fleischmann's contains more water content than butter you will probably need to REDUCE any liquid ingredients such as water or milk that the recipe requires. Do this by first adding the Fleischmann's and then slowly mixing your batter. Add the other liquids slowly to the recipe, keeping in mind you will probably reduce it by approximately 1/4 cup.

3. Follow the recipes instructions on baking temperature and time.

Coconut Butter

A naturally saturated, unhydrogenated, unrefined vegetable fat. It is stable which makes it ideal for baking and sautéing. Coconut butter is the same as coconut oil. Use as a substitute for shortening and butter in recipes such as pancakes, cakes and cookies. Unlike other substitutes it may lend a slight ‘coconut’ flavor to finished products.

Example: 3/4 cup coconut butter = 1 cup butter

Palm Oil

The only type of oil that is solid naturally at room temperature. This means it does not require processing and hydrogenation like shortening. It has a mild to no flavor and is perfect for baking. Use it interchangeably with traditional shortening. It is generally found in natural foods stores or by special order.

Example: 1 cup Palm oil = 1 cup shortening.

Sunni

kabowman Explorer

I heard that there is a passover butter (Mother's I think) that is supposed to be dairy and soy free but I didn't find it in my town.

Everything I have found has soy...I use canola or olive oil for baking and I have not had any problems. However, if a receipe calls for solid instead of melted then you need to use a solid oil to replace it with.

Also, I have heard and from personal experience, if you have a problem with casein, stay away from goats milk products.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendations. Now I've got options!!!! I've read in the information form YORK about the goat's milk. I was hoping that might be an option but we've decided to steer clear!

• 3 years later...
Linda M Newbie

If dairy isn't a problem is it possible to substitute butter for the gluten-free margarine in Gluten free recipes? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Smart Squeeze by Smart Balance is free of gluten, dairy and soy. It's more of a liquid. Can't be used in cooking or baking but can be put on things like bread and potatoes. For baking I use coconut oil or olive oil.

TinaM Apprentice
We have gluten, dairy and soy issues. Is there a prduct that dosen't contain these things? I've used a couple of butter substitutes but they have soy in them. Is there such a product? Anyone have any ideas?

It's Passover season so i'd try and find some Mothers Margarine. You can find them at local Kosher stores or even the Kosher aisle of your grocery store. You might be able to order them online too.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Passover is the best! I stock my freezer every year with Mother's. I saw a few other brands this year. You can order passover margarine online here:

Open Original Shared Link

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I frequently use sweet oils as a butter substitute. Grapeseed, almond, hazlenut are all good. Don't use grapeseed outside of a recipe. It gums up a pan like nothing else. It is fine if it is mixed into a batter though. All are also good for drizzling on bread. I use olive oil for my savory dishes and usually grapeseed for my sweet. I don't really use "butter" in pats anymore though. good luck.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Clarified butter works for me. It removes the milk proteins and lactose. I find it cheaper to make myself with salted butter (salted butter has less milk proteins). I store it in a glass jar and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. If you are super sensitive you may want to buy it commercially because you have to remove all the white protein that settles to the top to be completely free of diary. I haven't been able to find the Light Fleischmann's in my grocery stores but that sounds good too if you can find it. Again, it works for ME and doesn't give me any gas and bloated symptoms that unclarified butter will give me but everyone is different with their sensitivities. Personally, I don't like the fake butter taste and can't handle the coconut oil although it is tastey.

Archived