This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Out

swittenauer

swittenauer Enthusiast

My husband & I are getting ready to go on trip for 3 or 4 days & I'm sure we will be eating out quite a bit. We are aware of certain restaurants with gluten free menus but my question is what type of foods would be the safest to order without actually having a gluten free menu for places we stop to eat that don't list a specific separate menu for people with gluten issues?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I personally try to avoid places without a policy on gluten. It is risky enough just to go to the places that have gluten free menus and serve other food but a place with no policy is probably not well versed and would probably contaminate food easier.

grantschoep Contributor
I personally try to avoid places without a policy on gluten. It is risky enough just to go to the places that have gluten free menus and serve other food but a place with no policy is probably not well versed and would probably contaminate food easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing that can usually be safe, is a baked potatoe. Make sure they don't mess it up before the give it to you by cutting it open and adding nasty stuff like sour cream and that to it. (I just had that done last weekend... I hate sour cream)

Basically if you get the baked potatoe, baked, and yet un cutinto, you can at least feel pretty good that the potatoe inside is not going to be containminated.

Other than the baked potatoe, I usually go for the "slab of meat" item on the menu. Usually a cheaper steak or pork chop, I first make sure they don't have them preseasoned or anything. I ask for a clean fry pan, and thats about it.

I generally will avoid any potatoe that is not a baked potatoe, and anything with "sauce", which is pretty much why I go with the "slab o meat" option. Most places are smart enough to figure out how to cook the meat without any additives, assuming it wasn't preseasoned.

Roo Explorer

When we eat out we usually order things like eggs, hamburger, steak, grilled chicken, grilled or sauted shrimp, lobster, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or roasted potatoes and vegies. As an appetizer mozz and tomato or mussles in a red sauce, steamers or shrimp cocktail.

Isn't Rosoto also Gluten Free? How about shrimp or lobster salad?

Roo

elonwy Enthusiast

I find the most atkins-diet like thing on the menu and DISCUSS. I found that if I pick a couple things on the menu that look safe before talking to the waiter then I get a better response than " what on your menu can I eat?" Also, if the celiac/gluten intolerance spiel doesn't get you anywhere I was really successful with "I'm allergic to all grains, don't let anything that has any grain products of any kind touch my food". Didn't get sick that time. If they don't get it, I figure a little white lie to keep me from getting sick isn't so bad if it scares them into not messing with my food.

Elonwy

nogluten- Newbie

When eating out I always ask for a plain salad with no croutons in a clean bowl, steamed vegetables with no seasonings. If I'm not sure of a gluten free dressing I just squeeze some lemon juice over the salad.

Guest gfinnebraska

I agree with the above about a "slab of meat" angle. Whether it is McDonalds or a fancy restaurant, a piece of meat cooked in a clean pan has always worked for me. It is always a risk, but sometimes it can not be helped. Have a great trip!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Someone mentioned Risotto and said isn't it gluten-free, the answer to that is usually not. It is almost always made with chicken broth and unless they make the broth at the restaurant they probably won't know if the broth is gluten-free.

I just spent a week on the road in upstate NY and wasn't glutened once, I was in the finger lake area and syracuse and rochester. In Syracuse we had the best experience.. we went to a newer place called bc's (I think I have the initials right, if someone wants to know for sure I can ask my BF) and we called them and asked about gluten-free and they said come on down you'll be surprised. It was a very nice hip place and they even had gluten-free crackers for me. No gluten-free menu but everything including sauces and their chicken broth is made on site from scratch. The food was excellent I did have risotto there and fish too wow was it good. No gluten in site of my dinner. I think it was the Maitre d` that has a gluten-free who is celiac so they have it all figured out. We also hit an ice cream parlor that made all homemade ice cream and they had a gluten-free list wow that Purple Cow was excellent!

My BF and I have started to tell places that I have a severe allergy to wheat (even though its actually celiac) and that seems to work far better, most restaurants are very well versed in allergies. They are afraid of anaphalactic shock and in almost every place, casual and fancy when I said allergy they brought the chef/cook out to speak with me. I had a wonderful time and in 5 days of 3 meals a day I wasn't glutened once.

Susan

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Usually restaurants that serve risotto use real chicken broth.

As a waiter for 8+ years, I can tell you that 90% of the risotto I have encountered is gluten-free.

"Cheap" places do not normally use "fake" chicken stock ---- but always ASK!!

I find it best to ask the waiter for a pad and paper -- write down your question to the chef and also give them your gluten-free card......

Don't be leary of risotto -- it is so wonderful!!!!

the same can be said for mashed potatoes -- 90% of that is ok -- GRAVY IS NOT, HOWEVER!

Hope this helps,

Bronco

swittenauer Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice. We are going to give it a whirl & do our best to stay gluten free. What about salad bars? Anyone have any thoughts on how safe they are?

mstrain Rookie

I'm on vacation right now and my husband and I went out to dinner tonight without the kids! I spoke to my server who spoke to the chef and then told me his suggestions (plain steak, baked potato and house salad with oil and vinegar). It was an impromptu outing and may have had a more "gourmet" meal had I called ahead. If you could call ahead and speak to the chef directly he may be able to plan ahead of time and make you a meal that you wouldn't normally make at home. Good luck!

Archived