This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Malt Diastase

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Malt Diastase is an ingredient in my liquid vitamins. Does anyone know if it contains gluten? I read on another post that its from barley. The vitamins say "does not contain gluten products". The last time I had the vitamins was 1 week ago...I got a reaction later that day but assumed it was something I ate. Everytime I get a reaction I'll stop all supplements or whatever foods might be suspect. Seems like I've been on and off of those vitamins for months now. Now that I'm gluten-free I figured the vitamins were safe due to the labeling which is why I started taking them again. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Hey Rachel:

Malt diastase is derived from BARLEY. So it's GLUTEN!!! I continued to take daily digestive enzymes with malt diastase for 8 months after I went gluten-free and wondered why I wasn't getting complete pain relief. That ingredient is in a LOT of vitamins, supplements and digestive enzymes. I'm certain that's what you reacted to. Sorry ... I hope you can find a gluten-free vitamin substitute.

BURDEE

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well it would definately explain alot. How come the label says its gluten free? Can they just put that on the label even if its false? I would have figured it out alot sooner had it not been for that. Sheeesh. Thanks for letting me know.

burdee Enthusiast

Did the label say 'gluten free' or 'wheat free'? That can be confusing, but food manufacturers who use barley derivatives will often list their product as 'wheat free'. :( FYI Malt is BARLEY seed which is artifically germinated, dried and then used in the form of an extract as a flavoring agent. So malt ANYTHING is barley. BTW Rice Dream milk also uses barley to process their product. <_<

BURDEE

Rachel--24 Collaborator

The label says free of all gluten & wheat products. I know about malt and Rice Dream but the labeling on this product has me confused.

burdee Enthusiast

If the product lists 'malt diastase' as an ingredient, the company can't ethically label that product 'gluten free'. From what I've read, anything with the word 'malt' in front of it has been derived from barley. Have you called the company? I sure would ask them how they could label something gluten free if it contains barley.

BURDEE

glutenkiddies Newbie

I would sue em for making your stomach hurt and false labeling :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I would definlty all the company. Maybe they just dont know that malt is gluten...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Wow, I would definitely call and complain. The company is either making a false claim or possibly through the process they put the stuff through makes it ok(kind of like through a distillation process) I don't know but I would definitely call.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I would sue em for making your stomach hurt and false labeling  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: I don't get tummy aches so I'll have to sue them for making me lose 5 lbs that I worked hard to gain and also making me lose more hair! :angry:

I called the company but was told there was noone there to help me...to call back later. <_< Lame. I'm noticing that alot of vitamins and digestive enzymes have the malt diastase in them and also are labeled gluten-free. Maybe you're right Kaiti and somehow they think the gluten doesn't survive some kind of process they put it through. Maybe the malt is from something other than barley??? All I know is I'm being extra strict with my food journal the last few weeks and when I look back the days I got sick were the days I took the vitamins. <_<

HELLO...vitamins are supposed to help my hair grow back...not fall out even more!!!! :blink:

jenvan Collaborator

Rachel-

What brand were your vitamins?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel-

What brand were your vitamins?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The brand is Utrition..

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
The brand is Utrition..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use that brand too....and they are gluten free from the info I have found out.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I use that brand too....and they are gluten free from the info I have found out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does yours contain malt diastase too? I'm still going to call them and find out what that is cuz I feel like the vitamins are what was making me sick. I havent had any gluten-like symptoms since I stopped taking them....it took a week to recover but I'm good now. My hair stopped falling out so much too. :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator

It could have *only* been the vitamins or Garden of Eatin chips which aren't guaranteed gluten-free anymore because of cross-contamination. Is it more likely the chips?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, mine do say malt diastase on the label and they guaranteed it was free of gluten when we called to. I think I will call and ask specifically about that though.

The chips could be a possibility from a gluten standpoint or if there is something else in them you are sensitive too.

VydorScope Proficient

Fouds this...

Malt Diastase

Malt diastase is a carbohydrolytic enzyme useful for digestive support and general nutrition support. Malt diastase is characterized by the ability to break down amylose and other polysaccharides. The enzyme works with amylase and glucoamylase to digest carbohydrate rich foods such as grains as well as malt, maltose, and sugars. Malt diastase is also known as maltase. It is produced by the cells lining the small intestine.

Its not froma grain source if thats right.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Malt diastase is also known as maltase

I didn't know that it was also known as maltase- but to my belief that is ok... bad name huh?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Good job VydorScope!!

So I guess that mystery is solved and I'll have to blame something else for my hairloss. <_<

Well I think I'm still a little terrified of the vitamins so I'll look for another brand. This one tastes so good though...almost like pineapple. :D

• 4 months later...
CarlaB Enthusiast

I felt bad today so did a search on malt diastase because I found it in my new digestive enzymes and wondered if it was what made me ill. I found this old thread, but did some more research and discovered where they actually get malt diastase from. I guess it is also produced in the intestines from what was posted before, but this is the process I found that they use to make it as an ingredient.

Malting - Steep barley in cold water for 2 to 3 days, draining water roughly once a day. The slowly stir the barley. As the wet grain comes in contact with the air, germination begins. This process creates enzymes, malt diastase being one of these, is responsible for turning starch into sugar. After about six days of germination, the barley can be considered as malt.

I just thought I'd pass the info on.

jerseyangel Proficient

I wanted to say two things here--this is the thread I stumbled on last fall when I was looking up malt diastase on the internet. It led me to the forum--the rest is history :lol: .

The other is, so is it or isn't malt diastase safe? After reading everything here, again, I must be thick--I still can't tell :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I wanted to say two things here--this is the thread I stumbled on last fall when I was looking up malt diastase on the internet. It led me to the forum--the rest is history :lol: .

The other is, so is it or isn't malt diastase safe? After reading everything here, again, I must be thick--I still can't tell :(

Ahhh...so thats how you stumbled onto the site. :)

I think we had decided back then that the malt diastase was safe after all. Kaiti was taking those same vitamins with the malt diastase and never had a problem. I had a problem but in case noones noticed by now...I have problems with *lots* of things. :rolleyes: Lots of products list malt diastase as an ingredient but are also labeled gluten-free.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Rachel--I ended up discontinuing the digestive enzymes that had the malt diastase in them. Not because they made me sick, just to be safe.

key Contributor

I saw this post and was just wondering the same thing about the enzymes I just started taking. I too have been suffering the past few days I have been taking them. I think we really need to know the truth about this. It isn't fair for people to take something that says gluten free on it when it isn't. How do we find out the scoop. Has anyone called yet?

Let me know.

I will call too.

Monica

• 5 months later...
kirs10 Newbie

Hi. This is my very first post here!

Yeah, ok...anyway...

I'm researching the whole "malt diastase" question as well. Please update this thread if you know of ANY digestive enzyme supplement that safely has this ingredient in it. I (very sadly) just discovered that MY supplement contains it as well. Argh. I'm so not going to be happy if it IS from barley in my specific brand...

Archived