This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When I Get Glutened, This Works For Me...

cornbread

cornbread Explorer

edit: can this be moved to the 'coping with' section?

Hi guys,

I've been officially gluten-free for 4 months (and recently became CF too). I'm as careful as can be but of course sometimes still get glutened (or caseined!). For me the worst effects of this are the severe fatigue, irritability, depression and the brain fog - the feeling that I'm not really 'there' and if you told me today was a dream, I would believe you. This usually lasts for about 5 days. Urg!

Anyway, I've been desperately searching for something I can take during these times to cut through the fog a little. I've tried all sorts of things (vitamins, supplements, etc.), but recently stumbled upon something called ENADAlert. Basically it's NADH in a sublingual form (dissolves under your tongue). According to what I've read, your body produces the NADH coenzyme naturally. If cellular levels of NADH are depleted, brain and muscle cells lose their ability to function effectively. So taking extra NADH tops up that supply, and in my personal experience taking 2 or 3 of these (10mg per pill) brought me out of the deepest pits of gluten-fog hell in under an hour. I can't remember any 'boost' as such, I just suddenly noticed myself engaging in conversation again, making jokes and feeling like my old happy, alert self, whereas when I'm glutened I don't want to even make eye contact and avoid all conversation. The great thing is, this seemed to banish the fog for good. It didn't come back, so what was normally a 5 day experience ended up only ruining my morning. The pills are sold for jet-lag, hard work-outs, etc. They are meant to promote energy, enhance mood, support memory function, which they did for me, but the way they dissolved the underwater/brain fog feeling was the most astonishing thing.

They are natural and gluten/dairy free, no caffeine or anything either, just NADH. They are quite expensive (I get mine at Whole Foods and they are $18 for a box of 8 I think), but considering I get 2 or 3 'get out of gluten hell free' passes per box, they are well worth it! :lol: Also, I've seen them online much cheaper, like $10, so I will source them elsewhere from now on.

Anyway, I hope posting this helps at least one person - and I apologise in advance if this doesn't work as well for you as it did for me. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I haven't heard of this yet. Any idea what is in it, or what it is?

Nancy

cornbread Explorer

It's just NADH - that's what is in it. It's a coenzyme made from vitamin B2 (niacin).

From Open Original Shared Link

"Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NADH, is a coenzyme made from vitamin B2, or niacin. It’s present in all living cells. As a coenzyme, NADH serves an important role in helping enzymes to function as they should. (An enzyme is a protein that works like a catalyst in the body to prompt chemical changes in other substances; breaking down food into energy is an example.) Most coenzymes are synthesized from vitamins, and for optimal energy production, the body needs good amounts of them. The coenzyme, NADH, is no exception.

In people, NADH stimulates the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), a compound that regulates the release of energy stored in cells. The more NADH a cell has, the more chemical energy it produces.

Research findings indicate that increased concentrations of NADH in the brain may boost the production of neurotransmitters brain chemicals vital to sound mental function.

Until recently, NADH could only be given intravenously because stomach acid would rapidly destroy the delicate molecule. But a new enteric-coated, oral tablet containing NADH is now available.

Health Benefits

Oral NADH supplementation has been used to combat simple fatigue as well as such mysterious and energy-sapping disorders as chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Researchers are also studying the value of NADH supplements for improving mental function in people with Alzheimer's disease, and minimizing physical disability and relieving depression in people with Parkinson's disease.

Some healthy individuals also take NADH supplements orally to improve concentration and memory capacity, as well as to increase athletic endurance. However, to date there have been no published studies to indicate that using NADH is in any way effective or safe for these purposes.

Specifically, NADH may help to:

Relieve chronic fatigue syndrome. A recent study supported by the Food and Drug Administration found that the oral form of NADH helped a small group of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. In the study, 31% of the participants said they felt more vigorous and mentally alert when taking daily NADH. Only 8% of those taking the placebo reported such improvements.

Lift general fatigue as well as fibromyalgia-related exhaustion. Because NADH increases energy in cells, some researchers speculate that it may also boost energy in people with fibromyalgia, a disorder characterized by muscle pain and fatigue. NADH may also keep simple, daily fatigue at bay by helping to supply muscle cells with energy.

Relieve depression. Imbalances in brain chemicals are a primary cause of certain types of depression. Because NADH stimulates the production of many key chemicals called neurotransmitters, it may have a role to play in relieving the symptoms of depression. No clinical trials to demonstrate this effect have been conducted so far, however.

Complement Parkinson's therapy. There is early evidence that NADH supplements may raise levels of dopamine, a compound crucial to slowing the physical symptoms of Parkinson's disease and relieving the depression that often accompanies them. (People with Parkinson’s disease have dwindling supplies of dopamine.)

Improve Alzheimer's symptoms. Some European studies of NADH have shown promise for treating people with Alzheimer's disease, but as of yet, no well-designed double-blind, placebo-controlled trials have been conducted to demonstrate this effect. One preliminary study did show that cognitive dysfunction improved in a very small group of Alzheimer's patients taking NADH."

:)

elonwy Enthusiast

I am a big believer in B vitamins, wierd thing is Niacin is B3, Riboflavin is B2.

Niacin is whats in Red Bull, makes your blood cells absorb more oxygen ( and acohol, depending on usage). Figures it would make you think better.

I'm going to try a full B-Complex.

Elonwy

aikiducky Apprentice

I took a vitamin B complex that has B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folic acid and a few other things I don't know English names for :) for quite some time. Nowadays I don't feel like I need it (gluten-free for a year) but I take one or two when I get badly glutened. It helps a lot with the mind fog and, though not so dramatically, the fatigue.

Pauliina

LLCoolJD Newbie

They drilled me on NADH back in biochemistry class :wacko: I don't see how it could be harmful if taken as a supplement, but I'd think that NADH is something that your body produces more or less flawlessly with adequate nutrition. It's just so fundamental to your metabolism.

I'm all for experimenting with new treatments, though. If this could possibly benefit those with neurological issues, then I'm all for further testing. Especially since NADH supplementation seems so innocuous.

artmeg55 Newbie

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to get some and try it too. Wish I had some right now! That's the great thing about this message board, getting and sharing advice!

Meg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived